How cold is too cold?

Naomi

I just watched a YT video of a sailing channel I follow.  The guy is based in Yellowknife for a few years and he posted a winter bike ride at -41 degrees.  I love cycling but only to about -10C.  That is when trainers start to make sense. 

Well..we had some frosty mornings for the 3 speed tour (in May)...and right out the gate there is a good size midwest climb..my lungs didn't like that...but an easy flat ride..I am probably okay in the above freezing category..however..I have not actually tried it...cross country skiing, the coldest was probably -10 to -15 f...but after a week of -40 we wanted OUT...this was back in the olden days..mid 70's...

• Heart 1

0 f (-18c) is about the coldest I've ridden in. These days, I have no desire to do that any more.

The winter I worked up in the NWT, I saw lots of people riding their bikes around town at -30 or colder. Every night, between 2 and 3 am, there was a guy that rode into town on the infamous Ingram Trail from the Giant gold mine. I saw him several times, but any time you would be within radio range, which was about 30 km mobile to mobile, you would hear the chatter about him around that time, so I'm pretty sure it was just about every night, and it gets damn cold at night up there.

• Heart 1

I walk in the mall if it's below 40F. I haven't invested in Winter cycling wear, except for a balaclava and cycling gloves, but at 40F wearing two pairs of socks and running shoes and regular winter clothing, I'm nice and warm all over except my toes get cold after an hour.  Since I rarely ride for much more than an hour, that's not a problem.  I may do heat pads to improve the results, but don't really need them.