National Parks

Parr8hed

How many have you been to?  Do you seek them out?  

Seeing the Grand Canyon has really awakened my senses to want to see more of them.  We're going to Branson MO this summer so we will see Dogwood Canyon and Table rock.  We'll also be going to Colorado so will see Rocky Mountain National Park.  

I am going to make an effort to start seeking them out more.  

• Heart 3

29 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

How many have you been to?  Do you seek them out? 

Been to about 20 of the 60 NPs.  We plan a vacation around them every year or two.  It's a blast, and I wish we started earlier.

Buy an annual park pass. Then get your wife/kids the National Park passport and start stamping your way through all of the National Parks!  And the assorted National Forests, National Memorials, National Monuments, National Seashores, etc.!

image.thumb.png.a52d8cab446bb3c8099eab2cd72a85a7.png

Parks I've been to (15):

Mount Rainier

North Cascades

Olympic 

Glacier

Denali

Yellowstone

Grand Tetons

Crater Lake

Shenandoah

Everglades

Arches

Canyonlands

Redwoods

Rocky Mountain

Haleakala

TODO (soon):

Yosemite

Kings Canyon

Sequoia

Joshua Tree

Grand Canyon

Bryce Canyon

Mt Zion

Badlands

Death Valley

I've seen a lot of national monuments too.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I've been to Sleeping Bear Dunes, Pictured Rocks, Grand Canyon, Shenandoah National Park and Everglades National Park.  I drove really close to New River Gorge National Park but didn't go.

Expanding the list to National "xxxxx" (Lakeshores, Seashores, Monuments, Forest, etc.) means we all have a few great options right outside our doors!  It really is awesome, but I'd love to see some of these lesser protected areas bumped up to full National Parks with their better (but not perfect) protections.

Arches, Badlands, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Haleakala, Hawaii Volcanoes, Joshua Tree, Mount Rainier, Olympic, Petrified Forest, Redwood, Saguaro, Sequoia, Shenandoah, Yellowstone, and Yosemite. I’ve been just outside of but didn’t enter Rocky Mountain and Great Smoky Mountains. Someday I will. 

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Dottie said:

May I ask what you found amazing about it?

We took the bus in, maybe 30 or 40 miles and got off.  We brought lunch and were truly in the middle of nowhere.  Not another living creature for miles.  So peaceful.  Then we heard a bear, it was probably miles away, but still terrifying.

I felt so at peace there.

I've been to a bunch, but I don't keep track of which ones. I worked in one. Now I live within biking distance of two. It's pretty amazing to be in one with nobody around. I was fishing on Jenny Lake this fall and realized I was the only person there.  One of these winters, I'd like to ski to Old Faithful. 

97% of the land in our county is held by the federal Gov't. It's hard not to be in a NP, WR, or NF.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, dennis said:

I've been to a bunch, but I don't keep track of which ones. I worked in one. Now I live within biking distance of two. It's pretty amazing to be in one with nobody around. I was fishing on Jenny Lake this fall and realized I was the only person there.  One of these winters, I'd like to ski to Old Faithful. 

97% of the land in our county is held by the federal Gov't. It's hard not to be in a NP, WR, or NF.

The day we skied to Jenny Lake was like that. No one on the trail but us. Felt like you had the world to yourself. I’d do a ski to Old Faithful?

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We took the bus in, maybe 30 or 40 miles and got off.  We brought lunch and were truly in the middle of nowhere.  Not another living creature for miles.  So peaceful.  Then we heard a bear, it was probably miles away, but still terrifying.

I felt so at peace there.

I drove out there, stayed in a hotel nearby, and then took a flight around the mountain on a beautiful day.  I guess like 80% of the time it's covered in clouds and you can't see it.  It was a memorable moment. And you're right.  If you want to get off the beaten path -- that's the place. 

2 minutes ago, Zackny said:

The day we skied to Jenny Lake was like that. No one on the trail but us. Felt like you had the world to yourself. I’d do a ski to Old Faithful?

It is pretty amazing that you can be in one of the 10 busiest parks in the country and have the place to yourself.

It's about a 40-45 mile ski from West or Flagg Ranch. I need to improve my skills and fall less. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

Did you decide which ones?

We have-ish.  We decided to limit ourselves to three weeks for this trip so we focusing on whatvis further away.  i.e. we are spending very little time in Washington as they are just next door and we will plan a future trip to just there.  My wife has a whole itinerary laid out of both National and State parks, including (but not limited to) Yellowstone, the Badlands, Rocky Mountain National Parks, plus a couple canyon state parks.  We are also looking at things like the needle highway (or whatever it is called) the beartooth highway and a stop in colorado Springs to visit a friend of hers.

We are going to leave Arizona, Utah and Nevada for another trip and come back across and go to Portland as we have never been there and friends rave about the food there.

She has a binder in the works already, once firmed up I will give you the details, I cant remember all the places off the top of my head

58 minutes ago, dennis said:

NF are a fancy title for a farm system that supplies the private logging industry. That's all they do, really.

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

We have-ish.  We decided to limit ourselves to three weeks for this trip so we focusing on whatvis further away.  i.e. we are spending very little time in Washington as they are just next door and we will plan a future trip to just there.  My wife has a whole itinerary laid out of both National and State parks, including (but not limited to) Yellowstone, the Badlands, Rocky Mountain National Parks, plus a couple canyon state parks.  We are also looking at things like the needle highway (or whatever it is called) the beartooth highway and a stop in colorado Springs to visit a friend of hers.

We are going to leave Arizona, Utah and Nevada for another trip and come back across and go to Portland as we have never been there and friends rave about the food there.

She has a binder in the works already, once firmed up I will give you the details, I cant remember all the places off the top of my head

I think that's a good plan.  Seriously.  I have been to 15 NP and I think of those you listed, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons you will like the best.  IMHO I think you should squeeze Glacier NP in there as well.  I'm not dissin' Rocky Mountain NP but in my book Glacier blows it out of the water.    Having said that, Estes Park is a cool town on the RMNP boundary. I stayed there a night but would have been happy to stay 3 or 4.

I'm sure I'm missing some but I can recall Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Great Smoky Mountains, Arcadia,  Teddy Roosevelt, Badlands, Glacier, Indiana Dunes (before they were named a national park), Petrified Forest and Redwood,   Some were when I was a kid but others were on my own. 

Most of the time, the park was the main purpose of the trip.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I would definitely add Custer State Park in South Dakota to the list when you are planning to go to the Badlands.  Beautiful state park and interesting wildlife and less crowded than a lot of national parks.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I think that's a good plan.  Seriously.  I have been to 15 NP and I think of those you listed, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons you will like the best.  IMHO I think you should squeeze Glacier NP in there as well.  I'm not dissin' Rocky Mountain NP but in my book Glacier blows it out of the water.    Having said that, Estes Park is a cool town on the RMNP boundary. I stayed there a night but would have been happy to stay 3 or 4.

Estes is another one we are going to.  The thing with Glacier is it is relatively close to home and we want our canoe when we do that area.  It will be a whole different trip tp do that and southern BC and Alberta

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

That second picture is Lake Quinault lodge. It is in a NF. Those hiking trails are amazing. 

Just because there is some logging does not mean the NF has nothing to offer. Land of many uses.

I tease.  I also didn't mean to imply that all NFs are bad.  I'm simply stating what the purpose of the NFs are.  It is not to 'protect' them.  It is to claim economic interests.

Yes, I knew that was Quinault Lodge.  I've stayed there a couple times.  There are some great hiking trails out of there -- especially heading into the park.

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

I tease.  I also didn't mean to imply that all NPs are bad.  I'm simply stating what the purpose of the NPs are.  It is not to 'protect' them.  It is to claim economic interests.

Yes, I knew that was Quinault Lodge.  I've stayed there a couple times.  There are some great hiking trails out of there -- especially heading into the park.

That's not exactly true. Land of many uses. Yes, there is some logging, but also recreation and some areas are protected.

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

That's not exactly true. Land of many uses. Yes, there is some logging, but also recreation and some areas are protected.

But it's not exactly false either.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm for NFs.  But they are not what people think they mean -- or should mean. The certainly didn't protect the Cascades around here. 

Just now, Dottie said:

But it's not exactly false either.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm for NFs.  But they are not what people think they mean -- or should be. The certainly didn't protect the Cascades around here. 

Land of many uses. How many times do I have to say it.

That was kind of the point of the spotted owl controversy. NF land that was protected not harvested.

Just now, 12string said:

been to a ton of them, It would take a while to remember all of them.  Probably even hit a few that I didn't know I hit.   Always great destinations.

I think it's important to see the gems of our country.  It's something to be proud of as an American.  That's the way I feel anyway.  

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I would definitely add Custer State Park in South Dakota to the list when you are planning to go to the Badlands.  Beautiful state park and interesting wildlife and less crowded than a lot of national parks.  

Custer is in too(I just confirmed with my event coordinator)  we are camping at Sylvan Lake and doing some hikes 

Been to

Acadia

Denali

Everglades

Arches

Canyonlands

Capitol Reef

Bryce

zion

Grand Canyon

Yellowstone

Grand Teton

Isle Royale

talking about a spring cycling trip to Yellowstone, GTNP and Glacier. 

6 hours ago, Zephyr said:

A lot in Canada, actually lived in the middle of one for 4 years.

Going to hit a bunch of US ones on our June trip.

which one was that...Banff or?

I've been to major ones....

Banff (of course many, many times), Yoho, Revelstoke, Glacier National (in British Columbia), Gulf Islands National, Prince Edward Island National, Jasper, Elk Island, Kootenay, Waterton, Bruce Penisula, Thousand Islands, Fundy Bay National.  I have not gone to national parks in the Arctic or near the circle.  I haven't been Haida Gawai nor Gros Morne yet and actually never went into Georgian Bay National..... just on the edges of Lake Huron very close.

In the US...only Glacier National in Montana.  

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/recherche-parcs-parks-search  For Caanadian national parks.

image.thumb.png.75f43104cd601252d090972014638ecd.png

Banff National Park below near Lake Louise   Only 180 km. from home.  I have biked twice in summer from town of Banff...it is 130 km. one way to home.

snowshoeingtowards-lake-louise.jpg?w=768

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Acadia

Biscayne

Carlsbad

Everglades

Gateway Arch (didn’t know this was a NP)

Grand Canyon

Grand Teton

Great Smoky Mountains

Haleakala

Volcanoes

Redwoods

Sequoia

Shenandoah

Virgin Islands

Yosemite

Yellowstone

I believe I’ve been to Petrified Forest and Mesa Verde as a young child, and been around the Badlands.

• Heart 1

I haven't made it to many.  I've been to a few like Acadia National Park in Maine, Yellowstone three times and some National Park Service monuments like Devil's Tower.

I've been to a lot of National Park Service Battlefields including the Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana, Fort McHenry in Baltimore and a lot of local Civil War battlefields, some many times each. Within 1.5 - 2.5 hours of my home are: Gettysburg, Antietam, Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and some minor battlefields and key sites like Harper's Ferry.