Remember the stress test I was supposed to have

maddmaxx

Well it's finally scheduled for next week.  My doctors office has new staff and they submitted the wrong codes 1st to the insurance company which resulted in the test being canceled back in early December and second with the replacement test ok'd by the insurance company they submitted wrong codes again getting me an appointment for a consult instead of the test.  Now that the holidays are over and no one has any excuses left I took matters into my own hands, scheduled the test with the help of a nice woman at the hospital and then got her on the line with my doctors office to lead them through the submission of the proper codes.  The hospital then confirmed that they had the right codes and the insurance company has agreed to pay for it (I hope)

Of course during all this my blood pressure went up about 20 points and some mild angina set in.  Maybe I've already had the stress test.

• Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

I’ve noticed it seems the “medical system” (hospitals, insurance, doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc….) has become a major bureaucracy.  And somewhere along the way you may get some medical care.

Thursday, my wife had a CAT scan, and an MRI.  This was scheduled for a few weeks.  Late morning on Wednesday, a nurse called for my wife, who wasn’t home.  I told the nurse, I’m her husband, what’s up, what do we need to know, etc…   The nurse wanted to call back and leave a voice mail, for my wife to call her. (calling them back, takes forever…)   I asked again, what do you need, etc??   The nurse had to verify she could talk to me.  After I passed the test, she asked if my wife had the contrast (some kind of barium laced liquid) to drink in advance of the test.  That was the first time we were told about that.  I had to drive to a local affiliated hospital and pick it up.  Then the nurse explains we need to arrive 1 hour early for labs (a blood test) before the CAT scan. That was the first we heard about that too.  Nothing in the orders we had about any of this.

On Thursday we arrive 1 hour early, my wife checks in.   The guy tells us to go to the waiting room for the CAT scan.   I asked what about the labs?  He tells me, there are no labs.  I asked, so why did the nurse call us about the labs that were needed before the scan?  He calls someone, and then he tells us to go downstairs to the get the labs done. 

Then we finally got to wait at for the scan.  30 minutes after the scheduled time, we ask the guy, so what happened to the 11:00 AM apt?  They were still waiting for the lab results, before they could inject more stuff (my wife probably could glow in the dark) to be sure her kidneys could remove that contrast from her blood.   25 more minutes and she finally got in for the scan. 

Of course, that made her late for the MRI.  At least the CAT scan guy did call the MRI guy and tell them we were going to be late, so they didn’t cancel that test.

And then the MRI tech asks my wife, do you have a ride home?  She asks why?  She was told, you shouldn’t drive now.  That was the first time she was told that she would need a drive home.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

8 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I’ve noticed it seems the “medical system” (hospitals, insurance, doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc….) has become a major bureaucracy.  And somewhere along the way you may get some medical care.

Thursday, my wife had a CAT scan, and an MRI.  This was scheduled for a few weeks.  Late morning on Wednesday, a nurse called for my wife, who wasn’t home.  I told the nurse, I’m her husband, what’s up, what do we need to know, etc…   The nurse wanted to call back and leave a voice mail, for my wife to call her. (calling them back, takes forever…)   I asked again, what do you need, etc??   The nurse had to verify she could talk to me.  After I passed the test, she asked if my wife had the contrast (some kind of barium laced liquid) to drink in advance of the test.  That was the first time we were told about that.  I had to drive to a local affiliated hospital and pick it up.  Then the nurse explains we need to arrive 1 hour early for labs (a blood test) before the CAT scan. That was the first we heard about that too.  Nothing in the orders we had about any of this.

On Thursday we arrive 1 hour early, my wife checks in.   The guy tells us to go to the waiting room for the CAT scan.   I asked what about the labs?  He tells me, there are no labs.  I asked, so why did the nurse call us about the labs that were needed before the scan?  He calls someone, and then he tells us to go downstairs to the get the labs done. 

Then we finally got to wait at for the scan.  30 minutes after the scheduled time, we ask the guy, so what happened to the 11:00 AM apt?  They were still waiting for the lab results, before they could inject more stuff (my wife probably could glow in the dark) to be sure her kidneys could remove that contrast from her blood.   25 more minutes and she finally got in for the scan. 

Of course, that made her late for the MRI.  At least the CAT scan guy did call the MRI guy and tell them we were going to be late, so they didn’t cancel that test.

And then the MRI tech asks my wife, do you have a ride home?  She asks why?  She was told, you shouldn’t drive now.  That was the first time she was told that she would need a drive home.

That’s one thing I can say about our doctors and their staff, we have no surprises. They inform us what time the tests are scheduled, what time to be there to prep for the tests, and how long the tests will take. With my wife they often sneak her in for a later scheduled test first if they have a chance so she doesn’t have to spend the entire day in testing.

• Awesome 1

My one experience with wrong codes was with my Blue Cross ID.

I have no copays with tests and my doctor added a Vitamin D test to the 12 other diabetic-related tests.  The lab got my ID wrong for the one new test.

Soon I got a bill for $256 in the mail from the lab.  A 60-second phone call straightened it out.

Soon I got an EOB statement from Blue Cross. They had paid the bill in full: $15.

It is disgusting that, if you don't have insurance and are likely in poor financial condition, you get charged 17x as much for the same medical service as an insurer and someone with insurance!  It is disgusting that it is legal to do so!

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

See, this sort of thing drives me nuts.

I work in our hospital's medical imaging office. I'm the one your doctor office calls to schedule your CT, MRI, mamm, ultrasound, nuclear testing, etc. We tell the doctor office all the damned time about this stuff, but do they pass this information on to the patient?? Nooooo. Ugh! We hear MANY times from patients they had no idea they needed to get lab work done (creatinine) and pick up redi-cat. And then there are times when their patient is having a head CT, and they send the patient to us to pick up redi-cat. Oh for fuck sake.... Redi-cat is for abdomen/pelvis; you know, the GI tract?!! NOT for brain! Or Chest!!! 

sigh...

P.S. No, she didn't need a driver. Why the heck did they tell her that??!! Unless she is claustrophobic and took meds to relax her. 

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Well it's finally scheduled for next week.  My doctors office has new staff and they submitted the wrong codes 1st to the insurance company which resulted in the test being canceled back in early December and second with the replacement test ok'd by the insurance company they submitted wrong codes again getting me an appointment for a consult instead of the test.  Now that the holidays are over and no one has any excuses left I took matters into my own hands, scheduled the test with the help of a nice woman at the hospital and then got her on the line with my doctors office to lead them through the submission of the proper codes.  The hospital then confirmed that they had the right codes and the insurance company has agreed to pay for it (I hope)

Of course during all this my blood pressure went up about 20 points and some mild angina set in.  Maybe I've already had the stress test.

And do not even get me started on prior auths!! Stupid doctor offices call us for the damned CPT codes. Shit I don't know the damned CPT code! Do I look like a coder?? No! F'in Google it, you lazy ass. And get it right so your patient can get his damned stress test in a timely manner!

Yup, these are the good times we have in the x-ray office. sigh....

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

See, this sort of thing drives me nuts.

I work in our hospital's medical imaging office. I'm the one your doctor office calls to schedule your CT, MRI, mamm, ultrasound, nuclear testing, etc. We tell the doctor office all the damned time about this stuff, but do they pass this information on to the patient?? Nooooo. Ugh! We hear MANY times from patients they had no idea they needed to get lab work done (creatinine) and pick up redi-cat. And then there are times when their patient is having a head CT, and they send the patient to us to pick up redi-cat. Oh for fuck sake.... Redi-cat is for abdomen/pelvis; you know, the GI tract?!! NOT for brain! Or Chest!!! 

sigh...

P.S. No, she didn't need a driver. Why the heck did they tell her that??!! Unless she is claustrophobic and took meds to relax her. 

I was confused about the reason why my wife was asked about driver for the ride home too.  No meds to relax her were used.  But by then, all we wanted to do was leave.   

Your comment about claustrophobic, probably explains why another patient came out of the MRI area and explained to the people waiting, “I can’t do this!  We are leaving!” 

I asked my wife how they MRI your head?  It sounded like some kind of cage was used to hold the head.  I’ll guess that maybe upsetting for some people.

32 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I was confused about the reason why my wife was asked about driver for the ride home too.  No meds to relax her were used.  But by then, all we wanted to do was leave.   

Your comment about claustrophobic, probably explains why another patient came out of the MRI area and explained to the people waiting, “I can’t do this!  We are leaving!” 

I asked my wife how they MRI your head?  It sounded like some kind of cage was used to hold the head.  I’ll guess that maybe upsetting for some people.

Ya, technically it's a coil, but we refer to it as the helmet. 

Some people are so claustrophobic, they see the MRI machine, stop, and say Nope!!