Air Fryer vs Instapot!

Razors Edge

Is there a "better" appliance? Are they separate but equal? Are they complete nonsense?

Who has one/both?  What do you think?  Friends of ours were raving about their air fryer, and one of my sisters is always raving about her instapot, but I remain unswayed by either.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Is there a "better" appliance? Are they separate but equal? Are they complete nonsense?

Who has one/both?  What do you think?  Friends of ours were raving about their air fryer, and one of my sisters is always raving about her instapot, but I remain unswayed by either.

why?

I do not have an air fryer, but have an Instant pot that I probably use at least once a week, and usually more.

We have some great recipes (including a bean free vegetarian chili..., vegan if you don't top with cheese)

We love it and all three kids have one as well and use it all the time.

My sister and brother-in-law use and Instapot a lot and love it.

I have a 6 qt. pressure cooker and a 6 qt. crock pot and am used to how much time, etc. works best with them with various recipes so I've never felt the need for an Instapot.

As far as an air fryer goes, I've been tempted but most of my "fried" things are cooked by tossing them with a little olive oil and baking them and tweaking the ingredients and procedures until I got them just right.  So I'm tempted but also don't want to fix something that's not broken.

• Heart 2

Just now, MickinMD said:

So I'm tempted but also don't want to fix something that's not broken.

That's in line with my thinking. A neat device but one I would have to tweak existing or find new recipes for.  We've got enough recipes already, so I am less likely to look for new ones anymore. New ones still come and go, but there's little need for me to go out and reinvent everything.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Pretty good restraint for gadget men!:whistle: First, Square Wheels bashing cell phones, and now you questioning these appliances. You know, I have them 'all'.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That's in line with my thinking. A neat device but one I would have to tweak existing or find new recipes for.  We've got enough recipes already, so I am less likely to look for new ones anymore. New ones still come and go, but there's little need for me to go out and reinvent everything.

Something that fries and seems stupidly large is too much of a one-note device, all kitchen stuff is required to multitask.  

instapot is all the rage, I think even DH has one.  Get two and send me one. 

I've got this gadget in my kitchen called an electric range.  I find it to be the ultimate in functionality and use it for pretty much every meal.  So I haven't found a need for any other gadgets.

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I do not have an air fryer, but have an Instant pot that I probably use at least once a week, and usually more.

We have some great recipes (including a bean free vegetarian chili..., vegan if you don't top with cheese)

We love it and all three kids have one as well and use it all the time.

Frank X Tolbert just turned over in his grave and threw up.  

34 minutes ago, Indy said:

I've got this gadget in my kitchen called an electric range.  I find it to be the ultimate in functionality and use it for pretty much every meal.  So I haven't found a need for any other gadgets.

I am a bit surprised you upgraded to electricity.  Wood worked just fine.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I am a bit surprised you upgraded to electricity.  Wood worked just fine.

Never have had an indoor wood one, so not really an upgrade since that is what I've always had growing up.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

His mind will be blown if he ever get a gas stove!  But give him another decade.

Got one in my camper and wife prefers the electric because it's a flat top so really easy to clean.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

air fryer is no different than a convection oven from what I understand. I have a basket that would work quite well for fry baking.  That is basically what an air fryer is doing

I love my convection oven.

40 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Apparently @groupw has the Ninja instapot/air fryer combo.

I have thought about it..galley kitchen..I already store a crock pot above my head in a cabinet..cooking mostly for 1..yeah I don't see it on the horizon.

WoW loves it. There are times it’s a huge time saver and times it would be easier to just cook on the stove. But she enjoys hers. 

I have a couple pressure cookers, a couple crock pots, and an Instantapot.

If you don't have an Instapot, you need one.

It's a pressure cooker you don't have to watch like a hawk, it builds pressure, adjusts the pressure, releases the pressure, switches to keep warm...... I just did pulled pork in the Instapot.  In less than 2 hours, about 7 pounds of pork all done, with the juices pulled through better than marinating or slow cooking could do.

I'm trying to find  a fryer basket to put in my convection oven to use it as an air fryer.  I see no need for the countertop models.