Jeez look at all the red.

donkpow

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It is good to be in REIT's and gold.  

I don't like Gold for the long run unless you are so wealthy you want to guarantee your wealth against and incredible catastrophe. If you bought an ounce of gold for $813 in 1981, it would be worth $1500+ right now.  If you had put that $813 in an S&P 500 Index fund, it would be worth over $30,000 right now.

I like the big healthcare REIT's like Welltower and HCP.  If you look at their records, going back to the '70's, they've done consistently well, maintained good dividends, and they didn't crash in 1987, 2000-1, and 2008-9 - or recovered quickly.  But many REIT's still haven't recovered from the 2008-9 crash - which actually began in 2006 for REITs.

I owned a REIT, Duke Realty (DRE) into the 2000's.  When I retired in 2006 but needed money to span the 6 years to 2012, when all my retirement vehicles would kick in and supply more income than I needed, I sold DRE and most of my stocks to guarantee a financially secure transition.  Lucky, lucky, me! I sold it at about 90% of its max. in 2006. It crashed tremendously in 2008 and it STILL hasn't recovered the stock price it had then.

So my advice on REIT's is to look at how they've done during serious downturns, how they'll grown overall, and what kind of properties they hold.  Welltower and HCP, in addition to owning medical office buildings, etc. have deals with nursing home chains that find it more efficient to lease the nursing homes and let the REIT that owns them do the maintenance.  So, even if the nursing home companies are finally limited from gouging Americans of too much money, the big healthcare REIT's are semi-imsulated from that because they just collect the rent for an industry that will keep expanding.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't like Gold for the long run unless you are so wealthy you want to guarantee your wealth against and incredible catastrophe. If you bought an ounce of gold for $813 in 1981, it would be worth $1500+ right now.  If you had put that $813 in an S&P 500 Index fund, it would be worth over $30,000 right now.

I like the big healthcare REIT's like Welltower and HCP.  If you look at their records, going back to the '70's, they've done consistently well, maintained good dividends, and they didn't crash in 1987, 2000-1, and 2008-9 - or recovered quickly.  But many REIT's still haven't recovered from the 2008-9 crash - which actually began in 2006 for REITs.

I owned a REIT, Duke Realty (DRE) into the 2000's.  When I retired in 2006 but needed money to span the 6 years to 2012, when all my retirement vehicles would kick in and supply more income than I needed, I sold DRE and most of my stocks to guarantee a financially secure transition.  Lucky, lucky, me! I sold it at about 90% of its max. in 2006. It crashed tremendously in 2008 and it STILL hasn't recovered the stock price it had then.

So my advice on REIT's is to look at how they've done during serious downturns, how they'll grown overall, and what kind of properties they hold.  Welltower and HCP, in addition to owning medical office buildings, etc. have deals with nursing home chains that find it more efficient to lease the nursing homes and let the REIT that owns them do the maintenance.  So, even if the nursing home companies are finally limited from gouging Americans of too much money, the big healthcare REIT's are semi-imsulated from that because they just collect the rent for an industry that will keep expanding.

I like gold as a hedge.  It rarely provides large returns but $!300 dollar gold a year ago is almost certain to be near $1900 within 12 months.  Still not a bad return while hedging against a market that may collapse in the biggest of ways.  Depends who you listen to.  There are a lot of nations stocking up on gold reserves at the moment and China keeps threatening a gold backed crypto.  I wouldn't want to be holding USD if that happens. 

I am in 3 REIT's.  The bulk of my assets are REIT's.  One, I am a founding partner and two others as an investor.  Mine all weathered the 2008 collapse very well but mine are in Canada.  That doesn't guarantee anything but it does show well historically. 

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Zero-sum game....... pfffft

Within the current situation, that would be true with a balanced and static portfolio. Money moves in the market. If you don't maintain the ability to move money, you probably won't achieve maximum rewards. I was caught out of balance last year. I play with a lot of risk and did not have any idea there would be those global political forces injected into the mix. While I have recovered and profited in the aftermath, I have moved a portion of my assets into more stable 'plays' (BlackRock products). I took some profits out of the move by others to more popular funds in the later part of the year.

Personally, I think the market is blind half the time. I've got a manufacturing concern that I have high hopes for. US based with international involvement. It was originally an automotive industry stock. They have expanded into other markets with their operations, serving other sectors. Apparently, I'm the only person aware of the situation because you can see them move in lockstep with the automotive sector.