I got the flu

Allen

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Actually, @Razors Edge should be my connection.

The District of Columbia had the fastest rate of increase in mortality from opioids with an annual percent change of 228.3%

Yeah, it's tough to argue against.  In fact -- because RE is involved -- you can really get a fix.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:23 AM, Allen said:

I thought I was having the worst hangover of my life.

Hangovers don’t usually come with fevers. Hangovers go away. 
ugh.  

I remember a New Year's Eve a decade ago where we drank like mad with our neighbors.  Totally trashed.  New Year's Day, we couldn't get off the couch all day.  Felt like a severe flu.  It was a massive hangover.

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I remember a New Year's Eve a decade ago where we drank like mad with our neighbors.  Totally trashed.  New Year's Day, we couldn't get off the couch all day.  Felt like a severe flu.  It was a massive hangover.

It’s lasted too long. I’m sick. Better than yesterday though. 

• Heart 1

On 12/28/2019 at 4:18 PM, Dottie said:

Yeah, it's tough to argue against.  In fact -- because RE is involved -- you can really get a fix.

I always love the dolts who compare a city (or, literally, a "federal district") to a state.  Just stupid. Makes the resulting data useless without excluding it, and then that wastes that data as well.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I always love the dolts who compare a city (or, literally, a "federal district") to a state.  Just stupid. Makes the resulting data useless without excluding it, and then that wastes that data as well.

Really they’re just grouping 100,000’s of people together based on geopolitical boundaries, and measuring how many of them die as a result of opiate overdoses. Washington D.C. is fine to be considered a city or a region.

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Really they’re just grouping 100,000’s of people together based on geopolitical boundaries, and measuring how many of them die as a result of opiate overdoses. Washington D.C. is fine to be considered a city or a region.

Seriously? Yowza, that's raw awful thinking right there. Good as maybe bureaucratic thinking, but horrible as an apples-to-apples methodology.

Compare cities to cities, states to states, and countries to countries. 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Seriously? Yowza, that's raw awful thinking right there. Good as maybe bureaucratic thinking, but horrible as an apples-to-apples methodology.

You’re just sore because your region is now exceeding Appalachia in opiate death rates.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

You’re just sore because your region is now exceeding Appalachia in opiate death rates.

NoVa?  I don't think so.  Virginia, even with it's poor SW region, still does pretty well in these sorts of things.  It's a pretty reasonable state, with some good and some bad mixed in.

On 12/28/2019 at 1:16 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

Actually, @Razors Edge should be my connection.

The District of Columbia had the fastest rate of increase in mortality from opioids with an annual percent change of 228.3%

On 12/28/2019 at 1:18 PM, Dottie said:

45 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

36 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

...the reason you can't do this with Washington, D.C. and expect meaningful results is that the population demographics are still severely skewed from white flight to the surrounding suburbs during the 50's-70's era.  I know this because I lived there, grew up there during that  time period, and drove a cab there in the 70's. It's has never really recovered from that event, for a number of reasons.  Mostly, growth has continued to expand out into MD and VA.

Thus you have a population within the boundaries of the federal district that is still skewed toward lower incomes and selected by race in ways that are not represented in states.

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How does this work with Texas?  We were a country and a state?

8 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...the reason you can't do this with Washington, D.C. and expect meaningful results is that the population demographics are still severely skewed from white flight to the surrounding suburbs during the 50's-70's era.  I know this because I lived there, grew up there during that  time period, and drove a cab there in the 70's. It's has never really recovered from that event, for a number of reasons.  Mostly, growth has continued to expand out into MD and VA.

Thus you have a population within the boundaries of the federal district that is still skewed toward lower incomes and selected by race in ways that are not represented in states.

Common sense would be that either include it in some way with the Maryland numbers, or exclude it from a list of STATES.  It needs to be factored in, but when you are ranking things, it makes no sense to have it in the states and not cities or metropolitan areas lists.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Common sense would be that either include it in some way with the Maryland numbers, or exclude it from a list of STATES.  It needs to be factored in, but when you are ranking things, it makes no sense to have it in the states and not cities or metropolitan areas lists.

Where in my post is the word “state”?

On 12/28/2019 at 4:16 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

2 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...the reason you can't do this with Washington, D.C. and expect meaningful results is that the population demographics

People are dying. The death rates are increasing fastest in the Washington DC area than anywhere else in the country. Those are facts. They are meaningful results in and of themselves. I would not be so fast to assume this is purely inner city problems, though. The opiate epidemic has hit many communities. 

29 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

People are dying. The death rates are increasing fastest in the Washington DC area than anywhere else in the country. Those are facts. They are meaningful results in and of themselves. I would not be so fast to assume this is purely inner city problems, though. The opiate epidemic has hit many communities. 

...I did not read your source statistics.  Are they for the District proper (within the boundaries as laid out by George Washington), or are they for the metropolitan area ? The Metropolitan area for D.C. is not confined within the original boundaries. So what exactly are the facts in this case ? Your posting clearly says "District of Columbia".  Once again, I grew up there, and I am pretty familiar with the population demographics.