Worcestershire sauce

Airehead

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Tell me about it. Do you use it?  Why do I have a bottle in my fridge?

I use it when recipes call for it. It boosts the beef flavor when needed. Why is it in your fridge? It doesn’t say, refrigerate after opening and there’s enough sodium to preserve a body. I keep mine in the spice cabinet.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I once worked with a guy who stuttered badly. His goal in life was to be a radio DJ. Please don't think too badly of me, but one day I tried to get him to say Worcestershire sauce.

Virgil what is that sauce in the fridge? 

Sa-soy sauce?

No the other one.

Ca-cocktail sauce?

No the other brown one in the skinny bottle.

Oh! Worcestershire sauce. 

Virgil nailed it perfectly. Come to think about it after 3 or 4 drinks, Virgil didn't stutter at all. If he ever became a DJ, he would have had to be a drunk one.

• Heart 1

I use Worcestershire sauce mostly to flavor sauces made with several items. Used moderately, it adds just the right amount of spiciness without getting too spicy or getting hot. Here are two recipes where the sauce is excellent thanks to a couple tbsp of Worcestershire sauce:

Mississippi BBQ Sauce (& Mickey's Variation)

I saw this in a grilling book.  It's so good on pork or chicken I don't like store-bought BBQ sauces anymore.  This will virtually drown 2 lbs of ribs.

Ingredients

4 tbsp ketchup

4 tbsp sugar (2 tbsp works fine for me)

2 tbsp cider vinegar (1.5 if a little thicker is desired)

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (1.5 tbsp if a little thicker is desired)

1 tbsp minced garlic

1 tbsp dry Italian seasoning

Optional: Cayenne Pepper (a pea size will kick it up a notch without making it hot)

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients together, stirring until all the brown sugar dissolves (heat brick-hard brown sugar for short periods in a microwave to soften).

2. If applying to baked ribs, chicken, chops, etc. place it on in the last 10 minutes after the last time you turn the meat to avoid burning it.

3. With ribs, serve a bowl of sauce at the table for those wanting extra.

Worcestershire sauce also makes the sauce in this Shepherd's Pie wonderful. The author has a catering business in Ireland. It's freezable and I always make extras and put them in disposable foil lasagna pans and freeze a couple and make a couple more for my siblings' families:

Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie Recipe

(https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-irish-shepherds-pie-302120)

Posting this per a request. I've said it once and I'll say it again there is nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage, but Shepherd's Pie has always been and still is a staple of traditional Irish cooking. This is a really easy, but tasty recipe that the whole family will enjoy. It's nutritionally sound with all the major food groups represented. The British use lamb in their Shepherd's Pie, but we've always used beef. Do whatever you prefer or even try turkey if you're watching fat content. This sauce is lovely and rich and should go well with any meat. You can use fresh or leftover mashed potato. I usually use 3 tbsp of ketchup instead of the 2tbsp of tomato paste as I like the hint of sweetness, but traditionally the paste would be more sound! You can also make individual pies which are always a hit with the kids. This freezes beautifully too, so make two and save one! Just let it defrost and glaze with the egg and pop into the oven as directed. Enjoy! :)

by GrumpyIrishLady

Rated 5/5 by 271 people

40 min | 20 min prep SERVES 4 -6 , 1 pie

· 1 tablespoon olive oil 

· 1 teaspoon black pepper 

· 1 lb ground beef or lamb 

· 1 large onion, finely diced

· 3-4 large carrots, finely diced

· 1 cup frozen peas

· 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped

· 2 tablespoons flour 

· 1 tablespoon butter 

· 1 glass red wine 

· 2 tablespoons tomato paste 

· 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

· 1 cup stock [chicken stock: or 1 bouillon cube in 1 cup of water]

· 1 large quantity mashed potatoes (estimating 1L or 6 cups, fresh or leftover)

Reviewer tip: use garlic mashed potatoes

· 1 egg, beaten

· grated parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.

2. Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender.

3. Add in the onions and saute for a minute or two then add the meat.

4. Season with black pepper and thyme.

5. Cook until browned then drain fat.

6. Add the butter and peas.

7. Sprinkle with flour and stir through.

8. Add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce.

9. Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.

10. Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish** (9x13 works for me, as does an oval baker) with butter and add the sauce.

11. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.

12. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.

13. Serve as is or with some crusty bread to mop up that yummy sauce!