Who remembers Y2K?

Kzoo

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Who stockpiled water? Who put plastic wrap on their windows? Who took other Doomsday preparations?

Wasn't that 9/11?  Or maybe the anthrax thing?

Anyway, we fixed all our software prior to Y2K. They had some poor schlubs (actually our top help desk folks) at the office on New Year's Eve ready to handle any immediate issues.  They told the rest of the dev team that we had to be local and ready to respond within 1hr to any "emergency" software crisis.  I chose to fly to California to spend New Years with my lady.  No emergency ever happened, and no one noticed I was away :D

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wasn't that 9/11?  Or maybe the anthrax thing?

Anyway, we fixed all our software prior to Y2K. They had some poor schlubs (actually our top help desk folks) at the office on New Year's Eve ready to handle any immediate issues.  They told the rest of the dev team that we had to be local and ready to respond within 1hr to any "emergency" software crisis.  I chose to fly to California to spend New Years with my lady.  No emergency ever happened, and no one noticed I was away :D

Good choice. :hapydance:

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

Unless you believe the conspiracies, no one anticipated 9/11.

I remember a "buy duct tape and plastic film" sort of craze after either 9/11 or the anthrax scare.  It was a reaction to some unknown threat.

For Y2K, I remember more a fill your bathtub and buy batteries sort of thing.  Not worried about some attack, as much as a suspension of services of the infrastructure - water or electric shut down.

31 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Who stockpiled water? Who put plastic wrap on their windows? Who took other Doomsday preparations?

During Y2K, the local hospital (that we took care of the landscaping) had emergency generators, but relied on city water. They asked us to fill both of our 3600 gallon water tankers and park them both inside their maintenance building so they could flush the toilets. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I claimed all along it was a scam. I did nothing and had confidence that nothing was going to happen.

It wasn't a scam.  There were billions upon billions of lines of code that would be completely useless if not addressed.  The average business down the street would not be able to close their books for 1999 if not addressed.  Accounting systems, production scheduling systems, inventory systems...  all not working correctly.  

Was your car going to die or you watch stop working? no.  You microwave and stove and furnace all just fine - the calculation on the interest on your account in the bank - not so much.

From a business perspective, company owners and business executives spent a WHOLE bunch of money and from their perspective, everything worked just fine on Monday the 3rd.  After that they slowed their spending on IT projects.  It had a lasting effect on the economy at that time.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

It wasn't a scam. 

It wasn't a scam as much as totally blown out of proportion and hyped beyond reasonable expectations - for most folks.

We certainly had many changes to our software to make but did it in the mid-to-late 90s. Mostly it was getting the database to be 4 digit vs 2 for the year fields, and making a distinction between 1900 and 2000 stuff.  It was a crapshoot with the older stuff, but unlike the banks, most of our software was written for traditional Windows servers and associated Microsoft software, so it was us just needing THEM to make their fixes and then making sure our software still worked.  The poor older industries that had used or were still using mainframes had the biggest legacy issues.  I definitely think the threat was real and HUGE for them.

For a couple of months I used to ride the Hertz bus from their parking lot to the airport in Orlando on Friday afternoons.  There were always a batch of Y2K programmers going home for the weekend on that bus.  They were always well dressed, ties, jackets etc.  They'd all line up like ducklings at the skycap terminal to check in (pre 9/11).  They always wondered why a skycap would pick my bags up at the bus and take me round to a hidden terminal behind a pillar.  One day one asked me why I got such good treatment.  I pointed to the pocket in my Hawaiian shirt where my ticket folder was ................ with 3 one dollar bills peeking out of the top.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Don't forget to turn your computers off before midnight.

What have you been doing for the last 20 years?

I notice that most sites asking for your birthdate still include four digits for the year - I guess they want to be ok in 2100.