2020 riding plans

Parsnip Totin Jack

Anyone making plans for big rides or tours in 2020?

I’m riding the BikeMS Chesapeake Challenge with Mike again. June 13th in Easton MD. 
Jamey wants me to ride the GAP/C&O Canal trail with him in May. He wants to cover the 330 miles in four days. It’s doable, but we won’t see much.

• Haha 1

Just now, Old#7 said:

Jamey wants me to ride the GAP/C&O Canal trail with him in May. He wants to cover the 330 miles in four days. It’s doable, but we won’t see much.

No....you wont see much. I would do that ride again but would want to see more so I would take longer than we did on the Great Adventure. 

• Awesome 2

13 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I’m riding the BikeMS Chesapeake Challenge with Mike again. June 13th in Easton MD. 

I am always in the "planning" stages - more likely the "considering" portion of the planning stage - and never into the actual committing and scheduling stage :( 

I want to do something bigger and longer this year, but am having a bitch of a time deciding.  I had thought I might try a Dolomites or Pyrenees trip, but it just becomes a bit of torture because I am aiming for lots of riding, but my wife is not into that the same way. And I suck at travel planning (she excels), but I can't lay it in her lap to sort out what I want.

Anyway, we opted for a traditional Spanish vacation in April, but that still leaves me without my cycling trip.  Times a-ticking so I need to get my ass in gear. I was talking to my cycling friend on our New Years Day ride about this one, but it is a HUGE commitment to train up appropriately.  Seems awesome, but again, lots of needed saddle time to get in proper shape to enjoy it.  I may also suggest sorting out a US Colorado/Utah/western states ride instead.  We'll see.

The Gap ride is still on my wife and my list of rides we can both do together.  That may still be in the cards.

• Heart 1

One ride that Wo46 and I were talking about doing again is what we call ferry to ferry ride. 

We bike to Milwaukee, take the car ferry to Michigan, ride north to the other car ferry ride home. 

• Heart 1

I already registered for the Redlands Strada Rossa in March, I plan to ride the Big Bear MTB Fondo again in Sept and maybe the Belgian Wafer Ride in May but it’s kinda expensive.  I need to decide soon tho as it will sell out.  I’m thinking of doing the Barn Burner (Leadville Qualifier) in Sept and maybe another dirt related fondo for either gravel or MTB.  

I mainly just want to ride my cross & MTB more and on mixed terrain.  I have goal to give my Bianchi a complete rest in 2020.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

want to do something bigger and longer this year, but am having a bitch of a time deciding.  I had thought I might try a Dolomites or Pyrenees trip, but it just becomes a bit of torture because I am aiming for lots of riding, but my wife is not into that the same way. And I suck at travel planning (she excels), but I can't lay it in her lap to sort out what I want.

I had more vacation time from work than my wife did. When possible we always vacationed together. My extra weeks were always on my bike adventures. 

My wife’s work advanced her vacation time faster than mine did and she caught up. I tried to hide my disappointment that my bike adventures were done. She started blowing off work for various reasons using up comp time and next thing you know I had a week of time off that she didn’t have left so I still managed to get a week long adventure each year. I think that was intentional but we never talked about it.

1 hour ago, Old#7 said:

If pressed for time doing the trail fast is ok, it gives you a feeling of accomplishment. Now that I’m retired I don’t have to get it done fast. When we were planing Petites big adventure I told her I didn’t care how many days it took. We decided on eight days, it was nice. When I did it the first time I only had six days to do it and people told me the average was eight days. I was worried that I wouldn’t get it done and run out of time. I did 93 miles the first day and then looked at a map and realized I got this. I slowed down the rest of the trip and finished in five days.

• Heart 3

We are planning to do the Mt. Washington century ride again this year. @Square Wheels suggested it last year and it was a great ride. We may go to the Lac St. John area of Quebec and do some riding there too. We have a backpacking trip planned for Gris Mornes NF planned for August. 

• Heart 3

My riding in 2019 ended in July because of the shoulder.  I still haven’t gotten back in the bike.  I have the bike tour with my dog still planned for this summer, but the route may change a little.

But this year, I hope to do more hiking and biking.  I’ve set my sights on thru hiking the Appalachian Trail in the spring/summer of 2021, so I need to get my body ready.  Mrs Z and I have mapped out the plan. And I’ve discussed the extended leave of absence with my boss.

But until then, I hope to get some miles in. We started the New Year off with a hike on New Year’s Day and I’m looking at getting out this weekend.

I’m creating a blog site to record my preparation as the time approaches and the journey itself.  If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know when I launch it.

Peace

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

15 minutes ago, Zealot said:

My riding in 2019 ended in July because of the shoulder.  I still haven’t gotten back in the bike.  I have the bike tour with my dog still planned for this summer, but the route may change a little.

But this year, I hope to do more hiking and biking.  I’ve set my sights on thru hiking the Appalachian Trail in the spring/summer of 2021, so I need to get my body ready.  Mrs Z and I have mapped out the plan. And I’ve discussed the extended leave of absence with my boss.

But until then, I hope to get some miles in. We started the New Year off with a hike on New Year’s Day and I’m looking at getting out this weekend.

I’m creating a blog site to record my preparation as the time approaches and the journey itself.  If anyone is interested, I’ll let you know when I launch it.

Peace

It sounds like fun. I’m not planning anything this year.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

I want to ride and run more. No big rides, but more regular on the local riding.

There is paved forest road that climbs about 1000' in five miles, ten miles if you start at the highway, but only the second half climbs. I ride it at least once a year, want to ride it more often, and I'd like to run up the five that climb.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm just hoping to get in 2-3 days/week for an hour or so each time beginning in March or April.

On Dec. 26th or 27th I lugged a 100 lb metal lathe around cramped quarters and final to a hand truck, my car, then to my BIL's house.  My legs hurt when I moved until Jan 2nd.  I definitely need to do so hill work on the bike and some workouts on a leg machine and maybe more swimming instead of just walking Jake.

15 hours ago, Zealot said:

Peace

I’d like to read your blog.

• Heart 1

more hills on the bike for this year. 1 day a week I think. No set mileage goals. Ride....Lots

I was pissed yesterday. It was relatively nice (50's) & dry. I'm in Portland and all my bike gear is in Bend. I think I'm just going to throw my gear bag in the car just in case a nice day breaks out. For now it's snowshoe time! Mountain is getting some snow this weekend. First significant snow since Thanksgiving I think

• Awesome 1

19 hours ago, Further said:

I want to ride and run more. No big rides, but more regular on the local riding.

There is paved forest road that climbs about 1000' in five miles, ten miles if you start at the highway, but only the second half climbs. I ride it at least once a year, want to ride it more often, and I'd like to run up the five that climb.

Similar for me. I just want to get back to a wider exploring of the next few counties like I used to do. 

10 hours ago, Airehead said:

I want to ride local outside on a real bike. 

Time for a ride around the lake again? If we can find FSOG.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

I want to ride at least 5 of the rides in the California Triple Crown series again this year, and hopefully 6.  3 will probably be Spring Solvang, Hemet, and the Grand Tour.  Bass Lake in the fall.  not sure about the 5th.

Shouldn't a Triple Crown involve three rides???

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, smudge said:

Shouldn't a Triple Crown involve three rides???

The name of the organization is the California Triple Crown.  Here is the description

Winners in the prestigious California Triple Crown are the elite Long Distance Bicyclists in California since they have completed at least three Double Centuries in one calendar year. This site was created by Chuck Bramwell, the Executive Director of the California Triple Crown, to provide you with the latest information on these challenging events!! From the Ocean, to the Mountains, to the Deserts, the California Triple Crown rides provide a lot of awesome cycling adventures, challenges, beautiful scenery, great memories, and fun for each of us!!

They also have a Gold award if you ride 5 CTC events and volunteer at one. There is an  award for riding 25 doubles (well, you get to order a jersey).  You are inducted into the CTC Hall of Fame for riding 50 doubles, and again if you ride 100. 

To order the CTC jersey you must ride at least 3 doubles in a calendar year.