Gooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal.....Your goals...health and fitness...check in?!

petitepedal

Okay  RR you get a pass on fitness...

Me...not doing so good...but everyday I look in the mirror and the need to take action gets stronger and stronger...SO I am praying for some will power ....especially against my weekend wine...which is what throws EVERYTHING off track :whistle:

So...our weather should be pretty good this weekend...not too windy, wet or hot...I am hoping to ride both Friday and Sunday...However I have a step goal of 20,000 for Saturday....which may cause some problems with Sunday.

The heat & humidity just saps my energy and my interest in an AM workout...oh and starting July 8...I have to be out of the garage by 7 AM for our new asphalt work.

Still hitting the gym twice a week.  Weight not coming off as fast as I want but have not really changed my diet that much.

Need to add more aerobic stuff, like saddle time that is almost non existant to the mix

Weight holding steady at 250, but I can tell a difference in fitness level, etc.

I gained some weight over winter.  I am finally back in the 120's.  I really need to get back in the gym to lift weights.  I've been bad about not getting over there.  

No goals really, except for the vanity part.  I am clicking off my goal to ride to Chiloquin this weekend.  I have wanted to do that for a while now.

I guess the only goal I have now is getting my cholesterol back to where it needs to be.   I have a vanity want.... to lose 5 or 10 lbs.  Since it is a want and I have a sweet tooth, I never seem to get thee.  Fitness wise I feel strong.

well, I'm still having knee trouble, but everything else is in good shape. I'm cross training a lot more this year since I can't spend the long hours on the bike.

all the way around I'm able to do most things without tearing myself up, which is really the only goal I have...survive this year without any major time off to heal an injury like each of the last 3 years

Weight is down to 185, I want to get to 170 and beer is holding me back.  I'm riding more and have found that creative cursing and a toolbox full of hand-gestures is helping me deal with the stupid drivers here in Ohio.  I'm eating very well but my blood pressure is still in the pre-hypertension range (192/86).  Cholesterol is probably in the 210 range, not as low as I want it to be though. 

I don;t have a set of scales nor do I really want to but I am losing weight - the clothes and belt say so.  I've dropped holes since January 1st on the belt.  If I guessed based on previous experience I am now at about 185 to 190 where I was in the 195 - 200 range earlier in the year.  I have done a good job of having control over my appetite and have been purposely dedicating more time to riding.  I have been able to do about 125 miles a week - weather dependent. 

I have gained a little back from my great loss. I'm back around 240s. I gained about 20+ # back (of the 120+ lost).

I was really slack in the winter, that didn't help. Like you, Petite, I have been struggling with some delicious fire water on the weekends (Angry Balls = Angry Orchard Cider and Fireball whisky).

Also, I learned more about my knee issues and have basically been told to just forget about some of the stuff I wanted to try to get into (like running). I was also told to stop taking the stairs when I could as it was also too harmful to my weakened knee.

I'm trying to get my butt  back in gear. Eating right (been snacking on junk waaay too much again...that's was the main culprit in the first place), busting my ass whenever I can especially now that weather is good again.  Maybe we should try some sort of fitness thread like Destination used to do.

If there's interest in fitness challenges, we can set up something. I found those challenges helped to keep everyone accountable and on track with their goals. The comments often inspired me.

You can have your own special section, but I warn you, people here only seem to be able to find the Cafe.

Do any of you track your eating and exercise through myfitnesspal.com or fitday.com or another similar site? 

I did.  That was how I initially lost 35 pounds.  Then I did it again for another 5 or so.  I'm not sure what my ideal weight should be, I'm a medium build guy and weigh 185.  I know I need to weigh less, but for now I am on hold.  I want to stay here for a few months without tracking.  I want to make sure the changes I've made are incorporated into my life and I can stick to it.  So far so good.

In the fall I will lose another 10 or so pounds.  I will need MFP to help again.

Do any of you track your eating and exercise through myfitnesspal.com or fitday.com or another similar site? 

I was. I still log in to MFP every day, but I haven't tracked my food very well for a while now. Been wanting to get back to it, but as DH said, it is a chore.

I've had an account through myfitnesspal.com for the past year and a half. It works well for me. Aside from a three- or four-day stretch in early May, I've tracked my food and exercise activity daily. At present, it's not just for counting calories. I also use it to keep track of nutrients.

I understand when people say it's a bit of a chore, but I haven't found it too much work. It's part of the discipline and it also helps to see how various foods or activities will affect me.

I've had an account through myfitnesspal.com for the past year and a half. It works well for me. Aside from a three- or four-day stretch in early May, I've tracked my food and exercise activity daily. At present, it's not just for counting calories. I also use it to keep track of nutrients.

I understand when people say it's a bit of a chore, but I haven't found it too much work. It's part of the discipline and it also helps to see how various foods or activities will affect me.

I am definitely disciplined, but tracking food took me at least 30 minutes a day.  Much of my food is homemade, so it is very difficult to search, measure and log.  It was such a manual process.  It sucked.  I was using fit day.

It just proved to be far too much work for what I was getting out of it.  

• Heart 1

Good question as I sit here eating a bowl of ice cream for supper.  Lifting weights twice a week, sometimes three.  I walk the 1.5 miles to the 'Y'.  Then there is the pub crawl bike mileage.  Somehow I'm only up three pounds to 188, but as far as I can tell it's mostly muscle, as my clothes still fit.  Cardiologist said I'm doing great but won't let me stop the Sotalol.  Blood pressure is averaging104/67 (Red Cross totals from April 2013 to current).  Cholesterol I don't know since I haven't been to the doctor in a couple of years.  I need to do that I guess. 

At some point I need to drag the road bike out and roll up some miles, especially before November's ALS ride.  But all in all I think I'm doing okay. 

Oh, I will be consuming copious amounts of PBR at Daytona this weekend, so that will be a little setback.  :D

My biggest goal is to heal my si joint issue, and it's not easy because I have to change the way I do things and sometimes cycling exacerbates it :(  But a few things I learned in the workshop I took on Sunday will definitely be helpful

I am definitely disciplined, but tracking food took me at least 30 minutes a day.  Much of my food is homemade, so it is very difficult to search, measure and log.  It was such a manual process.  It sucked.  I was using fit day.

I used Fitday.com in the past and then switched to myfitnesspal.com. I find myfitnesspal.com was a little more streamlined.

I had to do the same calculations with homemade foods, figuring out each of the ingredients and then adding them up. That part was time-consuming. But then, once an item is in place, I could save it and recall it as I needed. So the first time I had a new food, calculating it was time-consuming, but the second time was simple. I don't have a huge range of new foods I'm eating, so this works for me. Others may have different results.

Also, there are times when close enough is good enough. If I can't get the exact figures for something, I'll find a close alternative. 

I have an appointment this month with my oncologist and with my PCP and an insurance company screening so they will let me know how I'm doing.  I should be able to get back to being more active because my wife is being put back on day shift.  My routine when we work different shifts was get up and get moving, kayaking before work, cycling, and the gym, not all in the same day.  When we worked the same shift I hung out around the house with her or we drove around running errands.  I do get out on the bike as often as I can but starting later this month I should be returning to daily rides.  I haven't weighed myself for about six months but I appear to be holding my own.  I know I lost some weight on my seven day cycling adventure.  My goal is to stay active and not crash.

Well my goal of 20,000 steps should be easy peasy. I am at 19170 tonight...after running around with the bed bug peeps today at work and doing my 3 mile walk this PM

If we could continue with more weather like today..that would be fantastic...75 degrees..only 57 this AM..light winds...maybe up to 5mph..sunshine an NO humidity.

As to using MyFitnessPal...I'm with DH...I make lots of my own stuff and find it hard to calculate all that stuff...and boring.  I believe if I stay away from the vino and work on the portion control..I could pretty much eat the same way I do now....Occasionally, I get bored or I am tired and I get a takeout meal or sandwich...I think it is okay to occasionally eat out but..I need to make sure I have some easy ptins for those tired stressed days.

The concept of tracking calories doesn't work for everyone, which is fine. The principles are more important than the specifics. And some just don't like anything to do with numbers.

There is a potential pitfall for those trying to control their weight or lose weight without counting calories. It's easy to ignore portions and portion sizes. At the end of the day, too many calories will add up, even if someone isn't counting those calories. And too many calories will result in weight gain, even if the calories are from the healthiest foods available. 

The concept of tracking calories doesn't work for everyone, which is fine. The principles are more important than the specifics. And some just don't like anything to do with numbers.

There is a potential pitfall for those trying to control their weight or lose weight without counting calories. It's easy to ignore portions and portion sizes. At the end of the day, too many calories will add up, even if someone isn't counting those calories. And too many calories will result in weight gain, even if the calories are from the healthiest foods available. 

I use my mental calculator with the food thing.  If I eat a heavy meal the rest of my day is lower calorie. This tactic seems to be working for me.  

Food journals are very effective as well, and don't take hours of my week trying to count K cals.