Taken out of our backdoor right before feeding.

sheep_herder

Those are mud buttes, badland type of formations.  The landscape is rolling with deeper ravines and some flat areas on top.  About 6-7 miles east is a forested area, the northern most reaches of the Black Hills formation. One really cannot call the landscape flat, even on the eastern side of the state.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Those are mud buttes, badland type of formations.  The landscape is rolling with deeper ravines and some flat areas on top.  About 6-7 miles east is a forested area, the northern most reaches of the Black Hills formation. One really cannot call the landscape flat, even on the eastern side of the state.

My daughter in law used to ask the kids when she smelled something "OK, who's got a mud butt?" This was my eldest son's wife.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

We drove up to Bozeman yesterday. It really flattens out up that way. 

16 minutes ago, Zackny said:

We drove up to Bozeman yesterday. It really flattens out up that way. 

Too bad I did not know you were planning this trip, as I would have suggested you go via 191 and return via 287.  We use to choose one or the other when traveling, depending upon the weather and snow conditions.  Both are nice, but very different.