Move to Texas

jsharr

19 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We live on a migrant route. Taquerias are legit here. I go to one that has the bus schedule and organized stop for that. The owner is used to us regularly eating there. He knows I love avocado and no plastic ware on my plate. ❤️ Nice family. If we dine out, it is my go to. I can make most local foods better than restaurants, but I can’t make Mexican food like that. 

I can.  Here is a good starting place for beef enchiladas.  I like to make the sauce hours before hand and let it cook to bring the flavors together.   

For the enchilada sauce

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

For the enchiladas

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 6 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated
  • 6 ounces monterey jack, freshly grated
  • 8 of your favorite tortillas
  • sliced avocado for serving
  • halved cherry tomatoes for serving
  • lime wedges for serving
  • sour cream for serving
  • chopped cilantro for serving
  • sliced scallions for serving

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375℉.

2. Make the enchilada sauce. Bring a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the chicken broth, chipotle sauce, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat slightly and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground beef, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and cook for 7-8 minutes, until ground beef is browned and fully cooked. Add 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce to the beef, as well as 1/3 of the cheeses. Stir to combine until melted.

4. Spoon 1 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the beef mixture onto one side of the tortilla, then roll tightly. Place seam side down in the dish and repeat with all 8 tortillas.

5. Pour 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce over the enchiladas, spreading evenly. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden. 

6. Serve with sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes, lime wedges, sour cream, and chopped cilantro and scallions. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I lived in Ft. Worth for two years and enjoyed it there.   I could easily live in Austin or maybe Galveston area.  Not many other places though.  My wife didn't want to stay though. 

Austin is too crowded. Nobody lives there anymore.

• Haha 1

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Edwards Plateau and Davis Mountains areas are nice, but probably too dry for some of the forum members.  Driving in Austin is horrendous.

I need access to sailing.  I guess I could go land sailing on a dry lake bed or some such.  Less chance of drowning when I get drunk and fall overboard.

8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I can't believe you've never been to San Angelo. Did you ever venture as far as Garner State Park?

We never went west that much.  South to Austin and Corpus and East.  We spent most of our time on lake Texoma.  Kept a boat there.   Spent most of my childhood in Edmond Oklahoma and we had a trailer on Lake Eufala.  We did not vacation much when I was a kid, but spent lots of time at the lake instead.

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

I need access to sailing.  I guess I could go land sailing on a dry lake bed or some such.  Less chance of drowning when I get drunk and fall overboard.

you never been drunk enough to drown in a dry lake before I guess.... Just means you need to come out drinking with me sometime. 

• Heart 1