We cooked a spiral ham last night.

maddmaxx

It was bad.  Something seems to have happened to it and it came out with a nasty greasy taste so we threw it out.  Womaxx was so disappointed that she made an emergency run to the grocery to buy another ham for today.  We had already planned on the leftovers for pea soup and had all the fixings in place.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It was bad.  Something seems to have happened to it and it came out with a nasty greasy taste so we threw it out.  Womaxx was so disappointed that she made an emergency run to the grocery to buy another ham for today.  We had already planned on the leftovers for pea soup and had all the fixings in place.

I usually haven't been happy with spiral hams, but less for taste than for thinness of the slices and they seem less moist.

We had a big, solid beef roast for Christmas and a big, solid ham for Saturday's White Elephant Present Exchange and Saran Wrap Game and both were so nice and juicy.  My brother managed to bake the beef so one end was rare - which he and I love - and the other end was medium with no red center - which others in the family prefer.

I hope your new ham works well.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Do you think it had spoiled? I recently made pork ribs. One of the racks smelled off as I opened the package. It didn’t improve much with cooking and didn’t get eaten, the other rack was fine. :dontknow:

It might have been although no bad smell was noticed before it was cooked.  The bad smell and taste appeared when the cooking was finished.

WoW bought 3 pork loins on a closeout price from the local grocer. We ate one the first night and it was delicious! She put the other 2 in the freezer the next morning. She thawed one a couple weeks ago and it smelled bad when she broke the seal. We tossed them. ?

We got them cheap so I know they were about to expire. Even eating only the 1, we came out ok. 
BTW- Sam’s Club sells delicious spiral hams 

6 minutes ago, groupw said:

WoW bought 3 pork loins on a closeout price from the local grocer. We ate one the first night and it was delicious! She put the other 2 in the freezer the next morning. She thawed one a couple weeks ago and it smelled bad when she broke the seal. We tossed them. ?

We got them cheap so I know they were about to expire. Even eating only the 1, we came out ok. 
BTW- Sam’s Club sells delicious spiral hams 

This may have been the problem.  Even though the date on the ham was a long way from expired, these were "sale" items priced to get them out of the stores stock.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

This may have been the problem.  Even though the date on the ham was a long way from expired, these were "sale" items priced to get them out of the stores stock.

No argument from me. I understand that’s why they needed to go. Just surprised they turned that fast. 

Well, today's ham was disappointing.  It was good, but it was shot through with fat and gristle.  Not the best ham I've ever served for dinner.  It will serve well in the pea soup however.

Both were store brands (different stores) as opposed to brand name hams.

It will be a while before I try anything other than a ham steak again.  Back to chickens and Turkeys.