Will you stay up until midnight?

Kirby

Most years I go to whatever bar my brother's band is playing, often our cousin's sportsbar.

This year, I'm relaxing at home.  I may be awake at midnight, maybe not.  If I'm hungry, I may boil that pound of shrimp in the freezer.  Tomorrow it's going to be Jan. 1 no matter what.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Actually, I've never quite understood the "celebration" of the new year.  We don't celebrate new days or weeks or months, so what's the big deal?  It's just another day on the calendar. 

Ever been to Wisconsin?

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Actually, I've never quite understood the "celebration" of the new year.  We don't celebrate new days or weeks or months, so what's the big deal?  It's just another day on the calendar. 

It's another drinking holiday. Do you think people are really into St. Patrick or just enjoying boozing?

The little town that I live in pretty much shouts down on new years eve. Every bar will be closed by 10 pm. The bar owners don't want to deal with the drunks and we don't have any public transit, taxi's or Uber. All the bars are with in a 4 block area so the cops have field day. 

Wo46 and I are meeting up with some friends at the corner bar for drinks and a pizza. We will walk all the 3 blocks there and back when the bar closes at 7 or 8 tonight. 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Staying up is no fun now that Dick Clark is dead.  Is was barely fun when he was alive.

I think we enjoyed that ball drop back in the 80s.  We'd be eating pizza, eating junk food, and drinking soda.  Then, we'd watch the last few minutes with the ball drop, and then usually go outside and set off fireworks.  It was fun as a pre-teen/young teen. I think it got progressively worse the more he hung around (and the 80s music changed too).  Not sure how it played out in the 90s, but I can't imagine it got any better.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, BR46 said:

The little town that I live in pretty much shouts down on new years eve. Every bar will be closed by 10 pm. The bar owners don't want to deal with the drunks and we don't have any public transit, taxi's or Uber. All the bars are with in a 4 block area so the cops have field day. 

Wo46 and I are meeting up with some friends at the corner bar for drinks and a pizza. We will walk all the 3 blocks there and back when the bar closes at 7 or 8 tonight. 

That really surprises me. Ho smudge lived in Milwaukee early/mid 70's. We met early 80's. I was surprised when he said bars in Milwaukee/WI are open 24hours/day or opened real early. Then he reminded me it's Wisconsin. Well, ya; makes sense.

16 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I think we enjoyed that ball drop back in the 80s.  We'd be eating pizza, eating junk food, and drinking soda.  Then, we'd watch the last few minutes with the ball drop, and then usually go outside and set off fireworks.  It was fun as a pre-teen/young teen. I think it got progressively worse the more he hung around (and the 80s music changed too).  Not sure how it played out in the 90s, but I can't imagine it got any better.

It’ snot the same without Guylum.