Could you be happy living in a double wide trailer?

Dottleshead

My wife and I have been talking about maybe selling our place.  We just got in it about 3 years ago but it's already appreciated so well that we may cash in and downsize.  It's just the two of us, no kids, and nothing to leave.  I've never ruled out a manufactured home but I wanted to trade off with some land.  I still think that's the most likely scenario I would do it.  I'm not trying to be offensive at all to those of you who currently live in a manufactured home.  My point is we would be selling an almost 2100 sq/ft home and 'downsizing' and probably giving up more yard.

But my wife surprised me when she found this.  It's not so much this home (though for resale on manufactured homes -- it's pretty nice) but the monthly payment that I find really appealing.  My current mortgage is literally 4 times this amount.  Not only that, we probably could (would?) put down like 75%, have a payment like an 1/8th of my current mortgage, and we'd own the whole thing in a few years.  I have money set aside for retirement for day to day living no problem but need to own my home before that's going to help. This would give us plenty of cashola to go travel the area, country, world, etc while we're young.  Again, I'm more apt to pay higher for a manufactured home if it has property in a more rural area but that's harder to find as I am still working -- and getting into the city is a chore. 

Take a look at this and honestly, is this something you could live in?

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5711-100th-St-NE-Unit-25_Marysville_WA_98270_M22152-71586?cid=eml_saf_property_detail

We lived in one on an acre of land for about a decade. It was fine. Financing is always an issue with them, even if you have tie downs and the home had been de-titled. Some banks loan and it is a higher rate. I don’t think we would buy one again. 

You have a good idea about being debt free. It is such a great place to be. 

I would not want to live in a park. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I've lived in 2 mobile homes years ago. One was in a trailer park and was OK except for the occasional police siren. The other on a private lot was great. 

Yeah, a private lot would be great.  I was told a good way to do it is buy an older mobile home somewhere you want and then put a newer one on there as it already has the hookups and everything.  I have been out looking at some of them and for $115K you can get some really luxurious ones.  That way you just pay for the removal and setup of the new one.

Just now, Dottie said:

Yeah, a private lot would be great.  I was told a good way to do it is buy an older mobile home somewhere you want and then put a newer one on there as it already has the hookups and everything.  I have been out looking at some of them and for $115K you can get some really luxurious ones.  That way you just pay for the removal and setup of the new one.

A big wooded lot near a lake or some hiking trails would be pretty sweet. Same with by the ocean.  I'm not sure I would choose a double wide assuming I have a normal house in my head as what I wanted, but certainly a double wide or somewhat related pre-fab home could be fine and likely come in all levels of quality and fit & finish.

My Aunt and Uncle had a cool double wide trailer.  My Grandparents had a nice single wide.  It can be like anything, it's what you do with it.  Of course most trailer parks, especially anymore around here tend to be quite trashy, so that doesn't help the perception of them.  But it's like anything, if you maintain it and take care of it, it can be nice, if you don't, it can be a piece of shit quickly.  I've seen million + dollar houses become pieces of shit rather quickly because people don't maintain them, wife and I tried to buy one once even because we loved the neighborhood it was in, but like everyone else that had tried to buy it, couldn't get financing because it wouldn't pass inspection, which is why it was dirt cheap for where it was and almost everything that needed done I could do, but no luck.

33 minutes ago, Dottie said:

My wife and I have been talking about maybe selling our place.  We just got in it about 3 years ago but it's already appreciated so well that we may cash in and downsize.  It's just the two of us, no kids, and nothing to leave.  I've never ruled out a manufactured home but I wanted to trade off with some land.  I still think that's the most likely scenario I would do it.  I'm not trying to be offensive at all to those of you who currently live in a manufactured home.  My point is we would be selling an almost 2100 sq/ft home and 'downsizing' and probably giving up more yard.

But my wife surprised me when she found this.  It's not so much this home (though for resale on manufactured homes -- it's pretty nice) but the monthly payment that I find really appealing.  My current mortgage is literally 4 times this amount.  Not only that, we probably could (would?) put down like 75%, have a payment like an 1/8th of my current mortgage, and we'd own the whole thing in a few years.  I have money set aside for retirement for day to day living no problem but need to own my home before that's going to help. This would give us plenty of cashola to go travel the area, country, world, etc while we're young.  Again, I'm more apt to pay higher for a manufactured home if it has property in a more rural area but that's harder to find as I am still working -- and getting into the city is a chore. 

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5711-100th-St-NE-Unit-25_Marysville_WA_98270_M22152-71586?cid=eml_saf_property_detail

If you could move it to a somewhere where you had a little space around you then it might be appealing.  The lot that it is on in the picture looks too small to me.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Dottie said:

And at that price, you better end up owning the lot, though in most mobile home parks like that, you don't.  You rent the lot and only own the trailer.  That is way to much money for a used trailer if you are renting the lot.

Just now, Mr. Silly said:

If you could move it to a somewhere where you had a little space around you then it might be appealing.  The lot that it is on in the picture looks too small to me.

Yeah, thanks for checking it out.  I'm not interested in that one in particular, per se, but it give you an idea.

Just now, Indy said:

And at that price, you better end up owning the lot, though in most mobile home parks like that, you don't.  You rent the lot and only own the trailer.  That is way to much money for a used trailer if you are renting the lot.

Welcome to the PNW housing market. This is a relief.  

2 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Welcome to the PNW housing market. This is a relief.  

And people wonder why I like the midwest.

Wife and her sister's will make you a deal, all brick one story ranch, metal roof.  $25k would probably take it.

Capture.thumb.JPG.932ed82e8455f448e29a36fb10c3086d.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.12a5caebebe523ac19ea5baf3a5b5792.JPG

Now admittedly, the inside of the house needs almost a full gut job and remodel, but compared to over 100k for a mobile home, it's a steal.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

And people wonder why I like the midwest.

Wife and her sister's will make you a deal, all brick one story ranch, metal roof.  $25k would probably take it.

Now admittedly, the inside of the house needs almost a full gut job and remodel, but compared to over 100k for a mobile home, it's a steal.

No flyover country.

When first married we bought a small very old little mobile home already in a trailer park.  We were fortunate that the park was pretty well run and we had good neighbors (luck of the draw).  We lived in it our first 2 years 81-82 while we bought some land and I built our first house.  It had been very well taken care and we sold it for the same amount we bought it for.  So housing expenses those 2 years while saving a building was equal to utilities and lot rent.

I could live just about anywhere in just about anything but WoKzoo has better standards.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I could live just about anywhere in just about anything but WoKzoo has better standards.

That's me.  My wife totally surprised me when she sent out links to a few manufactured homes.  

Point is, we are better off to go somewhere if we save the cash and move into the place we really want.  I know it's backward thinking for most but we both came out of dreadful condo living and wanted to own our own home.  We've done that and built up equity and now I think it makes sense to move somewhere cheaper and keep building equity.  The amount I save would most likely be more than any rise in real estate.  The market has more or less leveled off here and I doubt we'll see the gains in the last 2 years we've had.  I really like the idea of being relatively debt free.  

• Heart 1

Just now, late said:

Gotta have ocean, mountains, good restaurants, and a little culture.

Culture is the dumbest thing ever mentioned as it's so meaningless because it can mean so many things to different people.

To me, cities lack culture, ability to spend money isn't culture, but that is what so many people seem to imply.  Ability to buy crap that some arbitrary person deems as "culture".

Good restaurants also is a matter of taste.  I prefer good down home cooking.

As for the other, give me green grass, trees, lakes and fresh air.  Again, personal preference but I can't remember the last time we went into the mountains when I am out in Colorado, used to be we would every trip, now it's meh.  Not worth fighting traffic over.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

As for the other, give me green grass, trees, lakes and fresh air.  Again, personal preference but I can't remember the last time we went into the mountains when I am out in Colorado, used to be we would every trip, now it's meh.  Not worth fighting traffic over.

Idaho, Montana, Washington, and Oregon have the Colorado Rockies beat IMHO.  I wouldn't go there either.  

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Ability to buy crap that some arbitrary person deems as "culture".

I don't think that is an accepted definition of "culture".  Think more about art, music, performances, or things like that.  Access to a mall is not considered culture.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't think that is an accepted definition of "culture".  Think more about art, music, performances, or things like that.  Access to a mall is not considered culture.

You can find that anywhere if you just look and I wasn't referring to mall shopping.

Everytime I hear culture used for an area, it seems to be the city buying modern art for way to much money that looks like something someone just pulled out of a salvage yard.  And of course I laugh when it's placed in the middle of a round about and someone drives into it.

Hell yes! We have one down south, but we are not living in it.  It is a nice three bedroom one with fire place, sky lights, etc. Who knows, we may move there in time. Three of us plus dog and cat lived in a 8x43 for many years while going to school in Fort Collins and then a 12x60 from 1970 to 1975 when going to school in Tucson.

• Heart 2