So, guess what dumb shit did today??!!

smudge

6 minutes ago, smudge said:

Basically branded myself.

Was putting new batteries in my heater, and for some reason one of the spring ends started glowing red. WTH??!! I popped the batteries out right away. And then I had the bright idea to touch the spring (no longer red) to make sure it wasn't crisp and shot. The spring is fine. And my finger has finally stopped hurting.

brand.thumb.jpg.aa5f4d3518706de75d78a38aab4009bf.jpg

I would go around telling people that your hand was electric and that that finger was the power button

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

34 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What is that symbol........open apple reheat?

Did the heater survive having the batteries in backwards?

Is that what I did??? OMG. I am pretty sure they were going in properly, but they got cattywhumpus cuz it's such a tight fit. I don't know. I just know it worked great once I got the batteries in the heater properly and my finger shoved into a snowbank!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, smudge said:

Is that what I did??? OMG. I am pretty sure they were going in properly, but they got cattywhumpus cuz it's such a tight fit. I don't know. I just know it worked great once I got the batteries in the heater properly and my finger shoved into a snowbank!

I suppose it might be possible in a poorly designed unit to get a battery diagonally into the area so that both ends of the battery were connected to the same polarity.  That would result in a dead short across the battery and the spring would be passing a whole bundch (technical calibration term) of current.  That would have to be a truly awful design for a battery compartment because the designer should know that if something is possible, it will happen right or wrong.

Backwards installation should be protected by diodes preventing reverse current flow though so perhaps that wasn't the problem either.  I have installed AA cells in an electronic thingamajig though and had them get very hot very fast.  I didn't burn myself but I'll bet the awshit was just as loud

• Heart 2

I tried to talk some sense into a teacher.  Yes, pointless exercise.  So then I had to help Graham completely redo his science fair project at the very last second because our chosen topic and resulting data didn't fit the format that was expected and not properly conveyed at the start.

So now he will get full credit on it, even though he's probably the only one in his class that had to learn algebra this week in order to do his project and actually did something with beneficial real world application.  We did Mechanical Levers (he wants to be a Mechanical Engineer).  So yes, Graham now know how to calculate forces on a lever, so he can effectively built a catapult.  And I was ready to catapult something at his teacher.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Graham now know how to calculate forces on a lever, so he can effectively built a catapult.  And I was ready to catapult something at his teacher.

Well if you catapult a cat at the teacher make sure it’s a dead cat, the ASPCA frowns on catapulting live cats.

• Sad 1

When I raced electric RC cars, we kept wire cutters in our pockets at all times. You never knew when a dead short might occur and cutting the wire was the quickest, safest fix. Saw too many people blister fingers trying to disconnect a plug or pull out to shorting wire. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Well if you catapult a cat at the teacher make sure it’s a dead cat, the ASPCA frowns on catapulting live cats.

Dang it, I guess I need to stop the monthly ASPCA donation first then.

Now if you would've said PETA, I'd launch an entire litter just irk them.

28 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

My younger brother still wears a scar on his wrist where his watch band shorted the positive post on a car battery to the ground some 40 odd years ago. The watch band was glowing red by the time he managed to pull it free.

There is a very important reason I wore plastic watches ever since I joined the navy.  It's a bit like not wearing a tie in a machine shop.  In addition to no metal watches, it's also no rings or jewelry of any sort.  High voltage does not care who or what you are.  All it sees is ground getting too close.

• Heart 1