Why do Boomers

Prophet Zacharia

Hate Christmas?

“Each year, fewer Americans are putting up trees during the holidays. And those who do are increasingly choosing artificial ones. Aging baby boomers are driving much of this shift, as they opt for the convenience of plastic trees that can be reused year after year. The Agriculture Department’s report best conveys the scope of the challenge facing the natural tree industry. In 2002, farmers harvested close to 21 million trees. By 2017 that figure stood near 15 million.”

My Boomer FIL was just saying he put up his plastic tree yesterday.  He likes that we still use live trees but at his age they are too much trouble for him.

Depending on who’s calendar you use I’m either the last year of a boomer or the first year of a Gan X’r. As I’m in my mid 50’s, most boomers are probably at an age they don’t want to deal with it.  When my mom was in her 60’s she stopped doing a tree. She basically told us if you want me to have a tree then put one up & take it down, I’m tired of it...  

• Heart 1

We've had live baby Christmas tree in a pot. That's all. Very rare. 

Not sure if a live Christmas tree needs to be necessary every year.  Just cut some fresh coniferous boughs, make sure they don't have bugs (which works in snowy countries) and bring them into house...lovely smell. That's a German tradition.  

Even more meaningful might be Christmas tree decorations people have given to you over the decades.... those can be the most interesting, memory filled trees to display with love and affection.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Hate Christmas?

“Each year, fewer Americans are putting up trees during the holidays. And those who do are increasingly choosing artificial ones. Aging baby boomers are driving much of this shift, as they opt for the convenience of plastic trees that can be reused year after year. The Agriculture Department’s report best conveys the scope of the challenge facing the natural tree industry. In 2002, farmers harvested close to 21 million trees. By 2017 that figure stood near 15 million.”

SFW

Thankfully my wife decided she was allergical to real ones a decade or so ago. Yay!  I always hated dealing with trying to get them straight in the stand. We really enjoyed going to the local tree farm when the kids were home, but artificial is a heck of a lot less trouble.  If it was up to me we would have a one foot tree. I loved that when I was a bachelor. Pull it oot of the closet and plug it in!  Viola, done!

So I guess I am guilty as charged. 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Thankfully my wife decided she was allergical to real ones a decade or so ago. Yay!  I always hated dealing with trying to get them straight in the stand. We really enjoyed going to the local tree farm when the kids were home, but artificial is a heck of a lot less trouble.  If it was up to me we would have a one foot tree. I loved that when I was a bachelor. Pull it oot of the closet and plug it in!  Viola, done!

:lol:  We keep the tree wrapped in a sheet mostly decorated in a corner of the secret lab.  Fortunately I never have to upset natural tree advocates because I simply don't invite them over.  Their outrage can be spent someplace else.

We've had a fake tree for about 10 years now, it was my first, and I originally hated, but got used to it.  Haven't put it up in a few years.  The wife said stick it in the greenhouse, I'll take a few pics and sell it.  Now it's on a timer because she can see it from the house, it's staying.

I'll never be rid of this damn holiday.

• Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We've had a fake tree for about 10 years now, it was my first, and I originally hated, but got used to it.  Haven't put it up in a few years.  The wife said stick it in the greenhouse, I'll take a few pics and sell it.  Now it's on a timer because she can see it from the house, it's staying.

I'll never be rid of this damn holiday.

I gave you a hug, because if anyone on this mortal coil needs a hug it is you. 

Christmas isn't a holiday, it's a season. And a feeling. And when it is good, it is the best.

I fervently wish you a happy Christmas

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Hate Christmas?

Obviously, it's not Christmas Boomers hate: they hate the worship of the Nordic Gods. ?

A Christmas Tree is a remnant of the worship of Odin, chief god of the Vikings, etc.  A tree, Odin's symbol was brought into the home so that Odin would protect it.

• Heart 1

We have had a fake tree for a long time. It's one of the expensive ones, it looks ok.

It's easier, less of a fire hazard, and the cat doesn't knock it over.

I'm an atheist, and I love Xmas. You managed to turn a supposedly spiritual celebration of the core of your religion into an orgy of materialism.

I approve, heartily.

I've always had fake trees, not a real one once growing up as a kid.  Wife is the same.  Neither of us ever wanted the mess of a real one.  And after cutting one up to dispose of for a friend and the dang thing caught on fire from just cutting it, I definitely would never have a real one in my house.

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

I've always had fake trees, not a real one once growing up as a kid.  Wife is the same.  Neither of us ever wanted the mess of a real one.  And after cutting one up to dispose of for a friend and the dang thing caught on fire from just cutting it, I definitely would never have a real one in my house.

I got to dispose of the trees. One year we were burning trash in a 50 gal drum, and I had what I thought was a bright idea.

I jammed the tree as hard as I could into the drum, upside down. At first, I thought I'd put the fire out. Then whisps of smoke appeared. After about a minute it was roaring like a rocket, and the drum was turning red at the top.

I didn't do that again.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I can only speak for myself, but in my case it is because I never got a Daisy Red Ryder 200 shot BB gun with a compass in the stock for Christmas, even though that's what I wanted.

I like the new avatar.  In the news this morning I found out that sold for $120,000 at an art show.  I've got lots of banana peels.  Now I need an art gallery.

Now boomer, go hang your head in shame because some think you are awful for not having a real tree.  Maybe you should go so far as to lead a protest at the peloton store to attone as well.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Obviously, it's not Christmas Boomers hate: they hate the worship of the Nordic Gods. ?

A Christmas Tree is a remnant of the worship of Odin, chief god of the Vikings, etc.  A tree, Odin's symbol was brought into the home so that Odin would protect it.

Most people know this as they know December 25 is not the birthdate of JC.  It is nonetheless, a tradition associated with the celebration or season and day, we call Christmas.  I don't do pagan ritual or celebrate Nordic gods.  I do celebrate Christmas and keep the traditions associated. 

• Hugs 1

15 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

:lol:  We keep the tree wrapped in a sheet mostly decorated in a corner of the secret lab.  Fortunately I never have to upset natural tree advocates because I simply don't invite them over.  Their outrage can be spent someplace else.

We built a custom home for a family and one of their must have items was a Christmas tree closet in the family room.  All they had to do was open the door and slide it out.  

• Heart 1