Is this weird?

Dirtyhip

Found out my pal is very ill.  Too many years get away from us so quickly.  I am going to start sending her a monthly letter.  Just a catch up note or a card, and place cute funny things inside the envelope.  

Will this seem strange, since I am not really someone that pen pals much. This way she gets 12 reminders to smile.  I found these little chocolates.  They packaging on the chocolate bar is so aesthetically pleasing, you won't want the eat the chocolate.  It's a small piece of chocolate, so I am not really thwarting her efforts on health.  

Would someone sending this to you make you feel weird?  Or would you enjoy the lift ups?  Would the lift up be reminders that life is shortening?

• Heart 2

First, Who?

Second, would depend on the person (not sure who you are talking about) and the connection I have/had with them.  Someone close with good memories, would make me feel good.  Someone who was a friend at one point, but drifted away from and I had moved on, would just make me wonder why they are bothering now.

They came to our wedding, we were in theirs.  We see have known them decades. It's a gal I know, who is married to a man that went to grade school with my husband.  They have been together since before our wedding.  They were married briefly afterward.  I wouldn't say we have drifted.  Life has happened on both sides.  They have kids and go all over shuttling them. Races, meets, horse gymnastics? They are good friends.

One of their kids is an excellent momo rider.  

I would do it.  She needs encouragement and support right now.   

A good friend of mine recently found out one of his core friends from high school was in stage V liver failure and had a good chance of dying before a liver was found.

He has been visiting him as often as he can and arranging for other old friends to come see him as well.  It looked very bad but on Saturday they found a liver donor and yesterday he was in surgery for 9 hours getting the transplant.

I am sure and he and my friend will stay in touch after this as my friend is a recovering alcohol with years and years of sobriety under his belt and this guy will need a mentor as it sounds like he was an alcoholic prior to this.

• Heart 1

I'd do it.  Sending something by mail isn't very intrusive.  They don't have to respond like with a phone call.  But it's a tangible reminder that someone is thinking of you and cares.  I can't imagine that's a bad thing.  Sure she'll know you're likely doing it because she's sick, but sometimes it takes something out of the ordinary to remind us to reach out to people.  If I were very sick, I'd like to know that I'd had an impact on people I met during my life and that they cared about me.

• Heart 1

Of course you do it. Never pass on an opportunity to be nice. It's a good chance to restart the closeness you had. If possible offer some day to day help. A meal, haul the kids around, sit with her during treatment. It meant the world to WoScrapr

I cannot tell you what it means to me the support after WoScrapr passed.  Her/our friends have really put their arms around me. It would have been immeasurably harder without their support

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

They came to our wedding, we were in theirs.  We see have known them decades. It's a gal I know, who is married to a man that went to grade school with my husband.  They have been together since before our wedding.  They were married briefly afterward.  I wouldn't say we have drifted.  Life has happened on both sides.  They have kids and go all over shuttling them. Races, meets, horse gymnastics? They are good friends.

One of their kids is an excellent momo rider.  

If you keep it simple, she will most likely appreciate it.  Can you see her/ skype her occasionally on her terms?  She may want to see you to thank you at some point.  Maybe earlier than much later.

It does depend on the person and one's relationship with  them.

I have a friend right now, who most likely has lung cancer which will be confirmed (or not) next wk.  It is a surprise to her....