Chain tool

Square Wheels

Question

6 answers to this question

You should get both the smallest usable chain tool you can find to take on rides with you, so that when the powertap hits '11' and you break your chain, you can fix things on the spot.  You should also get a monster one for home that is a joy to use.  I think I have a Pedro's one that I like a lot, and used when I built my bikes back in the day.

• Heart 1

OK, so I'm going to give changing a chain a try. Of course I'll test this out on my wife's bike first.

We both have Shimano drivetrains, hers = 105, mine = Ultegra.

What chain tool do I need? I was looking at the Park Tool CT3.2.

3396779104b26cc02d52ed48f9bbe67245406483

That'll work fine. Don't get one of the tiny ones designed to go in you seat pack(they suck to use).
  • Heart 2

That'll work fine. Don't get one of the tiny ones designed to go in you seat pack(they suck to use).

They suck to use until you have to use one.  When you have to use it, it will still suck, but it will suck with a smile on your face when you can ride home instead of walking.  I don't carry one anymore, though, but I probably would if I was still mountain biking lots.

That one will work well. I also carry small chain tool on the bike as part of a multi-tool.

For Shimano chains you need a special pin every time you 'break' and reassemble the chain. If you get a SRAM, Wipperman, or KMC chain, you don't as they come with a link that can be removed with just your hands (but a link tool helps a lot especially with KMC missing links). You can buy such a link and put it on a Shimano chain.