So my water heater died

Prophet Zacharia

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

At some point during my vacation. Woke up to find no hot water, and went down to find a wet basement floor. Fortunately it’s a concrete floor with a drain. But together it was a cold slap in the face returning me to reality on a wet Monday morning.

Well look on the bright side... Wait, there is no bright side.  Sorry.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

At some point during my vacation. Woke up to find no hot water, and went down to find a wet basement floor. Fortunately it’s a concrete floor with a drain. But together it was a cold slap in the face returning me to reality on a wet Monday morning.

When I replaced my home's last water heater when it was my parent's home around 1980, the old one was connected by solid water pipe. Fortunately, the new ones even then let you connect flexible water pipe to heater. That was a great idea, since the various models of heaters have water connections at different locations than each other.  The newer pairs flexible pipes can include one with a valve to shut off the water where it enters the heater.  I'm going to replace my water heater in a few years and will probably replace the flexible pipes as well because they're so old.

10 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm going to replace my water heater in a few years

If you start draining your water heater regularly again, you'll get another 40 years!

29 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Well look on the bright side... Wait, there is no bright side.  Sorry.

He should see it as an opportunity to go with a tankless system. That's a bright side.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yeah, but he's in Texas,  isn't that all desert?

Same thing happened to us, and I mentioned it in an earlier post.  Thought you were quoting that.  Many places in Texas have soils that are not compatible to basements, as they shrink and swell and cause a lot of cracks.  We have a similar situation here, and thus swimming pools are rare.

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Doesn’t @jsharr live in a desert? I don’t know that he does, but I imagine all of Texas as a desert. Except for the flooded parts like Houston.

I like in an area with lots of clay in the soil, particularly Montmorillonite clay, with a HUGE shrink/swell potential.  Due to this, not many homes have basements.  It is doable, but would have a higher initial cost that would make the homes harder to sell.

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Same thing happened to us, and I mentioned it in an earlier post.  Thought you were quoting that.  Many places in Texas have soils that are not compatible to basements, as they shrink and swell and cause a lot of cracks.  We have a similar situation here, and thus swimming pools are rare.

Ed Zachary Wright

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I like in an area with lots of clay in the soil, particularly Montmorillonite clay, with a HUGE shrink/swell potential.  Due to this, not many homes have basements.  It is doable, but would have a higher initial cost that would make the homes harder to sell.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I heard wah, wah, wah...

• Haha 1