Speaking of carbon in relation to footprint

Dirtyhip

Took a test on a calculator.  My footprint is fucked.  The reason is slightly out of my control.  It makes me very sad.  

The reason mine blew up has nothing to do with my e-bike, my gas guzzling truck, nor my home.  Anyone want to guess why?  

Note:  Has nothing to do with my food and drink, either.  Nor any electronics purchases.  

:unhappy:

I am still going to try my hardest in as many ways as I can.

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Big pharma due to your MS meds?

Bingo.  You have to put in annual cost of meds.  Mine are 80 grand. 

Although, I think that is unfair in the personal calculation of footprint.  I am certain that their cost is not 80 grand.  There is so much profit margin there.  Also, I am not sure with the calculator if I am supposed to enter my cost, or what they charge my insurance.  If I lived in another country, my cost is different, for the the same meds,  

Without the meds, I am less than half of average footprint.  My house is small, my family is small, we eat mostly vegetarian, and we produce minimal waste.  My garbage can is the half size bin.  We don't even fill it by half in one week.  Looking at other bins, they use the large bin and it is overflowing and they have extra bags. 

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Although, I think that is unfair in the personal calculation of footprint.  I am certain that their cost is not 80 grand.  There is so much profit margin there.  Also, I am not sure with the calculator if I am supposed to enter my cost, or what they charge my insurance.  If I lived in another country, my cost is different, for the the same meds,  

Without the meds, I am less than half of average footprint.  My house is small, my family is small, we eat mostly vegetarian, and we produce minimal waste.  My garbage can is the half size bin.  We don't even fill it by half in one week.  Looking at other bins, they use the large bin and it is overflowing and they have extra bags. 

Calculate yours based on what you can control. It’s not like you selected to be on these meds, or could go without. Control what you can, it’s all you can expect of yourself.

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

What @Prophet Zacharia said plus you more than make up for it in other ways.

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Calculate yours based on what you can control. It’s not like you selected to be on these meds, or could go without. Control what you can, it’s all you can expect of yourself.

Without that, we are doing very well.  We got hit hard for the truck and travel.  We drive that gas guzzler for camping all summer long.  

Our calculation shows 1/3 of the average footprint for U.S. 

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I constantly talk about going off meds.  Don't think that my husband doesn't like me talking like that.  

Read somewhere that if your MS is relatively stable for ten years, going off meds could be considered.  Don't really know what they will do to me long term.  That is scary.  

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Read somewhere that if your MS is relatively stable for ten years, going off meds could be considered.  Don't really know what they will do to me long term.  That is scary.  

Hopefully you have a good enough relationship with your neurologist to discuss how the risks/benefits may evolve over time. Tough balance of potential risks.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Hopefully you have a good enough relationship with your neurologist to discuss how the risks/benefits may evolve over time. Tough balance of potential risks.

I really liked him.  He retired recently.  He was always 100% against the idea of me going off meds.  

So, I remain on Techfidera for the time being.

7 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

There should be a calculation for "luxuries" footprint, where things you require to stay healthy aren't included. For example, it costs me less than $200/month for natural gas and electricity, which would be less if I lived farther south or more if I lived farther north. If my livelihood was as a construction worker where I needed to haul large amounts of tools or other materials in a large pickup with a trailer instead of the Honda Fit I have, my footprint would be larger due to the fact I was doing a job that is necessary in our economy.  Etc. Etc.