SPOILER: Dramatic finish in Stage One

Road Runner

Certainly looked nasty.  Whatever it is (rotator cuff? collarbone?), with the way he rides, yanking on the handlebars, I can't see him continuing.

Unfortunately with the way he was leaning on that other guy (Gerrans?) I'm not sure how much sympathy to feel for him.

Woulda been something if Cancellara could have held on at the end - that was a surprise.

Certainly looked nasty.  Whatever it is (rotator cuff? collarbone?), with the way he rides, yanking on the handlebars, I can't see him continuing.

Unfortunately with the way he was leaning on that other guy (Gerrans?) I'm not sure how much sympathy to feel for him.

Woulda been something if Cancellara could have held on at the end - that was a surprise.

I agree that he was pushing on Gerrans and it was his fault, but I'm sure he didn't mean to cause a crash either.  

I thought of you when I saw the crash, RR.  Man, no way would I ever be involved in a peleton or en-masse sprint finish!

After all of my crashes, I think I have a greater sense of empathy for those on the ground than I used to.

I was going to catch that guy I was chasing, but that damned gate jumped out in front of me!   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

News report on Cavendish:

The Manx sprinter lost control of his front wheel as he attempted to emerge from the pack by shoving the Australian Simon Gerrans with his head and shoulders; he hit the deck heavily 250 metres from the finish line while the German Marcel Kittel sped to victory in a repeat of his win in last year’s opener in Corsica.

A statement from Cavendish’s Omega-Pharma-Quickstep team said x-rays had shown “ligament ruptures with an AC-joint dislocation”, which was causing Cavendish “a lot of pain”. The team added: “A final decision on his participation in [sunday’s] stage will be taken tomorrow morning.”

“I’m gutted about the crash today,” Cavendish said. “It was my fault. I’ll personally apologise to Simon Gerrans as soon as I get the chance. In reality I tried to find a gap that wasn’t really there.”

“He was very impatient,” said his team manager, Patrick Lefevre. “He wanted to win. He has already done this sprint 100 times in his head.”

This was Cavendish’s worst crash in his seven-year professional career – he has always tended to slide rather than bounce – and 3min 35sec after Kittel had arrived he pedalled painfully in, holding his wrist across his body at the awkward angle that always suggests a broken collarbone. The AC or acromioclavicular joint is the one between the collarbone and shoulder blade; the severity of such injuries varies but in the worst cases they can be as disabling as a fracture due to the pain, doctors say.