RE tell us about the time you lived in Washington state

Dottleshead

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

Oh?  Maybe I need to go out to Washington D.C. so I can re-pick up cycling again.

Burke-Gilman?

Yep.  Was often a nice weekend ride.  From Kirkland, I'd ride up to the Burke-Gilman, and head west.  Matthews Beach, UW campus, Gasworks Park, and eventually would turn-around at Chittenden locks where I would have a lunch/snack break.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  Was often a nice weekend ride.  From Kirkland, I'd ride up to the Burke-Gilman, and head west.  Matthews Beach, UW campus, Gasworks Park, and eventually would turn-around at Chittenden locks where I would have a lunch/snack break.

That stretch essentially is what go me into long distance riding.  I have ridden it from Golden Gardens to Redmond several times. Albeit heavily trafficked, it's still worth it.  I got the point I was riding from downtown into Woodinville every other night.

• Awesome 1

Just now, Dottie said:

So tell us what you liked?  Didn't like?

Are we still on this????

Seattle was very well positioned with relation to the water, mountains, Canada, beaches, and wooded hiking.  It was great for weekend day trips when my wife (GF at the time) would come visit.  It was also post-Nirvana/Pearl Jam but pre-MEGA-Amazon, so Seattle was bustling, but not yet over-revved.

I was not a big coffee drinker, yet, though, so I missed out on that.  We did have our office in Kirkland right next to the Marina Park (briefly of Tom Green fame), and had a great Greek and a nice burrito restaurants across the street, so it was a good place to work.  Lunch time walks could be along the lake or wandering in the neighborhoods, or just hanging by the boat ramp. 

I didn't mind the rain too much, but it did seem perpetually wet, but the winter was at least mild, so that was a fair trad-off.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Are we still on this????

Seattle was very well positioned with relation to the water, mountains, Canada, beaches, and wooded hiking.  It was great for weekend day trips when my wife (GF at the time) would come visit.  It was also post-Nirvana/Pearl Jam but pre-MEGA-Amazon, so Seattle was bustling, but not yet over-revved.

I was not a big coffee drinker, yet, though, so I missed out on that.  We did have our office in Kirkland right next to the Marina Park (briefly of Tom Green fame), and had a great Greek and a nice burrito restaurants across the street, so it was a good place to work.  Lunch time walks could be along the lake or wandering in the neighborhoods, or just hanging by the boat ramp. 

I didn't mind the rain too much, but it did seem perpetually wet, but the winter was at least mild, so that was a fair trad-off.

And you never mentioned the Seattle Sonics, huh?

23 minutes ago, Dottie said:

No.  Underneath all that doltiness is a smart man.  Nobody cares about the Sonics.  We just don't like David Stern. 

OK, one of the last 3 statements was a lie.

My boss had season tickets to all the assorted Seattle pro teams.  He'd give you tickets if you asked.  Baseball was usually the only one I asked about - lots of games so you didn't feel like you were muscling in on a football game.

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My boss had season tickets to all the assorted Seattle pro teams.  He'd give you tickets if you asked.  Baseball was usually the only one I asked about - lots of games so you didn't feel like you were muscling in on a football game.

Over the years I became less interested in basketball but grew up loving the Sonics. The NBA doesn't play any serious defense anymore -- and the ticket prices can jam it. I find most professional sports to be that way now.  Basically, it's all diluted so fan bases can see  more scoring -- even if it is with the dive bar chick at 3 a.m.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, Dottie said:

Discusss.

We were in Seattle for 1.5 days almost a wk. ago. Went to a baroque music concert,  before that Tilalook restaurant near Space Needle, Nice place with good vibe.   then REI where I bought a cycling jacket, Elliot Bay Bks. where I got a book, had a coffee at some bakery called Parisienne (?) and for supper, Rhein Haus. Dearie was curious how they would treat German food.  Amtrak train returning back to Vancouver was over 4 hrs. delayed because the broken compressor for train from Portland to SEattle, had to be replaced. (People on train couldn't use washrooms for 5 hrs.).  We got home to sleep at 4:00 am. :blink:

• Heart 1

I have never lived there but was a visitor there a lot when I audited branch offices for Navy Federal. First trip there, we flew into SeaTac, rented a car and headed north to the downtown ferry over to Bremerton. Merging into I-5 N, I checked the side mirror for traffic and exclaimed, “whoa”. My coworker asked, “what”?. I replied “check your mirror”. She repeated, “whoa” and turned around to get a better view. Mt. Ranier was right there the whole time and we never saw it until then. 

• Heart 1