Move to Texas

jsharr

22 minutes ago, jsharr said:

or chop off the pinkie finger of your non dominant hand?

You would have to stay for a minimum of 10 years.  You could pick the city.

discus

Easy choice, I don't use my pinky for much and I have to live in Texas.

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Shanty on the coast (between Galveston and Corpus Christie or further south) for fishing and hunting, and maybe something more substantial further inland (Northern south Texas, as the Hill Country is too expensive.) when the big storms are approaching.

A shanty on stilts, correct?

13 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My Grandparents chose to keep their fingers and move to Texas. Marshall for 5 years (east side near Shreveport) and then San Angelo - halfway between Dallas and nothing - for 15 years, until they passed away.

Marshall is a neat little town.  Never been to San Angelo, so I cannot comment.  Texas is too big to see it all.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Marshall is a neat little town.  Never been to San Angelo, so I cannot comment.  Texas is too big to see it all.

I was about 10 when they moved out of Marshall.  Don't remember much of it.  San Angelo was cool.  Fort Concho is there - from the Buffalo Soldier era.

Just now, BuffJim said:

I was about 10 when they moved out of Marshall.  Don't remember much of it.  San Angelo was cool.  Fort Concho is there - from the Buffalo Soldier era.

Lots of old forts dotted across Texas from the pioneer days.   Fort Chadbourne is also out that way.

https://fortchadbourne.org/index.html

• Heart 1

Let's see.....

G could ride year round outside.  I would bet that they have year round softball.  In Indiana she is first off the bench on her basketball team, probably one of the best 6th persons out there in her age group... But I bet she'd be a starting stud in Texas!  I have no doubt that they need nurses down there.  I would probably never have to winterize the camper again.  I think I could do it.  

I would like to live somewhere close to a decent hospital but far away from any people that would actually use said hospital.  

And a boat.  I'd like a boat.

Just now, Parr8hed said:

Let's see.....

G could ride year round outside.  I would bet that they have year round softball.  In Indiana she is first off the bench on her basketball team, probably one of the best 6th persons out there in her age group... But I bet she'd be a starting stud in Texas!  I have no doubt that they need nurses down there.  I would probably never have to winterize the camper again.  I think I could do it.  

I would like to live somewhere close to a decent hospital but far away from any people that would actually use said hospital.  

And a boat.  I'd like a boat.

You would have to move to South Texas to make this happen.  Houston, Corpus Christi section of the Gulf Coast.

Here in Dallas we get into single digits temps in the winter on a very frequent basis and boats and rv's have to be winterized.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You would have to move to South Texas to make this happen.  Houston, Corpus Christi section of the Gulf Coast.

Here in Dallas we get into single digits temps in the winter on a very frequent basis and boats and rv's have to be winterized.

Related image

• Envious 1

58 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Please confirm there are no scorpions in Texas. That's just a myth like Bigfoot, right.

We have scorpions and tarantulas and cotton mouthed water moccasins and rattlesnakes and copperhead snakes.

Here are our deadly dozen

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/twelve-most-dangerous-creatures-in-texas/

Most Texans do not have to worry about brain eating amoebas, for obvious reasons, but folks from other places might.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

. . .

Most Texans do not have to worry about brain eating amoebas, for obvious reasons, but folks from other places might.

Sorry, JSharrrr, but those brain eating amoebas have been found in Lake Conroe of all places. Gotta be sure to hold your nose when jumping in the water. Especially during dog days of Summer.

Just now, Ltdskilz said:

Sorry, JSharrrr, but those brain eating amoebas have been found in Lake Conroe of all places. Gotta be sure to hold your nose when jumping in the water. Especially during dog days of Summer.

Again, you are assuming I have a brain.  Not that many Texans have one.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

21 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I hear that the Mexican food is good in Texas. 

We live on a migrant route. Taquerias are legit here. I go to one that has the bus schedule and organized stop for that. The owner is used to us regularly eating there. He knows I love avocado and no plastic ware on my plate. ❤️ Nice family. If we dine out, it is my go to. I can make most local foods better than restaurants, but I can’t make Mexican food like that. 

• Heart 1