Seems like my fridge is running a lot

petitepedal

43 minutes ago, donkpow said:

If the coils inside the freezer part get encased in ice, for one of several reasons, the machine will run incessantly. You may not see the ice since the coils are behind the plastic walls of the freezer.

Wer had that a few years ago, it was inside the bottom of the freezer.  The guy was honest, said it wasn't likely a part, just a fluke, but he could replace a part that could have caused it.  Either way we owed him the trip out, I had home replace the part for a few dollars more.

The fridge is 12 years old, he said we should still get 20 out of it.  It's a Kenmore Elite, won't be able to buy one of those again.

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

It's a Kenmore Elite, won't be able to buy one of those again.

All Kenmores are re-branding. Back then I think it was Whirlpool. More recently, I think, while different models vary, tend to be LG. Most use the same parts as their parent however my Kenmore vacuum cleaner utilized a Kenmore specific bag sold only at Sears, however did just see them, paper only, stocked at WalMart.

3 hours ago, Tizeye said:

All Kenmores are re-branding. Back then I think it was Whirlpool. More recently, I think, while different models vary, tend to be LG. Most use the same parts as their parent however my Kenmore vacuum cleaner utilized a Kenmore specific bag sold only at Sears, however did just see them, paper only, stocked at WalMart.

This is true, but I got a top of the line fridge for a lot less than the name brand would have cost.  I miss Sears.

So..it seemed okay yesterday..but this morning it seemed to be running hard again..it makes a different sound when it has been running a long time..turned the control to warmer so it shut down..then back to normal 15 minutes later. YouTubed it..gonna try using a brush on the coils...if that doesnt work it will be the fridge repair dude

On 1/4/2020 at 8:27 PM, petitepedal said:

The back is fully covered..

What does that mean? The outside back of the refrigerator is covered by a regular piece of the refrigerator?  Or covered in some other way?

Generally, for a refrigerator to properly function you need relatively unrestricted airflow around it - usually focused on a clean underneath and a few inch gap in the back (not tight against the wall) and a few inch gap on the top (not tight against a set of upper cabinets).  That lets the air in your house help with the heat exchange that operates the whole cycle of compressing & cooling.  Over time, dust will build up and that's when you clean with a vacuum and/or brushes to return some level of efficiency to the process. I doubt you moved your fridge, so the existing wall & ceiling gaps are likely fine, but as fridges age, they have a bit less tolerance for their position, so what wasn't an issue with a newer fridge might become one with an older one. 

One easy recommendation is a thermometer to check the fridge and freezer temps. A cheap one has a "green" and "red" zone on the thermometer for both, and you just chuck it in there and check it the next day to see if you are in the green or red. Then move it to the freezer and check that the next day.  Then move it back to the refrigerator and leave it there so you can always see what the temp is.

Ok..used the brush in front..then I pulled the sucker out took part of the back off and sucked it out the best I could using the brush and vac...turned it down for a bit..then turned it on again..it doesnt seem to be running as loud as it did the other day in continuous run mode...but waiting for it to shut off...it isn't making the usual gurgling and snapping sounds it usually makes..just a steady run :(. Got it November of 2012.

On 1/4/2020 at 8:30 PM, JerrySTL said:

Have you cleaned the coils either underneath or in the back? Also make sure that the doors are closing completely and the seals are clean. One other weird thing would be if the lights were staying on when the doors were closed. 

In that last case she could replace the Edison bub with an LED. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1