Just planned our European Vacation!

jsharr

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...in Texas, 13 hours goes by like a New York second.

I just thought of all the vaccinations he is going to need.  He's gonna be achy for a while.  And does he bring his own bottled water or stick to tequila to be on the safe side?

• Haha 1
  • Envious 1

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Have you planned your route yet?  The rain in Maine falls mainly on the Spain.

The rain in Maine falls mainly on the plain..

There is a really cool place near Sebago lake. You have to do this steep climb into the remant of a volcano that still has a bowl. But it's small, so if you sing really loud, you can accompany yourself.

I suggest who let the dogs out :nyanya:

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

We are not visiting Syphilis, but I sure like Greek food.

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

I thought they were the same?

...Syphilis is that guy in the Greek myth who keeps rolling the rock up the hill, only to have it fall back down.

sisyphus-gif.gif...they should build a monument to that guy.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...Syphilis is that guy in the Greek myth who keeps rolling the rock up the hill, only to have it fall back down.

sisyphus-gif.gif...they should build a monument to that guy.

I thought Syphilis was that dude that flew to close to the sun.

2 hours ago, late said:

China_Sign.jpg

which state is this sign located?

In southern Ontario a lot of the towns are named after places in the U.K.....reflection of Anglo settlers. However, Kitchener was previously Berlin until WW II when it got changed.  Toronto is a derviation of Taronto which is Mohawk Indian.  Can't remember the First Nation's group for Mississauga, a suburban city of Toronto area.

Calgary is based on a place in Scotland.  In fact, if you walk into the main municipal bldg. there is a wall mural that gives that explanation.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

which state is this sign located?

In southern Ontario a lot of the towns are named after places in the U.K.....reflection of Anglo settlers. However, Kitchener was previously Berlin until WW II when it got changed.  Toronto is a derviation of Taronto which is Mohawk Indian.  Can't remember the First Nation's group for Mississauga, a suburban city of Toronto area.

Calgary is based on a place in Scotland.  In fact, if you walk into the main municipal bldg. there is a wall mural that gives that explanation.

Maine.  

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Maine.  

I guess I've never understood for some names why on earth a totally different place in another country was used in North America.  No originality or not at all inspired by local geography, flora or fauna at least. I get the homesickness thing, for the lst wave of immigrants/discovers...but so what.  There have been millions of people who were homesick and didn't latch onto a Old World/home country association for naming places. Except I guess....restaurants if they set up a business.

But then we have the photos, the Internet and Skype to look back at former country.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I guess I've never understood for some names why on earth a totally different place in another country was used in North America.  No originality or not at all inspired by local geography, flora or fauna at least. I get the homesickness thing, for the lst wave of immigrants/discovers...but so what.  There have been millions of people who were homesick and didn't latch onto a Old World/home country association for naming places. Except I guess....restaurants if they set up a business.

But then we have the photos, the Internet and Skype to look back at former country.

https://www.mainepublic.org/post/why-are-so-many-maine-towns-named-after-foreign-countries-and-cities

Do not think it is homesickness.  I think it is more an honorific title in many cases.

I know the person whose paid job is to stick-handle proposals for new names or renaming of new or existing streets, roads, parks and public buildings.  Rather interesting with the details of our policy and requirements.  Most big cities in North America would have such a staff member since it may occasionally get into proposals for corporate sponsorships.

There's nothing wrong to give simple/unique names ie.  Rainy River (in Ontario) or Swift Current (which is in Saskatchewan) or even better,  Moosonee (Ontario) or Medicine Hat (Alberta). Of course, who knows why a place is named Marathon in Ontario. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/publications/official-road-map/

For name origins of our provinces and territories:  https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-sciences/geography/origins-canadas-geographical-names/origin-names-canada-and-its-provinces-and-territories/9224  Some of the names have First Nations (native Indian) origins...which allows the area to own that name completely unique in the world (or closest to local origin meaning and relationship to the area).

Funny you mentioned Berlin - yesterday my brother-in-law and I were talking about taking his son and my other nephew to a place near Berlin next summer - Berlin, Maryland, south of Ocean City, Maryland. It's called Shad Landing State Park and it's fun to rent canoes and explore the cypress swamp there.  You can rent a campsite cheap: they radiate out from large, circular roads, in the middle of which is a bathhouse, divided for each sex, with showers, sinks, and toilets.  The campsites have built-in grills so you can just bring charcoal and starter if you don't bring your own grill.  It's also close to Assateague and Chincoteague Islands where you can see wild ponies, etc.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I know the person whose paid job is to stick-handle proposals for new names or renaming of new or existing streets, roads, parks and public buildings.  Rather interesting with the details of our policy and requirements.  Most big cities in North America would have such a staff member since it may occasionally get into proposals for corporate sponsorships.

There's nothing wrong to give simple/unique names ie.  Rainy River (in Ontario) or Swift Current (which is in Saskatchewan) or even better,  Moosonee (Ontario) or Medicine Hat (Alberta). Of course, who knows why a place is named Marathon in Ontario. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/publications/official-road-map/

For name origins of our provinces and territories:  https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/earth-sciences/geography/origins-canadas-geographical-names/origin-names-canada-and-its-provinces-and-territories/9224  Some of the names have First Nations (native Indian) origins...which allows the area to own that name completely unique in the world (or closest to local origin meaning and relationship to the area).

Some names would never fly today. The town of Swastika Ontario was named long before the association with nazi Germany. The Swastika was originally a symbol of good luck.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

True Fact. We won (paid) at an auction naming rights for a street in a new development. We got a Lindy Lane. Plus a street with our last name. We could not get a street with our boys name as there was one already & there could not be doubles even in different cities. When Lindy was in the hospital the nurse says...Your name is Lindy? I live on Lindy Lane! That was pretty awesome

The houses there were pretty small though. We should have put a codicil that the houses had to be xx thousand SF