This, is how you quit your job.

Naomi

Of all the jobs I've quit, I've never told off the boss.  Mine was a relatively small industry and reputation was what kept me employed.  Some of the places I've left have even hired me back as a consultant for short jobs that seemed very important to them.

I guess it's the "don't burn bridges syndrome".

For example, Pratt and Whitney is one of those employers that doesn't give out ex employee information other than "yes he worked here from xxxx to xxxx.  When they layed me off my upper level manager made me an offer of "any time, anyone, just ask and I will write a review for you"  That was probably because a couple of weeks before the layoff I wrote a "how to cookbook" for non technicians to cover my responsibilities if I got laid off.

• Heart 3

15 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

best to give a proper 2 weeks notice when leaving

When I quit the spring factory I gave them 4 days notice. They were pissed but I didn't care. 

In 2007 the manger put me on 3rd shift permanently with one day notice. Only when he found out that another company offered me a job I went back to 1st shift. 

• Heart 1

I worked for a company that would terminate employees who resigned, immediately.  That was within the laws at the time.  So, the employee who provided proper notice was left without pay for that notice given.  

After seeing this repeat itself several times, I resigned giving 4 weeks notice.  I also commenced 4 weeks due vacation that day.  Unscrupulous employers get their way too often.  

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I worked for a company that would terminate employees who resigned, immediately.  That was within the laws at the time.  So, the employee who provided proper notice was left without pay for that notice given.  

After seeing this repeat itself several times, I resigned giving 4 weeks notice.  I also commenced 4 weeks due vacation that day.  Unscrupulous employers get their way too often.  

Here they'll walk you out if you say you're going to a competitor.  I've decided that when I give my 2 weeks, I'm going to say I am going to the competitor.  When they walk me out, I'll file for unemployment.

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I worked for a company that did the same thing. People started giving 2 hours notice on Friday afternoon and started a new job on Monday. That's what I did. 

• Heart 2

I've only left two jobs, and both times, although there were legitimate reasons I wanted to make a change, the people at the prior company had always treated me fairly and I wanted to be as professional and responsible as I could on the transfer.   If people were less fair with me, I'd be less concerned about helping to make the transition smooth. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

After I was let go immediately after giving notice and did not pay out vacay time, the next guy to leave took 2 weeks vacay & quit the day he came back.

• Heart 2