I feel like I am mentally almost ready for Christmas

Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...if you think it's weird now, back in ancient times (Before Mylar), we had metal foil tinsel.  That stuff was very strange.

We had the metal foil stuff as a kid.  Dad protected it like gold.  Every strand had to come off the tree individually and be placed on a folded piece of newspaper that was then folded specially to protect the tinsel for years of use to come.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

We had the metal foil stuff as a kid.  Dad protected it like gold.  Every strand had to come off the tree individually and be placed on a folded piece of newspaper that was then folded specially to protect the tinsel for years of use to come.

My mother still has a couple of unopened boxes of leaded tinsel.   She doesn't use it any more but she doesn't want to throw it away. :) 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Except, it is a Christian Holiday.  Why would Pagans name a holiday after Christ? 

That's what it says on the label.

But just how Christian is an orgy of materialism?

Not at all.

Look at the history of the thing.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, late said:

That's what it says on the label.

But just how Christian is an orgy of materialism?

Not at all.

Look at the history of the thing.

America is one of the only places I know that places materialism, as a cornerstone of Christmas.  Clearly, you need higher taxes.  Don't worry though, Canada is catching up. 

We have a $5000 Christmas budget with $200 allocated to each family member.  The remainder goes to charities.  I guess it is as material as one makes it.