Peleton ad

Dirtyhip

Unless that’s what they ask for. Last year, my wife asked for a Foodi. Nothing else on her list. Luckily, I was able to make it a surprise as they were hard in short supply. She knew it and was starting to make a secondary list. A friend of hers works at a store that sold them. She texted me she set one aside for me. 
A friend wanted a Peloton last year. She would love to ride with us, but with 3 boys in sports, she is executive director of a major charity organization and her hubby is partner and manager of a hotel, she just can’t be with us. The Peloton lets her workout when her schedule allows. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

All advertising is targeted.  If you didn't get it, don't remember it or think it is stupid, you aren't in the demographic. 

Young urban professionals who don't live in the country and have mountain bikes and available trails.  And it's possibly nicer than riding the spin bike at the gym.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Young urban professionals who don't live in the country and have mountain bikes and available trails.  And it's possibly nicer than riding the spin bike at the gym.

It is a lot nicer than the spin bike at the gym.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Years ago my good friend gave his wife one of those gimmicky ab things for her bday.  I thought she was gonna chuck it at his head!

He caught hell for that for years.

That is kinda what I was referring to.  Seems like a poor choice of a gift and a strange ad.  

I wouldn't want a vacuum cleaner for a gift, either.  

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Wow, you are picky!:rolleyes:

HAHA.  Yes.  

15 minutes ago, dennis said:

What about a nice cast iron pan?

He lets me choose my kitchen things.  Probably out of fear.  With bikes, he just says "I will get you any bike you want. You pick it."  

With gifts, we don't do much of that.  We do little gifts for each other, but the big ticket items we tend to choose for ourselves.  Makes it easy to be happy.  

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

There is a guy on twitter (Clue Heywood)  who has  made some deliciously snarky comments on twitter (although his usual tweets are about dive bars).  He had a funny tweet about this ad and the woman who chronicled her grueling yearlong journey from 114 pounds to 112. 

I doubt the girl in the ad goes 100# unless the eye makeup puts her over.

54 minutes ago, Kirby said:

HAHA.  The vid by Eva is hilarious. and spot on.  The ad is not a good idea.  

I wonder what people would say if a woman bought her husband a stationary bike.  Like, get off the couch and get rid of that beer gut, Mr.  HAHA

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

HAHA.  Yes.  

He lets me choose my kitchen things.  Probably out of fear.  With bikes, he just says "I will get you any bike you want. You pick it."  

With gifts, we don't do much of that.  We do little gifts for each other, but the big ticket items we tend to choose for ourselves.  Makes it easy to be happy.  

So if he broke from the norm and bought you a cast iron pan(assuming you did not own one), would you be happy or chuck it at his head?

Just now, dennis said:

So if he broke the mold and bought you a cast iron pan(assuming you did not own one), would you be happy or chuck it at his head?

I would never chuck anything at him.  If he bought me a lodge, I would be bummed, because that would mean that he doesn't listen to what I talk about.  If he bought me a type of cast iron that I prefer, I would be happy, cause Y'know  ... listening.

Honestly though, he would never gift me chore related things, unless I specifically asked for it.  

9 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

That is kinda what I was referring to.  Seems like a poor choice of a gift and a strange ad.  

I wouldn't want a vacuum cleaner for a gift, either.  

Fine, then I will just cancel that order and you will get nothing this year then.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

"The commercial goes on to show the woman obsessively documenting her biking journey"   Isn't this what all of us cyclists do on FB and Strava? :D

• Heart 1

Obviously, it’s important to know your spouse. If they’re an outdoor exercise enthusiast, they probably won’t like an indoor, stationary bike. If they’re sedentary and weight conscious, it wouldn’t make a good gift. But if they’re a fitness enthusiast who struggles to find time for the gym in the midst of their hectic day, it’s actually a pretty considerate gift. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Obviously, it’s important to know your spouse. If they’re an outdoor exercise enthusiast, they probably won’t like an indoor, stationary bike. If they’re sedentary and weight conscious, it wouldn’t make a good gift. But if they’re a fitness enthusiast who struggles to find time for the gym in the midst of their hectic day, it’s actually a pretty considerate gift. 

There are other stationary bikes that are very good yet don't require you to sign up for a financing plan.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

There are other stationary bikes that are very good yet don't require you to sign up for a financing plan.

Isn’t also the monthly subscription for the interactive aspect of it?

My LBS owner friend has one in the shop but I really haven’t paid it much mind.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Isn’t also the monthly subscription for the interactive aspect of it?

My LBS owner friend has one in the shop but I really haven’t paid it much mind.

Yes.  If you want the interactive part, you are setting yourself up for a monthly bill as long as you want to do that.  Zwift, etc.  I believe you can ride it fine without any monthly bill.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Man gives his wife an exercise bike for Xmas.  LOL

The ad is ridiculous.  Is that like giving a wife a gym membership? or a weight watchers membership.  EEKS.  Run away, gal.

I love the Peloton ads.  It must be really aspirational for the women out there to get their shit together and start aiming to be like the ladies in the ads.

Both my brothers just got Pelotons.  Neither are cyclists.  I get a chuckle out of it (it's their money), but I found it interesting that they are now entering "mainstream" consciousness.  Nutso.

...if you look at her position on that exercise bike, and figure out what the long term effects of regularly spinning that fast in that body position will have on your overall physiology after three or four weeks, you can predict that there will be a lot of these going up for sale, used, at deep discount prices in the next couple of years. The only time she's not too far back is when she's standing up. Some enterprising exercise coach/trainer is gonna make a business niche out of doing home fittings for those things.

2 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

Then her insecurities set in and she questions why you don’t love her enough to get her a peloton. :dontknow:

It’s stupid expensive, but that doesn’t inherently make it a bad gift. Unless you expect her to get a second job/work overtime for the monthly fees or otherwise impact the family budget. Then it’s a terrible gift.

32 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...if you look at her position on that exercise bike, and figure out what the long term effects of regularly spinning that fast in that body position will have on your overall physiology after three or four weeks, you can predict that there will be a lot of these going up for sale, used, at deep discount prices in the next couple of years. The only time she's not too far back is when she's standing up. Some enterprising exercise coach/trainer is gonna make a business niche out of doing home fittings for those things.

Have you been to a spin class?  I think that's pretty common "form" and those have been around for a decade or more for some participants.

31 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

..if I had to ride indoors, I'd never ride at all. 

+10000000!

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Have you been to a spin class?  I think that's pretty common "form" and those have been around for a decade or more for some participants.

+10000000!

Spin classes should have trained instructors there to correct any form issues noted in the class. I was a certified spin instructor for 11 years. Peloton’s business plan is to make money off of the subscriptions not the sale or financing of the bikes. Most will become clothes hangers by March.

3 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Peloton’s business plan is to make money off of the subscriptions not the sale or financing of the bikes. Most will become clothes hangers by March.

I agree wholeheartedly.  The fate of most exercise equipment (real bikes included) is to become a clothes hanger. :(