Stocks soaring

MickinMD

The markets been rising at the end of most days recently, but today it dropped from about a 2/3% gain to a 1/2% gain.

I think that means the smart money realized it was "irrational exuberance."

I'll will probably go down tomorrow.  The P/E of the S&P 500 is 25.7 right now and it's normally been in the 18-19 range during the low-inflation 2000's until around 2016 when it began creeping up.  So it's about 1/3 overpriced right now on average, but even if it returns to 19 over the next five years, you can expect about a 6% annual return which should beat bonds, property and gold.  Of course, there can be crashes, but if you stick with sector-leader value stocks, a diverse basket of at least 8 of them has virtually no chance to lose money over a decade as demonstrated by almost every 10 year period - even overlapping ones - since the Great Depression.

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Couch_Incident said:

Agreed.  I have no idea why anyone would want to fly in and out of Iran.  Especially after what happened yesterday.

Mudkipz

A number of the Canadians on that plane, with many from Alberta....were themselves children of Iranian immigrants or were immigrants long ago.  Those who keep in touch with Iran regularily could assess the risks better than we all could...unless some of us know an Iranian well who keeps abreast of the politics and daily living situation there.

A better way of assessing is this:  Hong Kong situation for past few months, clearly shows that it would intimidate a lot of tourists.  However if one was already studying in a program or joint program involving HK institution and another country, or has very close family members, some might see it not as "risky" or know via their family /friends living in the city, what absolutely to avoid.