How did your cycling change..

Wilbur

I will turn 61 next month.

Over the past 5 years or so, I probably cycled just abit less.  Meaning a couple hundred less annually.  Less cycling with snow and ice compared to 8 yrs. ago.  I'm actually lower weight abit at this time of year compared to other years...but that may not last long.  But other than that, I cycled nearly daily during non snow-ice months.

I have some slight upper hip pain because I unknowingly twisted myself too much to try to lock up my bike, amongst a pile of other bikes yesterday.

• Heart 1

I've been slowing down, but more than age I think it was a job change that made it impractical to cycle after work.  It is sort of a snowball effect - the less i did, the less I felt like doing, so weekend rides suffered also, of course as you would expect with the loss of weekday conditioning.  Walking the dog has sort of taken its place and of course that is nowhere near as much exercise.  In short, I turned into even bigger of a load than I was before. :(

• Heart 2

38 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Injuries did it.

I worry about this.

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My cycling picked up as I approached 60. My kids were on their own and my wife was working a different shift. I had time to ride. My endurance picked up.

...but am planning on this.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

52 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I have had good and bad years...this past year was a bad one...but I don't think it is age realated..some was injury and some was companionship on the rides...

After my concussion 5 yrs ago., it took time to rebuild some confidence on bike especially cycling closely near others.  I do tend to be a little risk-adverse but it still doesn't affect my distances.   It doesn't help with e-scooters during non-snow months.. I don't see my problems as age-related.  I consider myself incredibly lucky to bike the frequency and distances at this time in my life. 

I can only say this:  after working in a hospital for paraplegic and quadriplegic adults for a few years in my mid-20's:  I thank for my mobility freedom.

• Heart 3

My 30's were my strongest and fastest years.  My 40's became my prime MTB years and endurance road riding. After my brush with a car and two surgeries at 50, riding became a backseat to everything activity.  I am still toying with what I want to do.  Maybe just a folder for the boat and a cross bike in town.  I don't know that I will take to the roads anymore.  MTB is fun as a group but I will be lagging my riding groups.. we will see. 

• Heart 1

I’m a little over 2 years from 60. I am more mindful of injuries than when I really got into riding at 45. I don’t have the lower back strength I did a few years ago, but I did set a KOM this year! My miles are down because of family and work more than my age. Hoping to change that in 2020. 
A rider in our group turned 65 last year. He has family and friends tell him to act his age.  He says I am acting my age! It’s other people acting old!

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

And it wasn't cycling injuries................except maybe for the spider bite that cost me a couple of months of prime riding season.

I actually only had three big cycling injuries and they were 5+ years between injuries. I broke my hip when I hit a steel pole in the middle of a bike trail. I hit three deer when speeding down a big hill, and I dropped off a big berm while looking behind me at a girl runner that spoke to me. Broke bones each time, messed up my shoulders.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

I started to really slow down when I turned 62. I'm about 1.5 mph slower on average than before then. Also my mileage has decreases. Makes sense - go slower and get fewer miles for the same amount of time on the bike. I'm thinking at least mileage will increase when I retire sometime in 2020.

Retirement ought to be a boon. Add in a relocation to SoCal or Hawaii, and you're set!

I do like that Garmin and now Strava give me some insight back in time to see how my 40's have been. I started Strava in 2011, and since then it shows, on my road bikes (a mix of riding but not my commuting miles), I average about 100 rides a year for 3155 miles, 182 hrs, @ 17.3 mph.  I hope my 50s will slowly open up more riding opportunities. 

2011 - 88 rides, 2,746 miles @ 162 hrs
2012 - 106 rides, 3,240 miles @ 184 hrs
2013 - 104 rides, 3,572 miles @ 203 hrs
2014 - 96 rides, 3,010 miles @ 179 hrs
2015 - 99 rides, 3,124 miles @ 183 hrs
2016 - 97 rides, 2,717 miles @ 162 hrs
2017 - 97 rides, 2,931 miles @ 167 hrs
2018 - 101 rides, 3,430 miles @ 195 hrs
2019 - TBD

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

jmyKhPR.jpg.1f42d160ca89251889a4a4c13fe5d347.jpg

Actually she was running the same direction as me on the other side of the road. She was just doing a little run after a marathon the day before. I don’t think she had a clue how bad I was injured. I put the chain back on the sprocket and adjusted the brake lever and road my bike back home to drive myself to the ER. 

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Actually she was running the same direction as me on the other side of the road. She was just doing a little run after a marathon the day before. I don’t think she had a clue how bad I was injured. I put the chain back on the sprocket and adjusted the brake lever and road my bike back home to drive myself to the ER. 

Remember, too many details might make folks suspicious.  Keep them in your back pocket until you need them, but also don't be afraid to feign ignorance.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Tried flipping the photo to get a look at the other side, but it didn't work.

smile.jpg

That’s why I turned my head to look back at her. I need to stop doing that. One time something fell off my bike and I heard it hit the trail. I turned my head to see what it was and rode right into the C&O Canal. Nobody saw me do it and I was not injured so I don’t often mention it.

• Haha 2