What is it with companies switching to initials for names?

Ralphie

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

First KFC, then PCH?  Don't they know that is Pacific Coast Highway?  Idiots!

It is a way to make your brand sound fresh and cool.  I first noticed it about 20 years ago when someone ordered an  MGD at the bar.  Years later ordering a PBR was the cool hipster thing to do.  Since all are needed are the initials to understand what is meant, it means you're cool, in the know and keeping up with the current trends.

• Heart 1

I blame Millenials and their short handing everything.  They treat everything like a text and can not be bothered to actually write out an entire word, even if it means removing just one single letter.  And heaven forbid we even attempt to discuss punctionion and their complete misuse of that.

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

I blame Millenials and their short handing everything.  They treat everything like a text and can not be bothered to actually write out an entire word, even if it means removing just one single letter.  And heaven forbid we even attempt to discuss punctionion and their complete misuse of that.

Not all Millenials are like that but it's the NEXT generation that might want this initial word thing.  

So teach your child the art of words.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Not all Millenials are like that but it's the NEXT generation that might want this initial word thing.  

So teach your child the art of words.

I also blame Boomers, they are getting old and their memory is getting bad, so they can't remember all the words in the name.  At least they can use punctuation marks though.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Indy said:

IKR

It seems to me that the non-initial name is better advertisement for the product: Kentucky Fried Chicken or Baltimore Gas & Electric instead of KFC or BGE. etc.  Catchy names like Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts are more attractive to me, even though I don't have a clue how either one stays in business with their humongous prices.

But I'm not an expert in marketing.  Maybe KFC sticks in the heads of today's short-term-thinking populace better than the 6-syllable whole name.

19 hours ago, Mr. Silly said:

It is a way to make your brand sound fresh and cool.

18 hours ago, Indy said:

I blame Millenials and their short handing everything.  They treat everything like a text and can not be bothered to actually write out an entire word, even if it means removing just one single letter.

These, and the bean counters wanting to save on printing ink so they can get a bonus for saving the company money.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:59 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Publishers Clearing House. 

Never in a Millions Years (NMYs) would I have gotten that. I haven’t heard about them since Ed McMann. 

I think if it comes about organically, it’s smart of a company to rebadge. People were calling it KFC for years before they did it officially. If it’s forced, no one will follow.