Do you have your real ID yet

maddmaxx

How come there are different rules for different residents for different states for passengers on ID for airflights?  It's not like that at all in Canada:  it is 1 federal rule/law and that's the end of it.  Make it simple and cost-efficient for everyone.  Of course, I'm trying to remember what was asked of my when I was on a seaplane, for small aircraft twice being flown within British Columbia... I'm pretty certain it's still federal law. There is no provincial law nor municipality bylaw covering air transportation at all for passengers. In fact, I am so certain there is NO provincial law covering B.C., Ontario and Alberta...provinces where I've lived. It's federal Canadian law re our ID as  passengers....because we don't have government infrastructure nor staff trained for enforcement at the provincial nor municipal level for passenger air.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Don't know what a real ID is.  I have a passport.

The Real ID Act requires that a state do enhanced measures to verify identity before issuing a "real" drivers license that can be used for flights starting in October 2020.  Some state procedures already satisfied the requirements and some states had to revise their procedures in order to get compliant certificates.  It usually requires showing additional ID at the DMV such as a social security card, birth certificate or W-2 payroll form with your social security number on it.

You can also get an enhanced real ID which you can use for entry by car to Canada (and maybe Mexico).

I got mine earlier this year.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

How come there are different rules for different residents for different states for passengers on ID for airflights?  It's not like that at all in Canada:  it is 1 federal rule/law and that's the end of it.  Make it simple and cost-efficient for everyone.

Some states already complied with the enhanced procedures so their licenses qualified.  Other states didn't do the extra verification, so their licenses didn't qualify until they revised the procedures for issuing licenses.  Some states got an extension and their licenses were allowed for a limited period of time while they revamped their procedures.  Ultimately the federal rules governed what ID is required to fly, but the confusion was because some states didn't meet those requirements (at least at first).

Just now, Kirby said:

Some states already complied with the enhanced procedures so their licenses qualified.  Other states didn't do the extra verification, so their licenses didn't qualify until they revised the procedures for issuing licenses.  Some states got an extension and their licenses were allowed for a limited period of time while they revamped their procedures.  Ultimately the federal rules governed what ID is required to fly, but the confusion was because some states didn't meet those requirements (at least at first).

THx for this, Kirby.

I fly several times across CAnada annually with Air Canada...and I use my passport. MANY Canadians use their passport to even fly domestic air.....I see them like me, holding out their blue passports while we all lineup at the airport and airline staff scan each of our passports before we board. I actually haven't seen anyone use their driver's license in the last few years.  I do notice the colour of passports...that's how I can note if they have Canadian citizenship (or if they are from China, Philippines, etc.).  Sure there are LOTS  of Asian faces with Canadian passports when I'm at our major CAnadian airports.  

I chose to apply for a Canadian passport valid for next 10 yrs.  Which is almost $200.00.  Or 5 yr valid passport which is abit cheaper.  This only applies for Canadians who had a passport already, but it expired and need to renew.  Still a process......

In CANada for those who fly even just a few times domestically, it's just easier to flash and faster to show your passport. And for anyone living near the Canada -U.S. border, it's just a lot easier to have your passport if travelling by train, car, bus or by bike.

The border traffic in Vancouver weekend a few days ago, in the car lineups were up to 87 min. wait.  We were in a train...which did take half an hr. when U.S. authorities boarded to inspect....they ask for the PASSPORT. Nothing else.

as a Canadian, I am prepared to pay for the price of my Canadian passport, even if only travelling in the U.S. And I feel safest with my Canadian passport wherever I go overseas....even if only in the U.S.  I have no patience for people who bitch about the cost.  GEt over it...be thankful of your citizenship, rights and privileges.  Produce the best ID as required.

I've got a passport, but I'd never think to bring it on a domestic trip when my license works - just one more thing for me to worry about losing.   I also signed up for one of the trusted traveler programs that is administered by the Federal Govt and comes with its own ID.  It helps expedite getting through customs, but it also works for the pre-check lanes at some airports.  That ID also qualifies as a "real ID".

5 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I've got a passport, but I'd never think to bring it on a domestic trip when my license works - just one more thing for me to worry about losing.   I also signed up for one of the trusted traveler programs that is administered by the Federal Govt and comes with its own ID.  It helps expedite getting through customs, but it also works for the pre-check lanes at some airports.  That ID also qualifies as a "real ID".

I think the Nexus card helps those for pre-check lanes from the Canadian side.  There are still the application and other ID required to be filled out, etc.  However haven't used it because I've never had jobs that required air travel.  Clearly you may have, Kirby.

Since 9/11, the Canadian govn't became stricter and I noticed less use of driver's license by Canadians flying domestic flights.  The rationale is probably tied to the cost of Canadian passport...may as well as put it to good use during the time it's valid.  

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

How come there are different rules for different residents for different states for passengers on ID for airflights?  It's not like that at all in Canada:  it is 1 federal rule/law and that's the end of it.  Make it simple and cost-efficient for everyone.  Of course, I'm trying to remember what was asked of my when I was on a seaplane, for small aircraft twice being flown within British Columbia... I'm pretty certain it's still federal law. There is no provincial law nor municipality bylaw covering air transportation at all for passengers. In fact, I am so certain there is NO provincial law covering B.C., Ontario and Alberta...provinces where I've lived. It's federal Canadian law re our ID as  passengers....because we don't have government infrastructure nor staff trained for enforcement at the provincial nor municipal level for passenger air.

There are reasons, but I am too lazy to type it all out.  :)  It is federal though and it is in the US as well.  

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

In 2020 you will need a real id or a passport or a military id to board a plane.  There are going to be some long lines at the DMV.

No. My drivers license expires on my birthday, Oct. 1, 2020, which coincidentally is the day the new I.D. is required.

I also have a current passport.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I think the Nexus card helps those for pre-check lanes from the Canadian side.  There are still the application and other ID required to be filled out, etc.  However haven't used it because I've never had jobs that required air travel.  Clearly you may have, Kirby.

I actually haven't had to fly for work for years, but there are a lot of "road warriors" at work and I got the card so that if I do have to travel for work I won't be the one holding everyone up (or left behind when they zip through the customs lines).  But the pre-check part of it is useful for personal travel within the US too.

22 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

One of the things they want to get the real ID is your social security card. My social security card says right on it “NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES”. Screw them, I’ll just use my passport.

I believe my social security number number and birth certificate was submitted as part of my application for passport. Plus on the first application (not renewal) one has to name 2 Canadian guarantors who can vouch for you.  One provides their phone number and home address.  Yes, a guarantor has been contacted by the federal govn't in the check of me.. I have no problems. I can see some people getting overly concerned about this (then, they don't understand at all about govn't processes and all the checks that must be done.)  

In Canada any company asking for your social insurance number who is not your current employer, that is actually illegal.  (I know this as a law librarian who had to inform all our legal staff ...since they had not time to monitor  fire hose of all latest govn't news).   Different levels of the Canadian govn't do ask for your social security number for eligibility to various govn't funded benefits provided to Canadians.

I have used my passport...to vote in elections. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I already had to stand inline at the DMV for my in person age 70 DL renewal.  So it was an easy decision to bring along the additional documentation for a Real ID.

I had to google that as I had no idea that California was that far ahead of the curve.  It's an excellent idea.  Now, if there were some way to enforce laws for younger drivers who are unsafe to drive as well.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/california-driving-laws-seniors-older-drivers.html

I can get through the express lanes of security/ TSA Pre-check with any of the following, my NEXUS/Global Entry card, Aeroplan Elite card, RAIC (Flight Crew ID), AMEX elite, Uniform. 

Through Customs in NA, NEXUS or Passport.  NEXUS and Uniform access is shorter. 

When travelling in Canada and US, I just use my NEXUS card as my passports get full of stamps before they expire.  I have two Canadian passports so that can cause problems, especially if my office books flights with one and I show up with the other.  :) 

I am the only one in the family without it.  While the State started issuing in 2011, it wasn't an issue as I renewed in 2016. It appears those that renewed online didn't get the Star while those that went in did. Somehow, even my daughter who lives in Switzerland got one as she probably renewed one year when visiting. Due to time, she now uses an International DL outside the US. Uses our address as her official US address so maintains the FL drivers license and voter registration.

Shouldn't be too bad to renew. When paid property taxes is in the same building, and while I did walk-in, both systems have a reservation process that inserts the reservation into the walk-in  queue at the specified time. While property tax queue was relatively short (45 minutes), DL was several hours so will definitely do a reservation. Just resent having to since existing isn't expiring and essentially tricked into doing it online after living in this house for over 20 years.

20 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

In 2020 you will need a real id or a passport or a military id to board a plane.  There are going to be some long lines at the DMV.

Or many other options.

Sadly, my DL is good for another 8 years, so we'll see if I bother with the updated one or just use other methods:

• Real ID Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

While I can and will use a passport, looks like I may expedite my star DL for the convenience of always being on me. Just found out new law taking effect just expanded my access to military installations, commissary, PX, and MWR but military installations only accept Star DL for ID. Granted, first visit to visitor center will use my passport and VA Service Disability card to establish eligibility and be given a special DoD card for future access and services, there is always the risk of a “secondary” surprise request in the future to prove I am the person on the DoD card...like State Parks do with their authorization card.

Nope and no plans on getting one anytime soon.  Flying is already miserable and difficult enough that I try to avoid it.  And now they want a million forms of identification for a drivers license that I've had for a couple decades.  Entire thing is freaking stupid.

• Awesome 1

56 minutes ago, Indy said:

And now they want a million forms of identification for a drivers license that I've had for a couple decades.  Entire thing is freaking stupid.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating, and that is that a passport and proof-of-address should be the ONLY documents needed for an updated Real ID DL.  It makes no sense for ANY other documentation to be needed, and realistically, the address info is relatively superfluous (but clearly a state requirement tacked on).

It's VERY stupid to require anything beyond the passport, and folks with current passports shouldn't have to go through the same hoops as the folks without one.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I've said it before, but it bears repeating, and that is that a passport and proof-of-address should be the ONLY documents needed for an updated Real ID DL.  It makes no sense for ANY other documentation to be needed, and realistically, the address info is relatively superfluous (but clearly a state requirement tacked on).

It's VERY stupid to require anything beyond the passport, and folks with current passports shouldn't have to go through the same hoops as the folks without one.

Yeah, but drivers license is one of the things used to get a passport and a passport can be used for identification for a Real ID.  That is part of what makes this entire process stupid, to make things easier you need one to get the other, but they can use each other.  What?

Just now, Indy said:

Yeah, but drivers license is one of the things used to get a passport and a passport can be used for identification for a Real ID.  That is part of what makes this entire process stupid, to make things easier you need one to get the other, but they can use each other.  What?

It's just dopey. But one thing is for sure and that is that a passport is the ULTIMATE identification for us normal Americanos.  It's our top ID, and as such, should be "it" with no other dopey wasting of time gathering additional info.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's just dopey. But one thing is for sure and that is that a passport is the ULTIMATE identification for us normal Americanos.  It's our top ID, and as such, should be "it" with no other dopey wasting of time gathering additional info.

Some people (in fact, many people) don't have driver's license and don't drive at all. (well, they shouldn't be).  I'm one of them...for a long time.  And several other family members.  In Toronto, up to 30% of people don't drive /wouldn't have a driver's license. And I'm not talking about children.  So the passport becomes the ultimate real ID. There's a more rigorous process to apply for a Canadian passport. After one gets passport, when it expires, the renewal application process is less onerous.