Peleton ad

Dirtyhip

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

She isn't hated.  Not even a little bit.

It was the tone of the ad.  Her husband buying the Peleton and her eagerness to please him.  The last scene where she looks nervous sitting next to him and they are watching her video diary ...she looks desperate to seek his approval.  Like, look I used your gift and please approve of me. It's a strange tone.  Not sure why she was nervous to use the thing.  

I am definitely not alone for how this ad was received by many

Yes.  Hated.  Looked down on, ridiculed, followed and even tracked to other ad's she's done.  The internet does not forgive those below us.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would still be happy to have gotten a peloton or similar for Christmas, if the gift was coming from the right place.  Something like "You are well-marbled and full of unhealthy heft, and I want you to live longer" is reasonable, even if unpleasant to hear despite the truthfulness of it.  "Get to work, fatty, I want to bang the guy you used to be instead of the tubbo you have become" is also fine, just on the frankness of it all.

I do have a question about Peloton and the effectiveness of the ad, though.  How much did the ad raise awareness of the product for you?

I have not really been keeping up with indoor bikes so much, so I did get a much better idea of what they were selling and what the products did.  I would be happy having one, but this brings up another question.   Wouldn't I be just as happy with a big-ass tv so I could watch movies instead of some small screen with spin instructors?

Hugely so.  I didn't know about it before. I would never buy it, because I don't like stationary bikes so much. We do have a rower and I enjoy that a lot.  The subscription plan turns me off.  Monthly dues to exercise without the luxury of a well equipped gym?  No thank you. 

Wow.  That Aviation gin commercial, haha.  It seems to keep the story going.  Very timely.  "To new beginnings," and "You look great by the way."  Advertisers know what they are doing.  Which begs the question.  Did they purposely pose her as so eager to please him, almost in a neurotic way?  Make people talk about their product?  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  I did post my previous reply in jest to play with DH, but you and everyone who agrees with that sentiment needs to have their heads examined.  Women (and men) have to please their spouses, this is simply fact and I am not sure how that could even be questioned.  Some get a pass based on gender?  No way.

Glad you feel that way, make sure you raise your daughter to honor men.  Start teaching how to slut it up a little too.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Glad you feel that way, make sure you raise your daughter to honor men.  Start teaching how to slut it up a little too.

She will know that no one gets a pass.  You must please the people around you as much as they please you, which is why you enjoy spending time with others.

She knows I do things for her, and that I expect her to behave in certain ways, too.  Nobody gets a pass based on gender, everybody has a hard life, everybody has to choose to be together, and at some point, you don't have to be with others for reasons other than choice.  If you behave like a complete tool or a bitch, people don't have to be around you.

This should be taught in schools.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

She will know that no one gets a pass.  You must please the people around you as much as they please you, which is why you enjoy spending time with others.

She knows I do things for her, and that I expect her to behave in certain ways, too.  Nobody gets a pass based on gender, everybody has a hard life, everybody has to choose to be together, and at some point, you don't have to be with others for reasons other than choice.  If you behave like a complete tool or a bitch, people don't have to be around you.

YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG!

I thought I'd take a page from your book of if I yell I must be right.

You are wrong though.  Women are held to a higher standard.  It's mostly self imposed, but still unfair.

35 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Did they purposely pose her as so eager to please him, almost in a neurotic way?  Make people talk about their product?  

I think it was either the plan to mystify the world (worked on me), or hastily shot with bad direction.  I want to think it was at least partially planned, or maybe it just had to be that way.  

Consider that if she was a fattie at the start of the year and popped out thin at the end, then they would be called out for fat-shaming.  If she was not so fat but misshapen, then it might piss off the potato people who are their potential customers.  I am guessing that guys buy 90% of the pelotons sold, so they probably felt that it would have been hard if the wife got it for the dude, unless he was a complete cyclist already.

My guess is that all of the above conspired for the perfect storm.  The overall effect is genius in doing what advertising is supposed to do, though.

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG!

I thought I'd take a page from your book of if I yell I must be right.

You are wrong though.  Women are held to a higher standard.  It's mostly self imposed, but still unfair.

WRONG!  Women are held to different standards, the standards we are held to are just as stringent as women's only different.  It might feel like you get the benefit of the doubt in many situations because you do, and women have the benefit of the doubt in many others.  This is just he way it is.  We can choose to focus only on what seems hard for others or choose to focus only on what seems hard for us, but the population must be aware of the give and take nature of society and not be so myopic/narcissistic spectrually.  It is a hard knock life for all.

I like the use of caps, btw!  I have people at work doing it, too.  Everybody laughs and does it, good fun!

I think life is hard for both sexes.  Men are under a lot of stress to protect and make a decent living for the family. Women are expected to care for the home and family.  The thing where it is slanted is that women are generally looked at for home keeping.  If the house is a mess, people look at the wife as a slacker and women are working long hours along side of men.  If a women is tough and strong, she is seen as a bitch.  If a man is strong it is seen as a positive trait.  Men can sleep around and he is a stud.  A women is seen as a slut for the same behavior.  That is skewed.  Women have to work full time these days to make ends meet.  So, she is birthing babies, working, and slaving to keep home tidy and her man fed well.  That is a lot of stress.  She needs to scurry back to work after birthing a child, which is a significant medical event.  This is mostly due to income stagnation, IMO. Incomes have not kept up with inflation.  People were able to thrive on a one income family.  That is over and done with.  You can't do that these days unless you have one person with a hugely successful job AND have low expenses.  Healthcare, child expenses, home prices have all soared beyond the rise in income. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think life is hard for both sexes.  Men are under a lot of stress to protect and make a decent living for the family. Women are expected to care for the home and family.  The thing where it is slanted is that women are generally looked at for home keeping.  If the house is a mess, people look at the wife as a slacker and women are working long hours along side of men.  If a women is tough and strong, she is seen as a bitch.  If a man is strong it is seen as a positive trait.  Men can sleep around and he is a stud.  A women is seen as a slut for the same behavior.  That is skewed.  Women have to work full time these days to make ends meet.  So, she is birthing babies, working, and slaving to keep home tidy and her man fed well.  That is a lot of stress.  She needs to scurry back to work after birthing a child, which is a significant medical event.  This is mostly due to income stagnation, IMO. Incomes have not kept up with inflation.  People were able to thrive on a one income family.  That is over and done with.  You can't do that these days unless you have one person with a hugely successful job AND have low expenses.  Healthcare, child expenses, home prices have all soared beyond the rise in income. 

YOU ARE WRONGER THAN WRONG!!!

@Randomguy asked me to say that.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

...I have always done the bulk of the cooking in my relationship, as well as the bulk of the shopping.  Both of us worked, but I am just better at food.  Also I eat more of it than does she. So this seems pretty fair to me. As for inflation and all the rest of this statement, I have no idea, being a rich, retired Boomer with no sense of fairness or justice.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

3 hours ago, Randomguy said:

....I don't know about the honoring men part, but slutting it up is definitely taught and learned in school.

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2019 at 1:06 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I never noticed all those nuances until it became news. I just remember thinking "that is weird. A mainstream 'spensive ad for the small number of Sirius bikers who are the only ones likely to want that."  

A few people at work have a Peloton and are fanatical in talking about it.  But none of them were ever serious cyclists. I don't recall any of them ever talking about riding a bike before they got the Peloton.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

A few people at work have a Peloton and are fanatical in talking about it.  But none of them were ever serious cyclists. I don't recall any of them ever talking about riding a bike before they got the Peloton.

Well in that case it is a wonderful thing!  Hard to believe they'd spend over $2000 plus $39 a month though!

57 minutes ago, Kirby said:

so Peleton is the new Crossfit? 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Goat Geddah said:

People sure are reading a lot into the ad.   Silly.

She knew what it was as soon as she saw it.  I am thinking the assumption they were going with was she asked for a peloton.  You need to get more triggered, Goat. :) 

Infamous 'Peloton wife' now appears in ad for Ryan Reynolds' gin company – and it's hilarious

Updated 9:04 pm EST Dec. 8, 2019

Actor Ryan Reynolds is giving Peloton's controversial bike ad a different ending. 

When we first met the now infamous Peloton wife, played by actress Monica Ruiz, she was "changed" after a year of riding her exercise bike, gifted to her by her husband. That change was supposedly positive, though the internet didn't seem to agree. Many on Twitter called the ad offensive

Now, Reynolds and Ruiz are capitalizing on the controversy with an advertisement for Reynolds' liquor company, Aviation Gin.  

"Exercise bike not included," he captioned the video on Twitter, which portrays the same woman at a bar drinking with two girlfriends. Her Peloton husband does not make an appearance.

The new ad starts with Ruiz staring blankly ahead.

Compared to the energetic persona she played in the Peloton ad, she looks worse for wear.

"This gin is really smooth," she eventually says. "Yeah," her girlfriends reply, before offering to get her another drink if she would like one.

"You're safe here," one of them says to her. 

She nods. "To new beginnings," she says determinedly, raising her glass and toasting with her friends before taking down the remainder of her drink. Her friend passes her over her own beverage.

The scene cuts to a shot of a bottle of Aviation Gin and you hear one of them tell her, "You look great, by the way!"

Peloton, which released the advertisement a few weeks ago, had dubbed the Peloton bike to be "The Gift That Gives Back," Reynolds, on the other hand, called his ad "The Gift That Doesn't Give Back" on YouTube. 

After seeing the original Peloton ad, people expressed their distaste on Twitter: Several said that buying unwanted exercise equipment was a quick way to end a relationship, and others criticized the ad for being offensive. 

Twitter user @PepperGii called the original ad "real disturbing" and commented about the message that came across: "Ladies, exercise harder/be thinner for your man and then thank him for it."

As for Reynolds' jab at the exercise bike company, social media users are responding well.

User John Brookhouse wrote on Twitter that the Aviation Gin ad is "Quite possibly the greatest response to a messed up commercial EVER!"

And @Pevenly1 wrote that "I don't even drink gin, but I'll buy a bottle of it to keep on hand just for the brilliance of this commercial, alone."

Another user noticed a subtle, but possibly very telling detail at the end of the video. Andrew Hyde pointed out that she was not wearing a wedding ring in the Aviation Gin ad.

Through LA Talent, Ruiz told Deadline that she was "shocked and overwhelmed" by the attention that came with the ad, particularly the negative attention. 

“I was happy to accept a job opportunity earlier this year from Peloton and the team was lovely to work with. Although I’m an actress, I am not quite comfortable being in spotlight and I’m terrible on social media," Ruiz said. “When Ryan and his production team called about Aviation Gin, they helped me find some humor in the situation. I am grateful to both Peloton and now Aviation Gin for the work and giving me the opportunity to do what I love to do.”   

The actor who played Peloton husband, Sean Hunter, spoke to Good Morning America about the ad.

"People turned down a pretty dark path, it turned into a pretty nasty thing," Hunter said. 

"My image is being associated with sexism, with the patriarchy, with abuse, for example," he said. "That's not who I am."

Peloton is far from the first: A list of 2019's controversial ads, branded messaging

Peloton: Offers a good holiday shopping exercise for thinking before buying

Other outlets just
deliver news.

The USA TODAY app lets you pick
specific topics, people and players
to get only the news you want to know.

get our free app

Originally Published 2:23 pm EST Dec. 7, 2019

**Updated 9:04 pm EST Dec. 8, 2019**

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Infamous 'Peloton wife' now appears in ad for Ryan Reynolds' gin company – and it's hilarious

Updated 9:04 pm EST Dec. 8, 2019

Actor Ryan Reynolds is giving Peloton's controversial bike ad a different ending. 

When we first met the now infamous Peloton wife, played by actress Monica Ruiz, she was "changed" after a year of riding her exercise bike, gifted to her by her husband. That change was supposedly positive, though the internet didn't seem to agree. Many on Twitter called the ad offensive

Now, Reynolds and Ruiz are capitalizing on the controversy with an advertisement for Reynolds' liquor company, Aviation Gin.  

"Exercise bike not included," he captioned the video on Twitter, which portrays the same woman at a bar drinking with two girlfriends. Her Peloton husband does not make an appearance.

The new ad starts with Ruiz staring blankly ahead.

Compared to the energetic persona she played in the Peloton ad, she looks worse for wear.

"This gin is really smooth," she eventually says. "Yeah," her girlfriends reply, before offering to get her another drink if she would like one.

"You're safe here," one of them says to her. 

She nods. "To new beginnings," she says determinedly, raising her glass and toasting with her friends before taking down the remainder of her drink. Her friend passes her over her own beverage.

The scene cuts to a shot of a bottle of Aviation Gin and you hear one of them tell her, "You look great, by the way!"

Peloton, which released the advertisement a few weeks ago, had dubbed the Peloton bike to be "The Gift That Gives Back," Reynolds, on the other hand, called his ad "The Gift That Doesn't Give Back" on YouTube. 

After seeing the original Peloton ad, people expressed their distaste on Twitter: Several said that buying unwanted exercise equipment was a quick way to end a relationship, and others criticized the ad for being offensive. 

Twitter user @PepperGii called the original ad "real disturbing" and commented about the message that came across: "Ladies, exercise harder/be thinner for your man and then thank him for it."

As for Reynolds' jab at the exercise bike company, social media users are responding well.

User John Brookhouse wrote on Twitter that the Aviation Gin ad is "Quite possibly the greatest response to a messed up commercial EVER!"

And @Pevenly1 wrote that "I don't even drink gin, but I'll buy a bottle of it to keep on hand just for the brilliance of this commercial, alone."

Another user noticed a subtle, but possibly very telling detail at the end of the video. Andrew Hyde pointed out that she was not wearing a wedding ring in the Aviation Gin ad.

Through LA Talent, Ruiz told Deadline that she was "shocked and overwhelmed" by the attention that came with the ad, particularly the negative attention. 

“I was happy to accept a job opportunity earlier this year from Peloton and the team was lovely to work with. Although I’m an actress, I am not quite comfortable being in spotlight and I’m terrible on social media," Ruiz said. “When Ryan and his production team called about Aviation Gin, they helped me find some humor in the situation. I am grateful to both Peloton and now Aviation Gin for the work and giving me the opportunity to do what I love to do.”   

The actor who played Peloton husband, Sean Hunter, spoke to Good Morning America about the ad.

"People turned down a pretty dark path, it turned into a pretty nasty thing," Hunter said. 

"My image is being associated with sexism, with the patriarchy, with abuse, for example," he said. "That's not who I am."

Peloton is far from the first: A list of 2019's controversial ads, branded messaging

Peloton: Offers a good holiday shopping exercise for thinking before buying

Other outlets just
deliver news.

The USA TODAY app lets you pick
specific topics, people and players
to get only the news you want to know.

get our free app

Originally Published 2:23 pm EST Dec. 7, 2019

**Updated 9:04 pm EST Dec. 8, 2019**

Sad to hear people go overboard.  I do think the gin ad was funny, after the reception received by many in the Peleton ad.

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

·
Dec 7

Pretty cool that there's a commercial about this lady and her two friends that helped her murder her husband and sink the body to the bottom of a lake, anchored by a $3,000 bike.

See, everybody feels safe talking about the murder of the guy.  Wouldn’t people be completely up in arms if the genders were reversed?  Ok to kill guys, not ok for women  

This toxic femininity must be stopped!

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

See, everybody feels safe talking about the murder of the guy.  Wouldn’t people be completely up in arms if the genders were reversed?  Ok to kill guys, not ok for women  

This toxic femininity must be stopped!

Not ok to kill anyone.  IMHO, people are goig nutty over this.  I thought the ad was lame and had a strange message.  Where it has gone with things like this is even worse than the original ad.

Society makes me sad, at times.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not ok to kill anyone.  IMHO, people are goig nutty over this.  I thought the ad was lame and had a strange message.  Where it has gone with things like this is even worse than the original ad.

Just trying to keep this going.  I liked the ad, and I like the gin ad.  Real guys don’t fuss over silliness like ‘toxic femininity’, that stuff is for bitter folks. 

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What are we talking about here???? A TV commercial?  Hmm.  Seems like this ad buy trumped any sort of Super Bowl multi-million dollar spot, eh?

Yes, the publicity they received from their spending is sure to break advertising records.  I hope they let us know how it ultimately affects units sold. 

17 hours ago, Kirby said:

+1.

Both my brothers recently bought Pelotons. Neither are remotely "cyclists".  Not even interested in anything but a beach cruiser sort of ride.

My neighbor has the Peloton bike and added the Peloton treadmill as well. He is absolutely not a "cyclist" nor a "runner". 

Others I know are like that as well, so I don't think there is a big overlap of "cyclists" and Pelotoneers.  I think most cyclist go the roller or smart trainer route if forced to ride inside.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yes, the publicity they received from their spending is sure to break advertising records.  I hope they let us know how it ultimately affects units sold. 

I doubt that's the sort of thing they will share :(  But, all publicity is good publicity :D and for a niche product in a niche market, they have to try to stand out from the rest. I see NordicTrack ads now for their spin bike. It is an odd space in the exercise equipment world, since there have been spin bikes and various other exercise bikes in gyms for decades.  All probably get less use than treadmills and ellipticals, so I only see Peloton as being "distinct" due to its "spin class in your home gym" aspect, and they have worked to expand that off of the machine to other classes like general aerobics, yoga, etc..  I'd be interested to see how they expand and catch on with the non-equipment buying crowd. That's the real growth market but also one with other competitors.

image.thumb.png.6d9f148717ea6c78f77a11ba7fa61cd7.png

image.thumb.png.8213972db53872fb445d4c3d63a7066f.png

I've seen the up tic in the volume of Nordic Track ads, too. I assume riding the coat tails of the Peloton notoriety. It looks to me like just the addition of some sort of interaction during exercise. It's like all those weirdos who watch ride videos in their basement in front of a box fan while on their trainer. Crazy stuff. :P

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

The internet never forgives or forgets.  It is society at it's ................... mmmm should I put best or worst here?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I doubt that's the sort of thing they will share :(  But, all publicity is good publicity :D and for a niche product in a niche market, they have to try to stand out from the rest. I see NordicTrack ads now for their spin bike. It is an odd space in the exercise equipment world, since there have been spin bikes and various other exercise bikes in gyms for decades.  All probably get less use than treadmills and ellipticals, so I only see Peloton as being "distinct" due to its "spin class in your home gym" aspect, and they have worked to expand that off of the machine to other classes like general aerobics, yoga, etc..  I'd be interested to see how they expand and catch on with the non-equipment buying crowd. That's the real growth market but also one with other competitors.

image.thumb.png.6d9f148717ea6c78f77a11ba7fa61cd7.png

image.thumb.png.8213972db53872fb445d4c3d63a7066f.png

I bought an online yoga membership.  I don't think that advertising or trends brought me there.  It had more to do with PT and the need for learning to stretch more often and more focused with that.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I bought an online yoga membership.  I don't think that advertising or trends brought me there.  It had more to do with PT and the need for learning to stretch more often and more focused with that.

And, if you had went with the Peloton app, you could integrate that into their ecosystem of products and hot babe qualified instructors.

It's the question that is often asked on the business shows - is this a tech play or a more traditional business sector thing.  The tech stuff always gets that higher valuation.

Whew.

I looked into high tech trainers before I got the treadmill.

There are some threads about them at BF. The upshot is that while it's good, serious cyclists can do better for less. Mostly it depends on what your goals are. What works for a competitive cyclist might not be the best product for recreational guys like us.

Anyway, if you're curious, check out those BF threads.