Canadian content.

Wilbur

The new mandate from the Feds in Canada is that Online entertainment companies like Amazon, Netflix, Apple Music etc are to include Canadian content. :(   This means, some US programs will be dropped so the lineup will change.   That is why Netflix etc became so popular so fast in Canada.  

I need a way around this..  I wonder if a US IP would work. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The new mandate from the Feds in Canada is that Online entertainment companies like Amazon, Netflix, Apple Music etc are to include Canadian content. :(   This means, some US programs will be dropped so the lineup will change.   That is why Netflix etc became so popular so fast in Canada.  

I need a way around this..  I wonder if a US IP would work. 

I appreciate the market driven American content... some of it is good and some just trash. Just like Canadian content.  Also Canadian shows that don't last beyond a few seasons is just like that for U.S. shows too.  

What is interesting the type of Canadian shows that have been syndicated in other countries/beyond our borders.  (And yea, those shows were originally aired via CBC....) 

Idiotic as it may seem, for the home renovation shows, I like watching the Vancouver based show, nationally aired show (don't know if it's aired in the U.S.) that features homes locally that have been spruced up and presented to tv feature couple to list for home or to keep their home.  A way to see terrific renos and....views in the area that we sorta know but not really in great detail, unless we know such wealthy folks with stunning ocean/mountain views from home.  To me, It's better to watch this than home renos in California.  Better natural environment views. :)  Less scorched/parched looking mountains.

I'm bummed that Royal CAnadian Air Farce comedy series is doing its last show for New Year's Eve ...after airing weekly for past 30+ yrs.  A lot of Canadians...probably of certain generations, loved the political/social satire.

I know that forumites may not know what I'm talking about....more about well, some Canadians don't just want to hear just political satire from the American comedians.  We have our own problems, hiccups and shenanigans to laugh over.  However the Internet via some freebie videos is probably changing a lot on awareness.  Or maybe not.  Maybe people get even more intense on home front humour and local issues and forget the rest of the world/lost in real news vs. entertainment.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I guess my gripe is, we have a state broadcaster with a huge budget.  I don't mind them being required to supply and support Canadian content.  I don't think we have any business mandating the same for foreign entities.  I like free markets.  

I agree In principle. Much of what I like on Netflix is Belgian or French TV origin. I wouldn’t like that cut back on to accommodate “more” US content. Although does Netflix really need to cut back on what they offer to also include “adequate” Candadian content? I’d think the same would be true for Amazon, Hulu, etc. Their servers should be huge and able to add content easily so it’s not a this or that situation.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I guess my gripe is, we have a state broadcaster with a huge budget.  I don't mind them being required to supply and support Canadian content.  I don't think we have any business mandating the same for foreign entities.  I like free markets.  

In British Columbia there is a non-profit tv broadcaster, Knowledge Network and around for at least last 20 yrs.  They buy and air detective series from Great Britain, Sweden...which dearie loves to watch several different series.  Some of the British shows are quite good and less on the fast moving action and special effects, just to cover up thin/crappy plots.  Not much American detective shows since Canadians know they can watch ABC, CBS, NBC stations. That's why some of the foreign series are featured on Canadian tv stations. It's just more choice for us.  We also watch some shows via PBS-like station in Washington state. 

My only comedy sitcom series from the U.S. I enjoyed a lot were: "Will and Grace" and "The Big Bang Theory".   

I'm probably revealing my political bent, but I like Noah Trevor (who is not American, originally from South Africa).  It was cool when he went back to South Africa to visit his mother....a real tough lady (if you have read his autobiography, which I have/asked for one of my birthday gifts awhile back).  They filmed it. 

I don't watch faked reality show sitcoms.  It is disgusting to show bombastic behaviour just for the sake of tv. Not interested in such shows to demonstrate survivalist/whoever wins in the hamster wheel of group behaviour dynamics.  After watching such a show, it feels toxic.

A lot of countries have built-in limitations on foreign content - while the local providers scream "free enterprise means no restrictions on us!"  But eliminating anything without local content seems excessive.

Back in the 70's, I admired Canada's prohibition on using celebrities in commercials.  To me that made sense.  But does Canadian content mean in every show?  And what defines it?  A mention of Canada? A Canadian product?  I very much admire BBC shows like Doc Martin, Dr. Who, Death in Paradise, and reruns of Last of the Summer Wine, Are You Being Served, The Vicar of Dibley, All Creatures Great and Small, etc. that are seen on U.S. Public Broadcasting System channels that have no or virtually no U.S. content.  American actress Susan Sarandon had a minor role on one of the episodes of Doc Martin. Does that count as American content?  Or does it have to be something like the episode of Dr. Who that took place in New York or the character Captain Jack Harkness, who was an American but did his best scenes rescuing British Hottie and greatest-ever Dr. Who companion Rose Tyler over the skies of London (England, not Ontario)?

1235042067_RoseTyler-CaptainJackHarkness.gif.bc4fcfb9fba1e4f34c2f96d38b5f6872.gif