Lazy or Sensible?

MickinMD

My sister-in-law phoned me and and asked, "Remember when I told you we were getting (son) Adam a Chromebook for Christmas and you said that if he needed any accessories to let you know and you'd get them?  Well, it doesn't come with a physical keyboard.  There's one I'm sure he would like at Best Buy that's about $40.  Would you get it?"

So I replied, "That's fine.  But I'm afraid of picking up the wrong one.  IF you'll buy it, let me know and I'll give you the cash you spent for it. If it's more than $40 that's fine, too"

She said fine.  I hope she doesn't think I'm putting the job on her to get out of making the buy myself.

But this way I don't see a disappointed look on Christmas morning because I picked up the wrong keyboard.  Does that make sense?

• Heart 1

Given the circumstances it’s reasonable.  Unless your sister doesn’t have the cash to upfront the cost, I don’t see a problem with it.

Now my MIL would tell my wife to just buy stuff the kids would like and let her know what she owes her.  So we’d shop & wrap the gifts and get screwed.  That’s taking advantage....  

26 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

My sister-in-law phoned me and and asked, "Remember when I told you we were getting (son) Adam a Chromebook for Christmas and you said that if he needed any accessories to let you know and you'd get them?  Well, it doesn't come with a physical keyboard.  There's one I'm sure he would like at Best Buy that's about $40.  Would you get it?"

So I replied, "That's fine.  But I'm afraid of picking up the wrong one.  IF you'll buy it, let me know and I'll give you the cash you spent for it. If it's more than $40 that's fine, too"

She said fine.  I hope she doesn't think I'm putting the job on her to get out of making the buy myself.

But this way I don't see a disappointed look on Christmas morning because I picked up the wrong keyboard.  Does that make sense?

Was it a chromebook cube..........as opposed to a chromebook laptop?  Oh my.

If it doesn't have an integrated keyboard then It's not a chromebook laptop.  It is a Chromebox (chrome os desktop cube) that has no more power than the laptop.  It will accept any usb keyboard, mouse and has a connection for an HDMI to an external monitor.

They are typically purchased for schools as it's hard to justify for home use vs the regular chromebook that has everything already built in.

On 12/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, maddmaxx said:

If it doesn't have an integrated keyboard then It's not a chromebook laptop.  It is a Chromebox (chrome os desktop cube) that has no more power than the laptop.  It will accept any usb keyboard, mouse and has a connection for an HDMI to an external monitor.

They are typically purchased for schools as it's hard to justify for home use vs the regular chromebook that has everything already built in.

Pretty much all you say is correct.

There is a Chrome tablet (Pixel) that has no keyboard as well, but all "laptops" and "convertibles" would have keyboards. And the Chromebox seems like a non-starter since a laptop does all the same stuff, is portable, and requires no additional monitor or keyboard.

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Pretty much all you say is correct.

There is a Chrome tablet (Pixel) that has no keyboard as well, but all "laptops" and "convertibles" would have keyboards. And the Chromebox seems like a non-starter since a laptop does all the same stuff, is portable, and requires no additional monitor or keyboard.

Good to know.  :nodhead: