Can you name a child for success or failure?

Naomi

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I think that was also in the Freakanomics show.  It was really someone's name.

I always thought that was an urban legend. Like the Orangejello and Lemonjello twins. Or the child named “Placenta” after the parents hearing “here comes the placenta” in the delivery room and mistaking the meaning.

• Haha 2

A name too far out of the ordinary will follow the kid for life.  Even Paul and Gracy only joked about "god" and went with a more useful name of China for their daughter when push came to shove.  IMO there is an awful tendency for some parents to give their child a name that amuses them but hurts the child long after mom and dad are out of the picture.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

A name too far out of the ordinary will follow the kid for life.  Even Paul and Gracy only joked about "god" and went with a more useful name of China for their daughter when push came to shove.  IMO there is an awful tendency for some parents to give their child a name that amuses them but hurts the child long after mom and dad are out of the picture.

I met “Huckelberry” in my last airport visit, a seasonal hemp farmer, running shoeless for his flight. If that’s his birth name, it would make some sense.

• Haha 1

My brother’s grandson married a girl named Isis. She sent my wife and I friend requests on Facebook. I accepted but my wife declined because she couldn’t chance being a friend of Isis with her high security job. She said I am probably already on the FBI’s watch list. 

I had talked with Isis about her name and said it’s not fair but basically the terrorists had ruined her name and she should pick another name. She resisted but just within the past month she changed her name to Morgan.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

30 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I always thought that was an urban legend. Like the Orangejello and Lemonjello twins. Or the child named “Placenta” after the parents hearing “here comes the placenta” in the delivery room and mistaking the meaning.

My sister in law swears there were twins named Amnio and Centesis in the maternity ward where she worked. :D

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The baseball player Carlos Santana is a prime example of what the heck were the parents thinking.

• Haha 1

17After a very hard delivery, the midwife finally exclaimed, “Don’t be afraid—you have another son!” 18Rachel was about to die, but with her last breath she named the baby Ben-oni (which means “son of my sorrow”). The baby’s father, however, called him Benjamin (which means “son of my right hand”). 19So Rachel died and was buried on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem). 20Jacob set up a stone monument over Rachel’s grave, and it can be seen there to this day.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Every "Kevin" I have ever met, is an asshat.   Don't be a Kevin.  :) 

No. My nephew, Kevin is a great guy.  He's 32, got his PhD from Harvard (yes, I've never mentioned this before...but true. In molecular biology), married to his pediatrician wife and father of 2 young children, 1 of them with brain cancer.

22 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Her sister Isil can empathize.

My favorite person at the blood bank back when I was allowed to give blood was named Icy. I asked her if her parents were hippies. She said they might have been. She made me look forward to my visits, such a lovely, cheerful person.

• Awesome 1

I used to work insurance administration. We would get new beneficiary updates all the time for new kids. 2 that stood out to me were Ima June Bugg and Justin Other Smith. 

The maiden name of a law secretary I know was Merry Christmas. 

WoW used to work with a Native American office manager named Rockets Red Glare!

• Haha 1

I have noticed that girls with a gender neutral name, seem to be generally positive/successful people....Taylor, Lindsay.  These are women who I know face to face.

Myself and several sisters have 1950's -1960's girl names which it's incredibly rare other women have same names in younger generations.  Or parents try to be creative to give a different spelling.

An Indian boy was asking his father how he selected names for his children.

The Chief said, "It was easy, I looked out of the TeePee at their birth and chose the first thing I saw.  This is why your brother is named Running Deer and your sister is Singing Sparrow.  

Why do you ask, Two Dogs Fucking?" 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

There's been studies about resumes rejected by HR due to the person's name. For example "Aijeigh McShan" versus "Andrew McShan" or "Warletta Brookins" vs "Wanda Brookins". While it might not be overtly racist, there's a component of it.

Windell Middlebrooks, the man who did the Miller High Life commercials a few years ago, was on Bob and Tom one morning. There was another black comedian on as well. They got into a very open conversation about race. It was frank, but funny. They both started talking about names that may have a color component to them, including Windell's name. He said he named his daughter Marcia or some other very neutral name. He said wanted her to have the advantage of people not knowing her skin color until she showed up for the job interview!

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, shootingstar said:
1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Every "Kevin" I have ever met, is an asshat.   Don't be a Kevin.  :) 

No. My nephew, Kevin is a great guy

My best friend and heterosexual life partner is named Kevin.  He's an enigma.  He's brilliant, gifted and 1% in the upper IQ range. He might be one of the few who completely understands the underpinnings of quantum physics, string theory and he considered bronzing his Organic Chemistry papers.

But, Kevin is also a Browns fan. Trust me, Kevin is fully capable of full jackass.  No Kevin is immune. 

Mudkipz 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We had a local family who named their kids Melody, Harmony and Chord.  Pretty cool for a theme if you are into themes. 

Chord is the shit name of the bunch.  Geez.

I do hate theme names, except for pets.  If I got two dogs, I always thought I would call them 'Minty' and 'Fresh'.

Names that are commonly shared by the main culture in a society are helpful.

My Polish grandparents had 9 children, the oldest getting Polish names, but my grandfather realized the disadvantage of that halfway through procreating. He partly Anglicized his last name from Gryskiewicz to the easily-pronouncable Griscavage, which he, his wife, all his children became legally named. His youngest kids were named John, Sally, Martha, and Helen. The older kids got Anglicized first names.  Everyone still called one of my uncles "Stashu" until the day he died, but his name had been legally changed to Stanley when he was in school and a Polish-American teacher advised him and his father to do so.

I noticed in teaching, that the kids in my gift and talented science classes at Maryland's largest high school also tended, almost exclusively, to have common, main culture names regardless of race or nationality. That was true even for most of the Korean kids, who had or used mainstream, Anglicized names, except for those just off the plane. If a kid was named something like "Peekaboo" you could bet with a high probability of being right that she wasn't in gifted classes. I've often wondered whether having offbeat or other-ethnicity names tends to make people think less of you and tend to not include you/offer you fewer opportunities or if the parents bestowing the names tended to lead the kids away from the trying to excel in the things that make you more valuable to the main culture.

I used to work with a young man who immigrated from Zimbabwe. His given name was Gift Machiwenyika. I don't know if he changed his name before or after joining the Army, but legally changed it to Marcus Knyte so he didn't have to deal with non-stop issues in the military. He won't care this is shared. His life is an open book. We still stay in touch. Nice guy and doing very well for himself.