Heart valve repair

Airehead

I don't recall the details of my Dad's heart surgery, but I'm pretty sure they did a valve replacement.  He was significantly older than Einstein at the time and had other health issues which made any surgery more tricky.  The recovery took longer than we expected.  Physically he was doing ok, but my Mom would say that he just didn't seem like himself - more emotionally drained.  But he lived for many years after that (at least 10, and I think closer to 15) without any heart complications and his death had nothing to do with his heart. It took some time, but he also became his old self as well. 

I'm sorry you both have to deal with this, but at the time of my Dad's surgery, my friend who was a doctor at Columbia kept assuring me that he understands it's a big deal to the patient and their family, but that this is a routine surgery.  Einstein is in much better shape than my Dad was, so I'd expect him to have an even better experience, particularly since it sounds like this surgery is less extensive.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

If you have had this surgery, would you share your experience. Einstein just learned today that he will be having it. Genetic conditioning that has been followed for 20:years. And something to surgical help with a fib also

Also, Mick Jagger had heart valve replacement this summer and was back on tour within a few months.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

My mother had a valve replaced about 15 years ago. She's still kicking at 86 YO. I don't remember if she had a pig valve or mechanical one. I know that she's on Coumadin, a blood thinner, and has to watch what she eats plus get a blood test every couple of months.

Mechanical heart valves require an INR of just under 3.0 thus Coumadin and blood tests to confirm that INR. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Mechanical heart valves require an INR of just under 3.0 thus Coumadin and blood tests to confirm that INR. 

This.  It's worth looking into the different types of valves and discussing with your surgeon.  The procedures themselves are fairly straightforward these days for the most part. 

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Why oh why is he Einstein, is it some sort of aggressive deprecation or is there an innocent story behind it?

Air wick did it and it fits. 

9 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

This.  It's worth looking into the different types of valves and discussing with your surgeon.  The procedures themselves are fairly straightforward these days for the most part. 

They said that it was big to patients and their families but basically routine. 

• Heart 3