I’d like bird photos, please.

MoseySusan

The goldfinches hadn’t been to my feeder for a couple of weeks. I thought maybe the seed was old, so I was going to bring it back to the store. But today the flock showed up again. I wish I could afford the iPhone 11 with the telephoto lens so I could take better bird photos. I watch the feeders with a pair of Nikon field binoculars and get great views.

• Heart 3

Here are my most recent bird pictures - I apologize that they are cropped from highly-zoomed smartphone pics and not very high-def.

Here are Canada Geese in December: they think Maryland is warm enough for the winter and stay here before flying back to the NE shore of Hudson Bay. Most other colorful birds are smart enough to fly south for the winter. If they ate fish from the never-frozen Chesapeake Bay, I'd understand why they're here, but they eat, "leaves, flowers, stems, roots, seeds and berries." They gather in the 100's in the park where I usually walk Jake and sometimes darken the sky when they pass over about 20 feet overhead:

20191206_124728_crop_clar_sat_900p.jpg.d9c02cd3ca9b15f8edd98099359e396b.jpg

Things were more interesting May, when this pair of Northern Mockingbirds - the 2nd one is the little dark speck on the right of the left or 1st pic - dived at and chased a very much larger crow away - they probably had a nest in the trees to the left of the picture. The mockingbird in the right or 2nd pic chased the crow for at least 1/4 mile in the air:

804762198_06.Mockingbird2(themalemaybe)streaksin.JPG.f953ecafb82c6b4b38df0785ecbb65a1.JPG  780685293_19.CrowtakesflightwithBlueJay1inhotpursuit.JPG.ba2bf2553fb43a6b2bcccf91544ea460.JPG

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That oughta make roadsue quite happy!

Definitely. 
While driving to work today, I saw a flock of blackbirds flying back and forth, shape shifting and casting varied reflections of light. I could watch that for hours. 

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/2/2020 at 12:23 PM, roadsue said:

The goldfinches hadn’t been to my feeder for a couple of weeks. I thought maybe the seed was old, so I was going to bring it back to the store. But today the flock showed up again. I wish I could afford the iPhone 11 with the telephoto lens so I could take better bird photos. I watch the feeders with a pair of Nikon field binoculars and get great views.

FB082641-5628-4DA4-8C53-BEBC279C7B81.thumb.png.e4fb4abab814fc30fb392b7fd41eb560.pngI haven’t taken the time to go out and try to get some good photos or even try to figure out the three cameras on my new iPhone that my wife bought me for V-day. I snapped this photo this morning through a dirty window as I was giving my wife a bath.

• Heart 4

10 hours ago, groupw said:

I thought I heard a Robin last weekend. I’m pretty sure I saw my first one of the season today, but I couldn’t be sure in the glare. By the time I could circle round, I spooked him and he flew away. 

We have crabapple trees, so robins are pretty common.