I hate my job

Airehead

I smacked right into that reality this morning.  I've been playing with the idea for about a year.  Feeling stressed, changing procedures, soldiering through. Today, I firmly realize that I cannot do this much longer.  That makes me sad.  Plus Einstein just lost his job in the closing of the engineering center.

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 11
  • Hugs 3

Was there less than two years ago.  Had to go on anxiety medication just to deal with it.  Luckily I got laid off and fell upward for a change and things are good at the moment.

A change of scenery (and daily BS) can do wonders.

• Heart 2

Sorry to hear this.  While there are parts of your job that must be very fulfilling, I can only imagine how stressful it is dealing with so many different stakeholders in every decision.  Plus your job actually impacts people's lives which makes it even more stressful.   I know there are times when I have to push through a bad period where things are getting to me, but at some point, the bad periods become the norm and you have to look at changing something.

• Heart 2

When I went into teaching, I loved it until ridiculous restrictions stemming from "No Child Left Behind" kicked-in where the classes had to be dumbed-down so everyone could pass and the gifted couldn't be challenged.  The curriculum reached the point where it was simplified so that barely qualified teachers could easily handle it.  Every time I walked into a teachers' lounge in our largest-in-the-state high school, you could almost cut the tension with a knife.

But, our pensions were backweighted (the final years count more than early ones) - since one of the numbers in the pension pay formula is the average of your last 3 years pay.  So even though many of us couldn't wait to leave teaching, that good pension that compensated for being underpaid gave us reason to carry on: starting garbage collectors in our and most American counties are higher paid than starting teachers, even though the teachers work 300 more hours per year.  So there's a very strong reason for staying in the job long enough to even things up and get a good pension.

Ten years after I retired in 2006, only 8 of the 140 teachers I had taught with were still at our high school.  Our replacements mostly did not have our advanced certifications and the school lost its magnet school status.  That's why most teachers called it "No Child Gets Ahead."

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Mine sure has its days....and I am beginning to long for retirement...:desk: Anyone know a man who would be willing to keep me in the manner I could become accustom to?  He doesn't have to live with me...just "Keep" me :D

:) :loveshower: My guy has been retired for...last 14 yrs.  And I'm still working.  He has a company pension.  I just found out a few wks. ago, my employer's bonus pension option, will be chopped off soon.  Oh well. I wouldn't have benefitted much anyway.

So far, I get along generally fine with my work group team members. Just have to stay neutral when steering through rumor/gossip/conspiracies. I sleep a lot better than I did 3 years ago.

It is all about the people...some days the people are great...some days...I wish I didn't work with people.

Right now we are getting ready for a 3 month project of replacing all appliances in each unit..and adding hood vent/microwave combos in ALL units..to date about 1/2 (or the people before them PAID for the new smaller cabinet and the microwave..the other 100 will just get it as part of the upgrade. Lots of action in my office as far as answering questions and notifying folks..

Big project #2 is an upgrade to our phone system...so it will be all new AGAIN,,just got this one about 3.5 years ago :blink: And again...it is in my lap....I have a phone meeting tomorrow to hear more (oh yay)

And..got a resident who cut off his kids when his wife died a few years ago...now he is dying (on hospice and he looks rough) Well...finally okay with a daughter coming to visit...Hope he lives long enough for her to get to town from Colorado..........

Yup some days retirement looks good

22 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

It is all about the people...some days the people are great...some days...I wish I didn't work with people.

Right now we are getting ready for a 3 month project of replacing all appliances in each unit..and adding hood vent/microwave combos in ALL units..to date about 1/2 (or the people before them PAID for the new smaller cabinet and the microwave..the other 100 will just get it as part of the upgrade. Lots of action in my office as far as answering questions and notifying folks..

Big project #2 is an upgrade to our phone system...so it will be all new AGAIN,,just got this one about 3.5 years ago :blink: And again...it is in my lap....I have a phone meeting tomorrow to hear more (oh yay)

And..got a resident who cut off his kids when his wife died a few years ago...now he is dying (on hospice and he looks rough) Well...finally okay with a daughter coming to visit...Hope he lives long enough for her to get to town from Colorado..........

Yup some days retirement looks good

You know, petite I'm certain with you're skill set, it might be highly valued by one of the public sector organizations.  I really mean this....a job involving coordination, people from different walks of life, etc.  Someone like you would be highly valued in front line services/at major public events and stakeholders, gathering feedback, etc.

Some of the coordination jobs in govn't require heavy exposure to a broad range of people and those jobs can be good,  if the person enjoys /has patience with all kinds of people, occasional craziness, etc.  

The highlight of all my jobs....are the clients.  Even if a person asks me the same type/similar question, that's ok. My job is to help them, make it easier.  (This includes research for them.) I've learned a lot from an incredibly broad, diverse range of client groups.  I was surprised to know of some folks in similar role as I, had little patience/abit condescending.  Oh well. They're missing out on learning opportunities from clients.

Airhead has an especially tough job..anything involving children and expectations of others/them, can be challenging.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

You know, petite I'm certain with you're skill set, it might be highly valued by one of the public sector organizations.  I really mean this....a job involving coordination, people from different walks of life, etc.  Someone like you would be highly valued in front line services/at major public events and stakeholders, gathering feedback, etc.

Way back when when I was in years of un employment or under employment, I met a guy at a job support group...a former six figure company guy who said he wished he was working cos he would snap me up in a minute..between my organizational skills, energy and personality he was ready to hire me...but unfortunately he was also unemployed.

On the other hand, I have been told when in the main office..they were decided who on staff was what character on LOVE BOAT...my boss declared I was the "Julie" of our building...I think that is a good thing :whistle:

• Hugs 1

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

I smacked right into that reality this morning.  I've been playing with the idea for about a year.  Feeling stressed, changing procedures, soldiering through. Today, I firmly realize that I cannot do this much longer.  That makes me sad.  Plus Einstein just lost his job in the closing of the engineering center.

15 hours ago, Airehead said:

No response required.  I feel better just saying it out loud here.

I think this is great.  I'm not sad for you like the others -- but excited as hell for you at coming to this conclusion.  It's a very liberating feeling reaching the finality.  The hard part is over. Make the most of it.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I burned oot years ago but I keep plugging away. I feel like a marathoner struggling to get to the finish line. My nipples are bleeding but at least I haven't yet pooped myself. :D

I'm in a demanding field and I'm losing interest.  Old guys in tech don't last long either because of burn out or salary.  I'd recon it's a little bit of both for me.  Guys that get high end salary need to earn their keep and I feel like I'm certainly not doing that. I'm not a top paid employee but I feel confident that others could do my job for $30K less... a.k.a. college grads.

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I'm in a demanding field and I'm losing interest.  Old guys in tech don't last long either because of burn out or salary.  I'd recon it's a little bit of both for me.  Guys that get high end salary need to earn their keep and I feel like I'm certainly not doing that. I'm not a top paid employee but I feel confident that others could do my job for $30K less...

Sounds like it is time for you to move to management.  :)

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Sounds like it is time for you to move to management.  :)

Except I'm not a good liar and I have no interest in orchestrating other people's affairs,.  Being homeless in Sacromento and plucking fruit outside of @Page Turner's house seems like a good alternative though.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I changed my job January 1. I’ll call it growing pains, and coming to acceptance with what I’ve had to give up to make this necessary change as my current emotional state. But I’ve also learned this week about the IRS Rule of 55, which would shorten my need to endure anything by 4 1/2 years. Now if I can just make it 6 more years! ?

• Heart 1

I've changed jobs more than just a few times.

I was reasonably happy in the Navy, but the wind down of the war left us in an unstable position as rules and regulations and paperwork and BS began to reassert itself over getting the job done.  Having worked behind the curtain I was not as happy being restored to the cut your hair, shine your shoes Navy.

Became a district sales rep for Stewart Warner selling automotive servicing equipment through Auto Parts houses.  Started strong hit the gas crisis and found my customers going under faster than they could pay for what they bought.

Worked for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft in the engine test cell facility.  Worked my way up from the bottom to the middle in 18 years.  They left me.

Worked for a calibration business for a while.  I was uncomfortable about what I viewed as unsavory business practices and I left just a few weeks before a new owner came in and frog marched my former bosses out of the building.

Temped in various electronics jobs, landed in a research facility that I absolutely loved.  The parent company closed it but hired me as a consultant.  Long term consultants make good money but few friends in the plants in which they work.

Moved into another research position with my former bosses from the closed facility.  Loved it.  We got bought and the gradual downhill slide began as we were placed under the control of overpaid, underqualified corporate managers who lived the dream of the value of next quarters stock bonus value.  (this latter trait has been identified and is undergoing change in business schools as a generally bad idea)  I got laid off just before my retirement age.  They sometimes hire me back as a temp to do the things they don't.

Took a part time job in a hobby shop.  Loved it for a while.  Got old and grumpy.  Retired for good.

Change is opportunity.  When you come to a fork in the road.............reference to Yogi Berra.

• Heart 1