Six months of mainly vegetarian and vegan eating

Dirtyhip

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

There NO vegan athletes of note, too. 

...I tried it out for about 6 months when I was a muscular fire hero (and not on TV, either.)  I found it incredibly difficult to maintain muscle mass.  I think I would have been OK if I hadn't had such strenuous requirements at work.  It ended up OK, though. I couldn't eat "with the guys".  Firemen for the most part cook and eat like teenage boys. "Eating with the guys" was pretty much a downer most of the time if you were interested in the food.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...I tried it out for about 6 months when I was a muscular fire hero (and not on TV, either.)  I found it incredibly difficult to maintain muscle mass.  I think I would have been OK if I hadn't had such strenuous requirements at work.  It ended up OK, though. I couldn't eat "with the guys".  Firemen for the most part cook and eat like teenage boys. "Eating with the guys" was pretty much a downer most of the time if you were interested in the food.

Fast forward several decades, and it is probably much easier.

...there's a lot better taste in collard greens if you harvest them after the frost starts.  They taste a lot sweeter.  Most of the collards you can buy in the grocery taste pretty flat to me. The frost and colder weather makes them taste sweeter....not sure about the physiology of what's going on, but I presume it has something to do with the plant trying to keep from freezing to death.

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Athletes?  Like these guys?

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/what-7-elite-vegan-athletes-eat-get-and-stay-ultra-jacked

There is an F1 racer too, but I forget his name

Those are not elite athletes, you know. 

You can be athletic and be a vegan, but you simply cannot be a champion athlete without eating some meat, it just doesn’t happen. 

Eating meat doesn’t make someone a champion either, but you totally rule it out if you don’t eat some cow or pig or skunk. 

49 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Those are not elite athletes, you know. 

You can be athletic and be a vegan, but you simply cannot be a champion athlete without eating some meat, it just doesn’t happen. 

Eating meat doesn’t make someone a champion either, but you totally rule it out if you don’t eat some cow or pig or skunk. 

Just because you say something emphatically, does not make it true.

Only for RG

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yeah, that Cam Awesome dude.  He was a champion while on a plant based diet.  

So, RG is wrong. hehehe

So a pro wrestler an elite athlete?  Geez, that and retired people and personal trainers, an impressive display of collective might!

I am convinced and will only eat vegan animals now. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think the reason we don't see a lot of vegan athletes, yet, is because eating this way is still fringe.  Numbers grow though.  

I'm not a vegan, but I am enjoying a heck of lot more plant based things in my diet.  Like, 90% plant based now.

Vegan athletes just don’t achieve genetic potential is why you don’t see them, they don’t reach the upper ranks.  They simply can’t.  

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I think the reason we don't see a lot of vegan athletes, yet, is because eating this way is still fringe.  Numbers grow though.  

I'm not a vegan, but I am enjoying a heck of lot more plant based things in my diet.  Like, 90% plant based now.

Kind of like Brady, Rogers, and Wilson. You're in good company. 

Scott Jurek is vegan and an elite athlete. He wrote a good book about it. 

image.jpeg.d7b3672950d341d162a8f59e9872daae.jpeg

3 hours ago, dennis said:

I didn't say they were vegan. Like DH, they eat mostly a plant based diet. google it

Jurek is a big deal in the ultra marathon world.

Venus Williams in Tennis, there are others.

Eat what you want. 

Who DOESN’T eat a plant based diet?  if you even eat French fries, that qualifies as eating a mostly plant based diet. So do you know who else eats a mostly plant based diet?  Omnivores, the folks who eat meat, too.  

Just now, Randomguy said:

Who DOESN’T eat a plant based diet?  if you even eat French fries, that qualifies as eating a mostly plant based diet. So do you know who else eats a mostly plant based diet?  Omnivores, the folks who eat meat, too.  

Based on the obesity problem in this country, I'd say most people don't. Too much processed food like product, too much fast food etc. A big mac, fries and a coke is not really a plant based diet. That's not really what DH is talking about.

Eat what you want and what makes you happy.

I like to know where my food comes from as much as possible. And I eat meat. 

We have a digestion system that can handle vegetation and animal protein.  That says to me, you should eat both.  You can eat either in survival mode but it isn't optimal.  If we were herbivores, we wouldn't have incisor teeth and would probably have multiple stomachs and longer digestive tacts.  That is just my take though. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We have a digestion system that can handle vegetation and animal protein.  That says to me, you should eat both.  You can eat either in survival mode but it isn't optimal.  If we were herbivores, we wouldn't have incisor teeth and would probably have multiple stomachs and longer digestive tacts.  That is just my take though. 

I agree with that.  Our teeth say a lot about who we are.  But there's no doubt as we move from primates to primates with brains -- nature's gonna take some time to catch up.  For instance, you're talking to brilliance on this website.  It's totally not appreciated now but you can bet in 3 million years this digital archive is going to be a gold mine for future, future generations.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dennis said:

Based on the obesity problem in this country, I'd say most people don't. Too much processed food like product, too much fast food etc. A big mac, fries and a coke is not really a plant based diet. That's not really what DH is talking about.

Eat what you want and what makes you happy.

I like to know where my food comes from as much as possible. And I eat meat. 

Look, I think it is dumb to say plant based, because bread, French fries, pizza, cake, cookies, etc are all plant based.  SAD is plant based, it is a meaningless term. If you are saying in regards to athletes, you are simply saying athletes.   The way DH is saying it is meaningless as she is using the wrong term   DH eats a mostly clean omnivorous diet. 

If anyone is claiming being vegan helps them to be a better athlete, then that is a lie unless they were on an all sugar and carb diet before.   In this case, though, they would be better off just cutting out the crap instead of a valuable source of nutrients that it takes all sorts of machinations to attempt to replace.  

it is also dumb to think that because I am typing this that I am all meat based, I probably eat meat as often as you do.  It is also dumb to think that because I think kale tastes like ass (it does), I don’t sneak leafy greens in soups  or other dishes where I can hide the crap texture.   I eat more real veggies than most folks in the states, and probably more than at least half the folks on the forum.  

Anyway, it is totally misguided and wrong to say that being vegan gives you any sort of edge in performance or measurable improvement as compared to a similar diet, but including some meat.  Facts are facts, even in an age of trump-dumbassery and denial of what is real or obvious or logical.   

I agree, hell anyone with a functional brain knows we eat too much processed crap.   Convenience and cost are big factors in what we eat, and for most people, those always will be.  

All told, we are all probably 90% in agreement on what is goodish or healthierish for most people, but it seems that we really like to argue about the 10% difference.    Outlandish things should always be corrected, though, lest we end up like Kansas school board or just parrot the latest trendy hippie rainbow fart crap without questioning it. 

It is sort of unfortunate that some of the best foods for us are a little difficult to digest, but crappy things like cookies and cheese, no problem. Once again an illustration that he who made kittens put snakes in the grass.

Sometimes it seems like everything is perverse like that!  We have to kill animules to get meat, driving and heating our homes trashes the atmosphere, etc.  it is like the big guy or nature is effing with us, or more charitably, challenging us. May we live in interesting times. 

2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Look, I think it is dumb to say plant based, because bread, French fries, pizza, cake, cookies, etc are all plant based.  SAD is plant based, it is a meaningless term. If you are saying in regards to athletes, you are simply saying athletes.   The way DH is saying it is meaningless as she is using the wrong term   DH eats a mostly clean omnivorous diet. 

If anyone is claiming being vegan helps them to be a better athlete, then that is a lie unless they were on an all sugar and carb diet before.   In this case, though, they would be better off just cutting out the crap instead of a valuable source of nutrients that it takes all sorts of machinations to attempt to replace.  

it is also dumb to think that because I am typing this that I am all meat based, I probably eat meat as often as you do.  It is also dumb to think that because I think kale tastes like ass (it does), I don’t sneak leafy greens in soups  or other dishes where I can hide the crap texture.   I eat more real veggies than most folks in the states, and probably more than at least half the folks on the forum.  

Anyway, it is totally misguided and wrong to say that being vegan gives you any sort of edge in performance or measurable improvement as compared to a similar diet, but including some meat.  Facts are facts, even in an age of trump-dumbassery and denial of what is real or obvious or logical.   

I agree, hell anyone with a functional brain knows we eat too much processed crap.   Convenience and cost are big factors in what we eat, and for most people, those always will be.  

All told, we are all probably 90% in agreement on what is goodish or healthierish for most people, but it seems that we really like to argue about the 10% difference.    Outlandish things should always be corrected, though, lest we end up like Kansas school board or just parrot the latest trendy hippie rainbow fart crap without questioning it. 

We had some tough kale with dinner.  It was sliced really small.  It seems easier to eat this way.  Masking the flavor was easy with some dressing.  My favorite way of eating it it in kale chips.  Of course that is the least healthful way of doing so.

I do eat an omnivorous diet.  It is very hard for me to give it all up.  I enjoy meat and dairy.  In the last week, I have had 1/2 can of tuna, two slices of pizza, and a little bit of cheese with other meals.  Mostly what I eat is vegetables.  When I do really good and stick with all veg, my body feels really great.  

In regards to the athletes on all veg, I just wanted to point out that some people do that and perform really well.  More and more people are proving that it can be done.  There are so many options for plant based protein and calcium is loaded in plenty of plants as well.  We will find out much more about diets as time rolls on.  Facts get unlocked as time rolls on,

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

22 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Masking the flavor was easy with some dressing

WTF is wrong with you people?  Mask the flavour of kale?  I think it needs to be cooked thoroughly to bring oot its innate goodness.  Too raw and it can be pretty harsh. Kale chips can be made with very little oil, but it is a delicate process. 

10 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

WTF is wrong with you people?  Mask the flavour of kale?  I think it needs to be cooked thoroughly to bring oot its innate goodness.  Too raw and it can be pretty harsh. Kale chips can be made with very little oil, but it is a delicate process. 

It is tolerable.  My favorite healthful veg is red leaf lettuce and broccoli.  I can eat that plain, all day long. 

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It is tolerable.  My favorite healthful veg is red leaf lettuce and broccoli.  I can eat that plain, all day long. 

I grow some wonderful red lettuces in the spring. Red romaine, red sails, etc. Yup, good schitt!  I think my favourite is broccoli raab and Chinese broccoli, although all kinds of lettuces are great too. 

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

That's quite a manifesto.

Okay it's not the best term. Change it, I don't care. I think we all understand what a person means when they say plant-based. Mostly clean omnivorous works as long as it's not the Zima diet.

Read Jurek's book, it's good. 

I eat meat, hopefully, I will have some elk tonight. Those fuckers are plant-based vegans, organic, antiobiotic -free and delicious.

Happy Christmas RG. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Back before Kale started giving me anaphylaxis, I enjoyed it coarsely chopped and added to scrambled eggs with a little salt and pepper.   It was delicious. 

...kale flavor varies quite a bit with where and how it's grown, but especially the time of year it's harvested and how long it took to get from field to table.  And the different kales, like red Russian, Italian Dino Kale, the more common curly leaf stuff, all these taste a little different to me.  Secret message for @Dirtyhip : 

Spoiler

When you cook kale by frying or brazing it, it's not difficult to run a sharp knife along the thick stalk and just slice off the green, leafy parts to then chop and use as you see fit. It needs to be a sharp knife. Discard the stalks.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...I have honestly never eaten a kale chip.  If I break down and eat chips, it's either potato or corn chips. Potato chips are not absolutely the best way to eat potatoes, but they are pretty tasty.

Kale chips from the flat kale are great.  Labor intensive, but I like them better than potato chips and corn chips. 

They’re  are the only way I really like kale.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, Dirtyhip said:

Switched up on dairy and cut way the heck back on meat.  We might eat a meal with meat maybe once a week.  We still eat a little bit of cheese, cause vegan cheese sucks.  It sucks pretty bad, I just can't don't really like it. So dairy is pretty minimal in our diet.  I still like cream in my coffee.  Have not been able to kick that habit. 

I tend to look really closely at my test results.  I look at the trends of where is has been and that gives me a good idea of trend.  I may be one of those patients that asks a lot of questions and really takes care of their health.  The doc never has to nag me about getting blood drawn.  If anything, I am nagging them at sending the blood order to the hospital. 

My recent panel shows that my calcium increased, my red blood cells increased, My results have shown that I am doing everything right.  I didn't really need the meat.  My energy levels are better than ever.  My mood is better too.

Some of our changes have included adding tahini and tofu to our diet (Go ahead with the sponge jokes).  Both of these foods are high in calcium.  We tend to eat broccoli at least twice a week.  I'm eating kale too.  Kale is another high calcium food.  I've revved up the amount of mushrooms we eat. They are good source of protein and kinda taste meaty.  I do a saute with mushrooms and pecans.  It's delicious. About 3 months ago, I did start taking a supplement regularly.  It has made me feel great and I think it helped these results in a positive manner.  

It is my opinion that people eat way too much meat.  Processed meats are a known carcinogen.  I am wondering what will be found out about the paleo fad in a few years.  Paleo diet seems to be higher in meats.  

@Square Wheels

I'm glad the diet is working for you.  Make sure you're getting the nutrients you're diet may be low in.

Diets that stray far from the decades-of-study National Institutes of Health guidelines are little more than fads, though they may apply to people with certain health conditions.

Of all the popular diets, the Mediterranean Diet fits best in terms of roughly equally calories from the right carb/protein/fat amounts.