The Story of my sort of early Lunch

Kirby

I got up very early to run some errands this morning.  This made me feel productive.  But I was finished with my errands and wanted to pick up something for lunch on my way home.  This made me feel pleased.  But it was too early for real lunch food .  This made me feel perplexed.  Then I decided to stop at the local bagel store for a nice toasted bagel.  This made me feel very clever.  But when I pulled up in front of the store, it was closed.  Not closed like just not open yet, but boarded up and gone.  This made me very sad.  I went to the Dunkin Donuts a few stores down, but this made me feel sort of disloyal since I fear the opening of the Dunkin Donuts hurt the bagel store.  So I left the Dunkin Donuts (plus the line was long).  My bagel store was a real old fashioned store with proper accessories like cream cheese and lox and chicken salad.  It will be very missed.  After I left Dunkin Donuts I went to the new grocery store on the other side of the shopping center.  This also made me feel a bit disloyal since I think that store hurt some of the smaller, local delis and stores.  But they have good bagels and this made me feel a little bit better, even though I still feel sad.

The End

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

I'm very tunnel-visioned and if a store opens or closes, even if I pass by it a few days/week, I often don't notice it.

So I really hate it when I pull up to a store and see it boarded up.

I belong to a private Facebook page called, "I Grew Up in Brooklyn Park (Maryland)" - most of us members attended the now-closed Brooklyn Park High School.  Every so often, someone posts and old picture from the 70's, 60's, 50's or even way before and asks, "Guess what this is."  Like this picture of Ritchie Highway, about mid-way between Baltimore and Annapolis in the 50's and now. Everyone guessed the road, but not where on the road.

410365311_AcrossRitchieHwyfromGlenHavenCemetery.thumb.jpg.afb078411d1e2b4467672960c44b9692.jpg   151331238_Samespotnow-phonecompanybldgindistanceis3storiesnow2then.thumb.jpg.d533797bbc67b4322ec50d2e52da65b1.jpg

There have been so many restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, etc. that have opened and closed in the past half century that it's often hard to remember the name of the place even though we often went there.  Someone posted the Woolworth's Soda Counter menu from the late 60's where a bunch of us stopped a couple times a week for a "King Size" 10 cent Coke:

1046085889_WoolworthMenuLate60s.jpg.ebb57f512985f6d121661db30e12625e.jpg