Do you want to move to Florida when you retire?

Road Runner

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

No. Humidity. We are looking at AZ. Hot, but not humid. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Nope.  I would consider Arizona though. 

I thought about Arizona, too.  I even investigated some of the "retirement" communities there a few years ago.  Unfortunately, I would probably never see my son or grandson again.  And I would be forced to clean out my garage.  That isn't a very pleasant thought.   :(

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Old#7 said:

Nope, not a fan of FL. I don’t mind the cold and snow and I like all four seasons. We are looking in the Bedford/Roanoke area to retire. Cycling and hiking is good. The mountains are pretty and it’s close to Smith Mountain Lake. This pic is from Peaks of Otter near Bedford.

68677457-75B8-488A-9948-57A875CE6EBE.jpeg

7E82281C-A889-45FB-BBD7-0D5C3FC04A3D.jpeg

The Carolinas are very nice.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Except for the snow.  Not a fan.  :(

More, you live in the Tidewater part of VA........to someone from New England that is half way to being FL.  I've lived in FL for three years and VA for 5 more.  I'd gladly take the heat.

FL is also not as crowded as one might think if the only experience is the tourist areas.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Nope, not a fan of FL. I don’t mind the cold and snow and I like all four seasons. We are looking in the Bedford/Roanoke area to retire. Cycling and hiking is good. The mountains are pretty and it’s close to Smith Mountain Lake. This pic is from Peaks of Otter near Bedford.

68677457-75B8-488A-9948-57A875CE6EBE.jpeg

7E82281C-A889-45FB-BBD7-0D5C3FC04A3D.jpeg

I wish I could convince my wife to do that!  I love the blue ridge but she is a jersey girl. Realistically it might depend on where the girls end up.  Chances are that is jersey so we will probably just stay put. 

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I thought about Arizona, too.  I even investigated some of the "retirement" communities there a few years ago.  Unfortunately, I would probably never see my son or grandson again.  And I would be forced to clean out my garage.  That isn't a very pleasant thought.   :(

I am starting my garage cleanup after the holidays are done. We are thinking of living in a regular community. Housing prices in one city we like are comparable enough that we can get a house we want for about the same as we have here. Just have to watch for HOAs as they are common, but not everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Not the story we heard.  We heard that you and your better half buzzed right through without even waving.

You heard wrong.  We called while we were driving through Greeneville.  Heard some sob story about needing to work.  We had this planned weeks in advance.  Take the day off.  Do you know who we are?  We don't get stood up.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

I visited my brother & SIL in Arizona in one of the Sun City projects. I will say the facilities are very nice. Anything you could ask for. Top of the line wood shop, Bocce ball, pools indoor & out, etc. But the housing itself was a bit weird. House itself was nice. Backed to a golf course. No lawn. But it didn't feel like a neighborhood. The sidewalk was a 24" wide. All the houses were shut  tight to the street. I think the back yards were more open but hard to get to know your neighbors. The paved trails were nice. Not super bike friendly though. I'm going to visit in Feb and see about either taking my bike or renting a road bike

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I thought about it, but didn't.  Several of my friends and my ex have moved to FL recently.

I just don't see why it is so great to sweat a lot and run the AC all year round.   :scratchhead:

In the "rank the states to retire in", Florida is in the top half, but not the top 10.  I bet if I dug into ALL the options in Florida, it would get into the top 10, but my casual awareness of the state is more in line with what others mention - humidity and people.  Add in bugs.  But there are likely fine spots that would be pretty nice as, at least, a part time retirement location.  There is a reason it is so crowded with former Northerners.

15 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

sidewalk was a 24" wide. All the houses were shut  tight to the street. I think the back yards were more open but hard to get to know your neighbors. The paved trails were nice. Not super bike friendly though. I'm going to visit in Feb and see about either taking my bike or renting a road bike

I like Sun City West.   The streets are wide and empty.  It would be great to explore on a bike.  I had no problem striking up conversations with people there.  The big problem is everyone drives like crap.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I like Sun City West.   The streets are wide and empty.  It would be great to explore on a bike.  I had no problem striking up conversations with people there.  The big problem is everyone drives like crap.

Probably right. I was only there for a couple days before I had to get back home. Will have a bit longer to stay in Feb

46 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You heard wrong.  We called while we were driving through Greeneville.  Heard some sob story about needing to work.  We had this planned weeks in advance.  Take the day off.  Do you know who we are?  We don't get stood up.

...and @AirwickWithCheese is now too popular and busy to post on your forum. :(  I had a brief dating experience with a girl like that in junior college.  She won some kind of beauty contest once, and wore false eyelashes.  :( :( :( I think she might have been from Florida.

...I have visited friends and traveled all over the state of Florida, and there were places there I liked very much.  But I have not been there in over 35 years, and I assume a lot of that has changed now.  The north inland part up near Lake City is not all that different from southern Georgia.  The keys were wonderful, as were some of the coastal islands on the Gulf side. Those are going underwater soon.  Mostly, I don't want to clean out the garage either.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

No I didn't.  You are revising history.  You left him standing on the from porch of Case Cheese staring off into the distance for the entire week.  He was longing for a visit and you let him down.

Just now, Kzoo said:

No I didn't.  You are revising history.  You left him standing on the from porch of Case Cheese staring off into the distance for the entire week.  He was longing for a visit and you let him down.

...so in this version, he no longer posts on the forum because of the deep and abiding hurt he has endured ? :popcorn:

14 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I never liked hot weather much until I got old. Now it's about the only time of the year here when something doesn't ache. :) 

Strangely I have developed greater resistance to colder dry winter temperatures since moving to Alberta.  I find -10 degree C winter in Alberta pleasant because the air is much drier than ie. Toronto where by the way, their summers are quite humid.  I have lost abit of my resistance to humid summers.

I haven't yet reached the point of feeling aches at this point in life.

Here in Vancouver, it is rare for it to snow beneath the mountains. Maybe less than 5 days each winter in total or some winters, no snow at all.  Nor am I bothered by grey, rainy days on some winter days.  It is the mildest part of Canada, along with Victoria and parts of Vancouver Island.    Right now, dearie has a new dehumidifier running at home....I joked that he wants to simulate Calgary dryness.  One can feel the difference of running a dehumidifier.

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Which number?

...here's the problem with buying bananas at the grocery store.  They are all picked green, and gas ripened in controlled storage along the way.  Thus, bananas you grow and pick yourself when they have ripened on the tree are far superior in every asapect, including taste and texture.  And don't even get me started on plantains. :) 

No.  I actually like where I live and would be happy staying here, but the taxes are high.  I expect at least one if not both of my sisters will move at some point during retirement.  As a single person with no kids, I expect at some point during the aging process I'll want to be somewhere where there would be more services available.    I'd definitely consider moving, but I'd want to see where my family ended up. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1