Help...I may lose my job....

petitepedal

So...I work for a management company and my boss is not a people person and has now clue that in working with 250 people not everyone is going to like you.  In my opinion, I treat everyone the same..but some people feel otherwise...and it has been an "issue" previously due to a single comment....SO today I had a 3:30 meeting with the committee that is doing the tech stuff to work on our presentation on Tuesday...and the new board president (who was president when I was hired...with mood swings and control issues..and a PITA) sat down at our table.  As asked her politely to leave because we were working on our presentaition...and she said "don't you think as president I should know what is happening" (meanwhile I have a member who is not sure we are making the right choice and...we are a mess)...and I said no we need to work on this and I would like to get out of here (it is a holiday right?) on time. "Well, my being here won't interfere...I won't slow you down"  Another person said Don't you want to get the full presentation with everyone else?... I asked her again...to please let us work on this...she left...then proceeded to leave a nasty voice message on my voice mail as to how I don't intimidate her and SHE IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE BOARD AND I WORK FOR HER.....

Well...I work for all of the residents and am hired by the mgmt company...however as I said my boss has zero people skills....

So...I may be out of work by next Tuesday.................

Try not to worry all weekend.  Whatever will be will be.  Use the time to prep your portfolio, so you can just find another job.  

Sorry to hear about your troubles over there.  From what you have posted, the place seems pretty stressful.  

• Heart 1

Try not to worry all weekend.  Whatever will be will be.  Use the time to prep your portfolio, so you can just find another job.  

Sorry to hear about your troubles over there.  From what you have posted, the place seems pretty stressful.  

^^^^this

I've got some awesome resume/job search tips if you want to work on those.

In the meantime, it is best not to argue with a controlling supervisor.  You will lose.  

In my experience, It is best to just play the yes game.  They call the shots.  I have a boss like that, and I just say yes...yes, and don't worry too much about it.

If this was her first update on the tech issue it might have been useful to have her input. If she is Prez..she is going to control the discussion w/the Board. Have you been keeping her updated on the different options? $300k sounds like a lot of money.

Ultimately aren't you just presenting options to the Board so they can decide? Or are you recommending a solution?

work your other Board contacts up & down the food chain. if it was me I would refrain from sharing the VM.

Good luck. You have a good heart

My wife treats a lot of patients, a small percentage of them of chronic complainers. She just got written up because a drug seeker complained to my wifes boss because she told him she couldn't get him any more refills on his drugs.

In the meantime, it is best not to argue with a controlling supervisor.  You will lose.  

In my experience, It is best to just play the yes game.  They call the shots.  I have a boss like that, and I just say yes...yes, and don't worry too much about it.

Very good advice.  The best advice I have ever heard in the corporate world is to lower your expectations.  Which means just accept the stupidity and bullshit, because you can't fight city hall.  Set your own priorities, which they are effectively telling you to be your own life when other people are overcontrolling corporate life.

But Scapr has a good point too.  I shirley don't know the whole situation, but it seems like if she wanted to be involved in the process, PITA or not, it might be prudent to let her.  But yes, it is a fine line when handling powerful tyrants.

Sorry to hear about the stress, I agree with everyone in that it does sound like a chaotic and stressy lot.  I also agree that higher-ups in the pecking order don't like to be shown the door, it is often best to just to humor them and get on with it.  

I am finding that I am remarkably untroubled about not working for where I was, I am even pretty calm about it, and it might not be the worst thing in the world for you to be out of your workplace, too, although you do seem to care and enjoy aspects of it.  Are you super-portable?  Married to MN?  It could be time to move the hell somewhere else and shake things up.

So, the boss sits down at your table, figuring she'd grace you with her presence, and you should be honored to have her there, and you ask her to leave.  Saaweeet!  You're my hero...  It sounds like you weren't alone in wanting her gone.  I hope it doesn't have the consequenses you're thinking it might have...

So, the boss sits down at your table, figuring she'd grace you with her presence, and you should be honored to have her there, and you ask her to leave.  Saaweeet!  You're my hero...  It sounds like you weren't alone in wanting her gone.  I hope it doesn't have the consequenses you're thinking it might have...

Wth have you been?  You are missed when you are awol!!!

Well...Happy Morning...gonna try to let it all go...FYI the board president is a resident who was elected to the board by other residents..she is in her mid to late 70's....and in the last 3 board presidents did not come to break with us and let us do our jobs....This woman was on the board when the board decided I would be put in charge of a committee of residents to research "technology" options...basically to improve our pirated WIFI and improve TV...  Our meeting was to try and refine a bit more what we are selling to them as our choice on Tuesday.

Oh and for what is worth she and another board member were asking questions about this last week and I spent  a good deal of time talking to them about it....So it isn't like our meeting was about unknown stuff...

She is in a manic phase or something similar....I've seen it and experienced it before...next week she might be pleasant and I might be wonderful....meh

Petite, please don't stress over what's been happening. Enjoy your Independence Day holiday and your time off. Do something relaxing or hang out with cool people, online or in the real world. 

No matter what happens in your workplace, you'll do fine. You've got a lot of experience in your field and even in a worst-case scenario, there will be other options for you. Sometimes, the changes which result from a situation like this will turn out to be incredibly good, despite the present chaos.

Petite, please don't stress over what's been happening. Enjoy your Independence Day holiday and your time off. Do something relaxing or hang out with cool people, online or in the real world. 

No matter what happens in your workplace, you'll do fine. You've got a lot of experience in your field and even in a worst-case scenario, there will be other options for you. Sometimes, the changes which result from a situation like this will turn out to be incredibly good, despite the present chaos.

Listen to what he said. If all else fails, hit the president with a sexual harassment accusation.

Well...Happy Morning...gonna try to let it all go...FYI the board president is a resident who was elected to the board by other residents..she is in her mid to late 70's....and in the last 3 board presidents did not come to break with us and let us do our jobs....This woman was on the board when the board decided I would be put in charge of a committee of residents to research "technology" options...basically to improve our pirated WIFI and improve TV...  Our meeting was to try and refine a bit more what we are selling to them as our choice on Tuesday.

Oh and for what is worth she and another board member were asking questions about this last week and I spent  a good deal of time talking to them about it....So it isn't like our meeting was about unknown stuff...

She is in a manic phase or something similar....I've seen it and experienced it before...next week she might be pleasant and I might be wonderful....meh

That's it.  Serenity now. :)