Beans...

petitepedal

Whenever I cook a pork roast, ham, or other brazed meats in the oven, I save the juices in the freezer, then use the stock to make a big pot of pinto beans. If I have a ham bone, I'll throw that in too along with onions, chilies, spices and whatever I have laying around. I cook in big batches, then portion it out and freeze it so we can spread the consumption out over time. When you're dealing with beans, you don't want to over do it, especially when it's too cold to open all of the windows...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I hope to add more to my diet..canned or dried

..what is your suggestion?

One of my quick & easy soups is: chicken stock, a can of stewed tomato, can of: white beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans some cut up carrot, celery & onion & sometimes cut up Italian sausage, sometimes not.  I also dump some garlic powder & Italian seasoning in it.

I basically put it all in a pot and cook until veggies are soft.  Dinner in less than an hour.

Another bean dish I like is navy beans, kale & sausage. Basically the three ingredients in a pot with chicken stock & garlic.  I make it really thick like a stew.  I do use dried navy beans for this as they don’t turn mushy but canned will work fine. 

• Heart 1