The Mandolin

Prophet Zacharia

47 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Those things scare the crap oot of me.  I start bleeding profusely just looking at them. :D

I have a Kevlar glove I wear when I use mine. It so much faster when you're cooking for a large group. Also much more consistent thickness of slices resulting in even cooking.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Last June I researched kitchen mandolin online reviews for easy of use and cleaning, accuracy in cutting, ability to change thicknesses, safety, etc. and bought this one. I've only used it a couple times for small amounts of stuff, but it works great. It slices from 5/16" thick to about 1 mm. (1/25") with 5 different slicers.  I got it mainly for slicing a large number of scalloped potato slices (about 3/16" thick).

1239898930_MuellerV-ProMandoline2019_12.04Price.thumb.JPG.55508c897e546b5f7d1c65e627268c86.JPG

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CT63964/

I also ordered the cut-resistant gloves below after reading this review on the Mueller Mandolin page: "I give this product a thumb up. I decided to use it for the first time to make scallop potatoes. I stabbed the first potato with the guard and started going to town. The moment I was thinking to myself, “man this thing slices great!” is the moment the potato fumbled, and my thumb learned what it feels like to be a potato. $1700 ER bill later, my thumbs finger print is permanently altered. I had to rescan it for Touch ID. Dinner was eventually finished, and we’ve been using it ever since. Pretty sure this thing will cut meat easily too. Ask me how I know."

They haven't had to save me yet, but give me peace of mind:

291855895_CutResistantGlovesIbought2019_12.04Price.thumb.JPG.a71bade8661a249fde85e8a66d860759.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PT63DQR/

Most of the time it's easier for me to shred cabbage, carrots, cheese, each with a simple box grater and I got these two that come with their own container. I wear the above gloves when I use them:

906037020_BoxGraterOXOGoodGrips17.99Amazon6_29_19.JPG.e22b30c1db521f2ce816f36666b93c38.JPG

989805742_BoxGraterProgressive2-waygratemeasure9.97Amazon6_29_19.JPG.2a46abc90ccefe798d5f11fa9abcc725.JPG

Love my mandolin, with one exception:  I have the one with the V-blade.  When setting depth, it's thinner at the edges than in the center.  So for things like cucumbers, where the diameter can vary, I don't get consistent thickness.  For smaller things like carrots and fingers, it's very consistent.

I do use the kevlar glove and the pusher thing that came with it.

• Heart 1