Meal for giving to family

Airehead

Meal Train says it is my turn on Wednesday. Family with four children, one of whom has special needs (so everything would be puréed for her).  Last several meals were lasagna, white chili, ham and scalloped potatoes. I am thinking sloppy joe, rolls, Mac and cheese, and raw veggies with dip. Kids should like that. Dad has to do the prep. Mom is having chemo and isn’t well.  

this feels a little lame. Do you have better ideas?

• Heart 3

That is very kind of you, especially since I know how busy you are.

Your choices sound very good.  The only "hot dish" I can think of is a rice and chicken casserole.  But I prefer your options.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-and-wild-rice-bake/

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, Kirby said:

That is very kind of you, especially since I know how busy you are.

Your choices sound very good.  The only "hot dish" I can think of is a rice and chicken casserole.  But I prefer your options.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-and-wild-rice-bake/

That sounds good too. Also easy to purée. 

Pan of lasagna (maybe more with veggies). Lasagna is not lame. Making lasagna from scratch takes time. I can't answer this question well, Airhead because how I cook would naturally be different than European style:  stir fried rice....with egg, peas, chopped ham, diced carrot, onion, etc.

A soup:  tomato-basil or butternut squash (with a chopped pureed apple or pear inside).  Some cut up crusty bread or interesting crackers on side.

• Heart 1

On 1/13/2020 at 8:28 AM, roadsue said:

A shepherds pie topped with tater tots...

Topped with tater tots?

That just sounds so wrong to me.  :(

And thanks, now I need to make Shepherds pie this weekend.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Please tell me you use lamb.  

No, ground beef.  Wife refuses to eat lamb, she thinks they are to cute.  Hard to believe she grew up on a farm sometimes, though she never raised sheep.  If she did, she wouldn't think they were so cute.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

No, ground beef.  Wife refuses to eat lamb, she thinks they are to cute.  Hard to believe she grew up on a farm sometimes, though she never raised sheep.  If she did, she wouldn't think they were so cute.

LOL.  You really should call it a rancher pie, then. 

• Heart 1

That's not lame.  Casseroles seem lame, they get a bad rap as a helper meal.  But consider the point.  You generally provide these meals to people who are just too time or energy burdened to make dinner.  So make sure it's something that requires very little effort to make ready to serve and to clean up  Pop it in the oven, pop it on a plate.  Don't go with the risotto or polentas unless you're going to their house to serve dinner and clean up after.