need a little help

KrAzY

Is there a way to run a plate of a vehicle?

the reason I'm Asking is I checked the trail cams on our property and I have had the same vehicle there a few times within the last month. They show up and turn around mid driveway where I want to put our new cabin. It has Wisconsin plates..... The cabin is in a small town of 600 people and 1.5 hours from the boarder of Wi. I will be back up here in a few days and will check the cams again, and if they return I will be making out a report. The good news is I have them trespassing with posted signs in the picture, their plate number and also caught on three cams throughout the property.

I imagine once you make the report the police will be able to run the number.  You may be disappointed in the police response if the trail camera only shows the car and not the face of a person.  The people who were actually in the car could then deny they were, as the pictures provide no proof of that.

Keep in mind that once the police show the trespasser(s) the pictures you will probably have to move your trail cameras, as they will figure out from the pictures where the trail cameras are.  Then they will drive back to your property, find the trail cameras, and steal them.

People tend to be creatures of habit, settling into a routine.  I'd look at the time and dates of the pictures and see if you can detect a pattern when they are on your property.  If you do, let the police know that as well.  If the police decide to investigate, they can use the information to narrow down the time when they may be able to catch the people on your property.

I have the cams locked to the trees, and they are elevated to where you need a ladder to reach two of them. Tue other one is about 4 feet off the ground and bolted to the tree in a bulletproof container..
I will check out to see if there is any pattern to this madness.

when I do finally call the police, I will be prepared to move them to new locations. That's the good thing of living a largely wooded lot. :)

No joke.. I was pricing some out this morning.. Don't know if I want to drop the cash on it or just use a board with gutter nails.

How much do they cost?

What is your conjecture as to why they have selected your property and that spot to turn around?  Is it always from the same direction that they head?

How much do they cost?

What is your conjecture as to why they have selected your property and that spot to turn around?  Is it always from the same direction that they head?

The strips cost around $450 for a good set like the cops use. 

you tell me what they are up to...

I wonder if they have a trail cam close to where they turn around.. I will look for it tonight when I am up there.

People will do this sort of thing when they don't think a property owner is ever there at the property. They may be out there scouting for hunting season or they may be growing pot, or they may be running a still. Hell, they may even be digging ginseng or something like that 

Call the local police with what you have and then look into some booby traps

• Heart 1

People will do this sort of thing when they don't think a property owner is ever there at the property. They may be out there scouting for hunting season or they may be growing pot, or they may be running a still. Hell, they may even be digging ginseng or something like that 

Call the local police with what you have and then look into some booby traps

Booby traps?? Like:

fish hook with clear string hanging from a tree

hollowed out mouse trap with 12g shell,

wood spike strip,

pvc pipe with wood, nail, and 12g shell

Oh the list can go on...... I am not just a trainer for WMD and SAR, but also have been in on some of WI and OH pot busts and meth lab take downs. I know a lot of the things to look for and I love tracking

Here is a birds eye view of the property. 

The arrows are the boundary lines, the purple circle is where they turn around, and the green circle is where out cabin is.. It seems they never head up the hill to the cabin, but are always just in that turn around. 

Driveway entrance is about 150 feet from neighbors driveway.. It is very well hidden and only someone that knew it was there would know about it. 

I like tracking, too. I would go out to where they turn around and see if you can pick up any tracks. My guess would be they have pot, a lab, or a still out there

chances are they are the only people going out there, so it should be easy to pick up a trail.

when you go to take a look around, don't go out there alone and definitely go out there well armed.

Here is a birds eye view of the property. 

The arrows are the boundary lines, the purple circle is where they turn around, and the green circle is where out cabin is.. It seems they never head up the hill to the cabin, but are always just in that turn around. 

Driveway entrance is about 150 feet from neighbors driveway.. It is very well hidden and only someone that knew it was there would know about it. 

Hmm, that is pretty far back from the road just as a turn-around point.  Maybe a gate?  I don't know what to tell you, other than it is weird.  How often has this happened?

I like tracking, too. I would go out to where they turn around and see if you can pick up any tracks. My guess would be they have pot, a lab, or a still out there

chances are they are the only people going out there, so it should be easy to pick up a trail.

when you go to take a look around, don't go out there alone and definitely go out there well armed.

I always carry my bow and my 9mm on my hip. 

The tracks are hard to follow since there are herds of deer and other animals that wander the area. 

Hmm, that is pretty far back from the road just as a turn-around point.  Maybe a gate?  I don't know what to tell you, other than it is weird.  How often has this happened?

this has happened 3 times so far in the last month and a half. A gate would work, but I don't want to spend the money on something I should not have too. 

I always carry my bow and my 9mm on my hip. 

The tracks are hard to follow since there are herds of deer and other animals that wander the area. 

this has happened 3 times so far in the last month and a half. A gate would work, but I don't want to spend the money on something I should not have too. 

How about a chain attached to a couple pieces of pipe driven into the ground?  That is cheap, and sends a message.

I could always go chain from tree to tree, and have it looped low in the tall grass so they rip off their bumper heading in...

Of maybe a trip wire with a large log attached to it to smash the car... hahaha that is so cartoonish! 

From the time stamps on the pictures you posted it appears the jeep enters the property and almost immediately turns around and drives out.

To me, that means they are not tending anything like a still or plants.  They aren't dropping anything off like a delivery because your cameras would pick up the person(s) who arrive later to retrieve it.

I suspect they are looking to meet someone.  They see the person or people aren't there, and they turn around to leave because they have no reason to stay.

I would also suspect that your property is probably one of several such places in the area that these people use, because if they are setting up remote places to meet for whatever reason they would have back-up locations to transact the business they are about.

You may want to put a light chain across the road and hide a camera near it, as it may net you a photo of the person(s), especially if they get out to move the chain.  Making it an especially light chain, like a swingset type chain, may actually encourage them to get out of the jeep to remove it, particularly if the chain is only clipped in place and isn't locked.  I don't think they will drive through it, as they probably don't want people to know what they are doing and where they are.

I think a chain across the road with a picture of their jeep is a good idea.  To make sure they see it I'd put in on a post, supported by the chain, in the middle of the driveway and also put an enlarged picture of their plate on it, and if you're lucky, a picture of them taken when they moved the chain.  Of course that might just encourage them to cover their plate if the keep trespassing.   But I think once the people know their remote meeting place is being watched they will find other places to conduct their affairs.

I'd also suggest moving a camera near the road so you can see what direction they come from.  Not sure traffic would cause so much movement the camera memory would fill up, but that information could be useful to the police.

If you do enlist the help of the police, I'm sure you have the good sense to avoid setting up nail strips or booby traps just in case they come to check on your property.  If you do want to set up nail strips, I'd recommend letting the police know and also setting up another barrier (chain, gate, etc.) between the road and the strips so the trespassers have to perform a deliberate action to get to the strips.

From the time stamps on the pictures you posted it appears the jeep enters the property and almost immediately turns around and drives out.

To me, that means they are not tending anything like a still or plants.  They aren't dropping anything off like a delivery because your cameras would pick up the person(s) who arrive later to retrieve it.

I suspect they are looking to meet someone.  They see the person or people aren't there, and they turn around to leave because they have no reason to stay.

I would also suspect that your property is probably one of several such places in the area that these people use, because if they are setting up remote places to meet for whatever reason they would have back-up locations to transact the business they are about.

You may want to put a light chain across the road and hide a camera near it, as it may net you a photo of the person(s), especially if they get out to move the chain.  Making it an especially light chain, like a swingset type chain, may actually encourage them to get out of the jeep to remove it, particularly if the chain is only clipped in place and isn't locked.  I don't think they will drive through it, as they probably don't want people to know what they are doing and where they are.

I think a chain across the road with a picture of their jeep is a good idea.  To make sure they see it I'd put in on a post, supported by the chain, in the middle of the driveway and also put an enlarged picture of their plate on it, and if you're lucky, a picture of them taken when they moved the chain.  Of course that might just encourage them to cover their plate if the keep trespassing.   But I think once the people know their remote meeting place is being watched they will find other places to conduct their affairs.

I'd also suggest moving a camera near the road so you can see what direction they come from.  Not sure traffic would cause so much movement the camera memory would fill up, but that information could be useful to the police.

If you do enlist the help of the police, I'm sure you have the good sense to avoid setting up nail strips or booby traps just in case they come to check on your property.  If you do want to set up nail strips, I'd recommend letting the police know and also setting up another barrier (chain, gate, etc.) between the road and the strips so the trespassers have to perform a deliberate action to get to the strips.

Good points, I have a cam set up on a tree pointing down the drive, it is on video record so once it is triggered it will give 30 seconds of video. I should have a picture of the person without a problem. 

I will try a light chain or a good 1/5 rope across the drive.. 

For a camera at the road.. it is a fine idea, but it is also not a busy road.. I would say about 50 cars a day head down it max. The only problem is I do not know if I have a place to set one up down there.. If worse comes to worse I will post one in the scrubs and thistle around the location. 

I am guessing they might have a WiFi trail cam.. they just into the proximity of it and it will download pictures to their computer. Since I know they have to be within 50 feet of it, I will go looking for it today when I get up there. If I do find it, I will remove it from the tree and put it in either a new location, or wrap it up for christmas and place it in the driveway for them. I will not destroy it since it is not my property, but I will have fun with it if I can :)

I will not destroy it since it is not my property, but I will have fun with it if I can :)

Get a pair of Groucho Marx glasses, and put them on when you search for the camera so they don't have a picture of you on the camera.  Once you find it, take pictures of the camera on your property.  Then take the camera down and turn it over to the local police, saying it's not yours but you found it on your property and you want them to keep it safe in case anyone comes to claim it.

When you take the camera down, put up a small sign in its place that says that says "You can claim your camera at the local police station." and list the address since they are out of towners.  You can make a simple sign by printing it out on your computer, putting the paper sheet into a ziplock bag, then nailing the bag to a board and nailing that to the tree at the location of the camera.  They will find it because once they drive onto your property and don't pick up the camera wifi, they will get out of the Jeep to see what's up.

Doing this gives them the choice of going to the police station to collect the camera and effectively confessing that they trespassed on your property, or just going away and then they are out the cost of the camera.

• Heart 1

Take the memory card out and add some pictures of bigfoot and chupacabras and stuff to it and then put that back in the camera.  Or I will send you pictures of me you can put on there if you really want to get to them.

sounds like a plan if I can find it.... And I'm not mean enough to make the person see pictures of you :d