Have you tried sport beans?

Road Runner

Not a fan of the processed energy foods.  I've tried them before and 'meh'.  On long rides I'll pack a bag with some craisins, walnuts and sunflower seeds or make snackwiches with graham crackers, peanut butter and fluff.  Wrap them in plastic wrap and they easily fit in the back pocket.  Fats,carbs and protein.  For caffeine I'll hit a coffee shop for a triple espresso.

That looks like a yummy flavor, but for some reason GU just messes with my brain like it would be weird to take it in.

I've been all about the Skratch Labs hydration mix and the rice bars in the cookbooks. Hmm, gotta start cookin' some rice to make bars.

Sport Beans saved me from bonking once. My daughter and I were on a small group ride and I figured that I had enough carbs to last until we stopped at a small gas station out in the boonies. It was closed.  :o  The next possible place was about 15 miles away and I was already feeling a little bad. A buddy had a couple of packs of Sport Beans and gave them to me and my daughter. I swear that I started feeling better in about 10 minutes and they got me to the next gas station where I could 'refuel'.

As odd as these seem, I used to like them.  Clif Shot Bloks.

http://www.clifbar.com/products/clif-shot/shot-bloks

They used to have a caffeinated cola flavor; sadly, those went away.  However, they digest easily, and on a hot day, they don't require as much washing down as an energy gel does.

I've never seen the Margarita or Tropical Punch flavors before; might need to check those out.  I met a bunch of folks from the Colorado branch of Clif on RAGBRAI some years back and had a blast with them.

Sports beans are good, and if you need some let me know... The jelly Belly factory about 30 min from me seeks to the WI people at a better price then the stores. 

They have a recovery bean also that is awesome! 

I like GU the best of everything I have tasted.. The orange and berry are the best ones IMO