Could you be happy living in a double wide trailer?

Dottleshead

21 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO the trailer would look like paradise compared to some of the places I've lived.

Image result for navy berthing compartment 1970

I took a tour of the USS Iowa which is berthed in San Pedro.  I was amazed how cramped the quarters were.  I may have had to sleep in the mud but wasn’t jam packed in a tin can.  

Honestly I would much rather sleep in the mud.

Ours was on a concrete foundation with tie downs. Axles removed and the unit was de-titled. Standard 36” doors and normal drywall. It was a nice one. Selling it later on was still met with a stigma with listing, insurance and financing. We are happy it sold. We pulled out an ok profit from it. It was a rental for about ten years. They paid off our mortgage on it and didn’t trash it too badly. 

4 hours ago, Dottie said:

Well, it's always the same thing for me.  Look for relief and consider the options.  Double wide on a plot of land somewhere seems great.  But financing those can be tricky because they're considered private property as they can in theory be moved.  Then I think why not pay a little more and get a nicer modular home and put it on a permanent fixture? Getting financing for that would greatly improve.  That sounds like a good idea.  On the surface, I probably could get the same thing I own now for about half the price.  But then I start considering all the hassles of finding property and the mayhem I would have go through to build on site. I'd probably have to hire somebody since I've never done anything like this and I'll be damned if I'm going to really screw my future up.  I read somewhere to get a modular -- often referred to as a prefab home -- is going to cost you between $150K and $315K not including the property and dependent on the sizing and customizations.  Well, you can't get a good piece of property around here for at least $40+K -- and that says nothing of the expenses to pave a driveway, for example, or create and maintain a yard or outside area -- and no fucking shed!!  It also doesn't take into account all the hoops I'd have to jump through.  So then I think just buying a smaller house would be a hecka lot easier and less risky. 

But around here, if I downsize and drop a thousand square feet say, I may be able to get a mortgage for about $100K less.  Well that doesn't take into account the money I'd lose selling this place and the time spent packing up and going to the other place. I'd say off the top I would lose about $20K of equity just to pay the realtor and for moving expenses.  Maybe/probably more.  On a 30 year loan (wait, what?  I'm in my early 50s -- a 30 year puts me into my 70s on best case scenario before I can pay it off), that's about a $400-$600 savings a month. A good chunk of change to be sure but it gets me nowhere closer to owning my own home outright.

The best part?  There's no housing inventory here.  We'd be lucky as hell to find something we both liked in an area we both liked that reduced our square footage by a 1000 ft.  Two or three bedroom ramblers are really, really hard to come by.  We're getting older now and I'm not interested in a house with stairs.  It can be done but it means selling our house and moving in with her mother while we patiently wait and pounce.  Good Lord.  You see what I'm dealing with here?  :)

So I then return back to the double wide  thing and the loop continues.

Nail the door shut on your spare bedroom.

You got smaller house and it didn't cost ya anything.

I know a few people that sold their homes and live in their motorhome traveling from race to race. 

Sell the house buy a one of these and just drive to where it's 82°. If you don't like the neighbor hood...drive to a different one. 

20191205_143529.jpg.05dc3c734ce04142464f18bd5bf1d527.jpg

8 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yeah. Never mind the hanging clothes on the bar above your head and shoes under the cots. And it’s a little narrow.... You and Wo @Dottie have been using the peloton, right? 

Hawaii apart from maybe Maui is not your bike friend. So exercise bike gets scrapped too. It's all about the walking there.